ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting starts very young

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
I have followed recruiting for a very long time.. Spent many hours in gyms. I don't do that so much anymore but I still read and hear a lot of information, even besides this site... I can tell you 3-4 recruited players from each HS class in Minnesota and I live over 500 miles away.. That is just how it happens.

I read a comment in another thread that had to do with talking about 2019 recruiting.... That is a sophomore in HS....I can guarantee that coaches have a good idea down to the 6th grade which kids have potential to be very good. Maybe even younger... AAU tournaments have made the recruiting world smaller and there are tons of websites out there that are trying their hand at exposing the world to these young kids.. Is it sleazy?? Depends on your perspective.. It can be.. It can also give kids opportunities not afforded to them otherwise.. But it is a reality that is going to stay.

Here are the 2019 Minnesota HS names that I guarantee MJH and crew will start to make more prominent on this site... Obviously Matt Hurt......Courtney Brown(F) Tyrell Terry(PG), Zeke Nnaji(Big), will also be on the list of kids recruited at the national level from Minnesota. I know there are more. David Roddy, Tyler Wahl, Bennett Otto, Zach Zebrowski, Julian Wright, Peter Anderson. Maybe not all these will be D1 players and some others unknown will develop out of nowhere. There are many many more that MJH may analyze and some will have maxed out their abilities and get passed up, I dont even have to talk to MJH to know that if these kids are healthy and remain in the state of Minnesota, they will be talked about by someone, at length. These are all kids that I will keep track of through the next couple of years. Think about this.. If I know about these kids, living over 500 miles away from the Twin Cities, how well do you think the college coaches know about these kids because that is their living??

2020, the name to know instate is Jalen Suggs for sure as a guard. There are guards named Dobbs and Patterson with a forward named Ijadimbola from Minnesota that I have my eyes and ears out about from this far away..An out of state EAST COAST 2020 name to keep track of is Jabari Abdur Rahim.. His dad, Shareef, played in the NBA after playing at University of California. Shareef is now an assistant director of operations for the NBA so he will probably stay in the NYC metro area so his kid will be playing HS ball there for 4 years.. Jabari is a 6-6 forward as a HS freshman in New Jersey and who knows how much more this kid will grow. My point is that it is not unusual for people to recruit 2019s and younger, if by nothing else, just watching games and keeping in contact with coaches of AAU and HS programs

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt Jessen-Howard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News