ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 basketball 2016-17: Wisconsin and Michigan State

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
I find these 2 Big Ten teams interesting to say the least.. I do have a lot of respect for Greg Gard and Tom Izzo, from a basketball standpoint, and this year these programs contrast each other as much as any in the Big Ten.

Gard's Wisconsin squad is probably the tallest team in the Big Ten and one of the most experienced.. He has 7 players(including walk ons) that are 6'8" or taller. People talk about Nigel Hayes, and rightfully so, but I think the key to their season will be their guard play.... They have to get production from the kid that redshirted last year, Brevin Pritzl. If he plays decent, Wisconsin will be a very tough 'out', all the way to the tournament. Bronson Koenig is a guard that can be a big game player. It is surprising that they did not rebound better with all that size last year but i would think they will try hard to get that fixed this year. I would anticipate they play mostly upper class kids the whole year.

Izzo's Spartans have a tough situation entering the season.. Transfer Ben Carter and senior Gavin Schilling were supposed to supply the experienced size and both are hurt.. The next 2 tallest players are both freshmen at 6-8(Nick Ward) and 6-7(Miles Bridges). They seriously lack height and need a strong contribution from their extremely talented freshman class. They have the Harris kid at guard and Ellis for the seniors(until Schilling comes back.) with Tum Tum Nairns at guard and Goins as a forward as the juniors.. The rest of the team is sophomores and freshmen. Sometimes, you can get away with the lack of height with great desire and skill, so coaching becomes even more important.. I wish I could attend the practices to watch this team develop as Izzo is notorious for being hard on his freshmen. He will need them to contribute in a huge way to make the tournament. Izzo can play the "underdog card" with his young team and keep the team hungry with the practice tempo high, which can work to his advantage. They will be an interesting team to watch this year, win or lose.

Reactions: dubwa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News