ADVERTISEMENT

Cell phone usage and the military

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
People now use some type of portable electronic device in their workplace, almost everywhere anymore.. We blame the millenials but it is older generations as well.. They are valuable for work but young people use them almost as an essential body part.. If they were removed, I believe some would go into full bore depression without them.

Now a military girl at West Point was caught on camera using a cell phone WHILE IN FORMATION.. That is horrible to me but I am willing to hear others opinions that may differ...Employers and other authority have their hands full if they make this an issue. It is not the EDUCATING of the employees as to what the rules are, though that is essential.. It is the ENFORCEMENT of the rules, once they have been put in place.. The authority risks unpopularity or strong resistance in a large group setting.. It is the same principle as parenting though in parenting, you have more control of what happens in the house... In the work force, the group dynamic thing can be overwhelming to a lot of managers, in regards to enforcement and consistency.

My concern is the trend as well as the military.. There will be a day, which I believe will be sooner than later, where you will hear a millenial that becomes a doctor say to a patient's family "Wait a second, I have to answer this call from my kid... Your dying relative will just have to wait"... Or maybe a cop saying "Yeh, so what that you are getting shot at, I am talking to a friend on-line"..... Those are ridiculous and extreme but I dont think they are out of the question in the near future. THE MILITARY should not tolerate that one bit.. What a disrespect to all those that have defended our country in the past and present!!!! Part of being ethical is doing the right thing, even when no one else is looking.. And to submit to authority even if you dont agree with the rules.. Compliance does not mean always agreeing but it is essential to a good society.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News