ADVERTISEMENT

I want to diversify topics on DT.. INTERESTING SCIENCE - Is FAKE better than REAL, at times??

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
A lot of stuff out there has been talked about in terms of the offensiveness of the names of pancake syrups like Aunt Jemima and Mrs. Butterworth... After hearing from family members of the name originator, I think this is a tremendous waste of time and resources as they don't think it is offensive, racially, at all.. But the science is interesting regarding the product, to me..

First, there is a DIFFERENCE between REAL MAPLE SYRUP and PANCAKE SYRUP.... The most noticeable is the PRICE DIFFERENCE as real maple syrup is MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE.. If you understand the process between the 2 on a basic level, you kinda get why real maple syrup is so much more expensive.

REAL MAPLE SYRUP:

IN MAPLE TREES, IN WINTER AND EARLY SPRING IN THE NORTHERN STATES, water goes from the ground throughout the trees in freezing conditions, in the overnight/early morning hours. In the afternoon on those days, when it warms up a bit, there is a downward pressure in those trees that pushes the water downward back towards the ground.. That water mixes with starches in the trees to create what is called SAP.. So maple syrup has to be made in colder weather to be efficient using maple tree sap.

When the sap is collected, it is placed in evaporators, which boil off the water and concentrate the sugars in the sap that come from the starches.. Also, the sugars caramelize to create that brownish color and its flavor.. It takes roughly 42 gallons of maple tree sap to make one gallon of real maple syrup.. It is time consuming and uses a significant amount of energy so that is the reason it is very expensive when you buy it in the store, compared to pancake(fake) syrup. Caramelization is what gives the different grades and just about all real maple products that are edible have some relative amount of evaporation and caramelization.

PANCAKE SYRUP:

As opposed to real maple syrup, pancake syrup is the Aunt Jemima and Mrs. Butterworth syrup that we grew up with on our pancakes and waffles.. It is basically flavored corn syrup... Industrial in its process with lots of artificial flavorings and colors.. A MUCH MORE viscous texture than real maple syrup so its more pleasing to the tongue. It is constantly tested to see if the taste is in harmony with butter and pancakes/waffles in test labs so that is why you see terms like 'butter flavor' on the packaging.

If you have never had real maple syrup before, it will be a shocker to taste it for the first time compared to the 'fake' stuff.. Real maple syrup is more 'liquid like' in texture, most times, compared to 'more syrup like' in the fake stuff...A stronger taste that almost has an alcohol base to its flavor. Real maple syrup has complex flavors, like hints of vanilla and dates(fruit), if you pay attention..

Which is better for you?? Scientists are still debating that one.. Probably neither if you want to watch your diet.

I just brought this up because I think it is so ridiculous to focus on the name of the product when the substance of the product is more interesting to consider.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News