ADVERTISEMENT

Bball coaching carousel,,,,revisited

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
A couple of years ago, I brought up Danny Hurley's name as a future coach of an eastern school. At the time, Jim Calhoun was getting up there. Of course, Kevin Ollie has done a great job with the program and has a national title in his possession, since then. But once agian, the coaches talked about then are still in the arena and have done a great job keeping the success of their teams, as shown in this year's tournament.

At Wisconsin, I am not familiar with the program in terms of inside information but I cant help to think that Greg Gard is the coach-in-waiting for the Badgers.. He has proved himself as a good recruiter and developer of players so I would think he would stay in Madison when Bo hangs up the whistle. Brian Dutcher has waited as the 2nd in command for Steve Fisher forever so I think that he will eventually get the San Diego State job but who knows. Tom Izzo is 60 years old and who knows what will happen up there.

In my mind, the 2 most interesting guys may be up for the 2 most interesting jobs.... I think Brad Stevens will regret taking the Boston Celtics job if he hasn't already.. That team is a mess. I still see him coming back to the college game like PaPa Pitino, Calipari, Larry Brown, and Lon Krueger have done. The other guy is Bobby Hurley. I thought Danny at the time because Bobby was his assistant but now I think Bobby will be the one up for the top jobs. His Buffalo team played hard and good fundamentally in their development in the MAC.

I think the 2 jobs are Syracuse and Duke... At Syracuse, Boeheim announced he would be retiring soon. As a sidenote, when Boeheim took the job from Roy Danforth back in the mid 70's, Rick Pitino was an assistant on his staff. Just an FYI. Hurley is only 150 miles away from Syracuse in Buffalo.. It would make sense.. Of course, he would be a legacy pick as coach at Duke as his short term coaching resume is good and players seem excited to play hard for him. Stevens makes sense at Duke as Coach K likes him but maybe more back home if Indiana gets rid of Crean at some point. No rationale to get rid of Crean now though. Mike Brey at Notre Dame is in the Coach K "TREE" but I think he is too old for Duke to consider when Coach K leaves. But we all know there are a bazillion guys that Duke has had in their program under Coach K that are now head coaches, that will want the job.. Wojo, Amaker, Hurley, Johnny Dawkins, David Henderson, Jeff Capel, Chris Collins....The list doesn't end. North Carolina is another job that may come open in a few years as Roy Williams is getting up there in age. I could see Stevens coming to Louisville after PaPa Pitino leaves also as that isnt real far south of Indianapolis. I dont ever see Richard P. trying to follow in Dad's shoes.. Too much pressure and he will need to prove himself

This post was edited on 3/27 7:29 AM by Vifan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.