ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches on the road: 12/2 -- updated throughout the day

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
Here's my thread from yesterday about coaches on the road. Some updates and responses that are rolling in today about yesterday's visits:

Yesterday I said Brian Anderson was in the northern Atlanta area, but I wasn't sure who he was visiting. Turns out it was Indiana defensive end commit Allen Cater. He's been on my radar since June, but didn't report much interest back then. Interest in him recently resurfaced, and here's what he had to say about Minnesota: "Stopped by yesterday and told me that the offer is on the table. It's just my decision if I want to be recruited by Minnesota...I don't know much about Minnesota, but I definitely will talk about it with my parents and see what they think about it, then I will go from there."

Here are quotes from Trayvone Blake and Elijah Battle about their visits with Sawvel.
  • Trayvone: "Sawvel said he will contact me next week and let me know what's going to happen, if they're going to offer or not. We talked about academics and recruiting, and he said he will stay in touch with me."
  • Elijah: "We talked about playing time, the program, how I could fit in, and about taking a visit."

---

Tyler Johnson tells me he's receiving a visit from a Gopher coach, but can't remember which one. I'm guessing it's Dan O'Brien.

Jay Sawvel will be in Mississippi to see Keon Howard around 1:00 PM and will also visit Hinds CC safety and Troy commit Kris Weatherspoon. With no Gopher quarterback commit and no head coach at Memphis, this is definitely an interesting situation and one to monitor. Visiting Weatherspoon further indicates that the staff plans on bringing in a JUCO defensive back, probably a safety.

Here's what Howard told me about his visit from Sawvel: "The visit went well. We talked about an official visit, which is going to happen January 22-25. He also talked to my mama about the education part and stuff."

Phelps and Sherels will be in Florida to see the Daniels, Dredrick Snelson, and Terrell Lucas. Lucas told me that his visit from Duke yesterday went really well. Lucas' visit will be in his home tonight. It's an important visit as Lucas is a top target. The Gophers are very much still in it with Lucas, but they do trail a few programs. This would be a big opportunity to take a step forward with him.

Snelson told me: "The visit with Coach went great."

Elijah told me: "Everything went good, just had a great talk about everything. I'm excited about the future for Gopher nation! We were talking about our class basically and how good it is, and it can be the best class in Gopher history. And talking about our home visit, just touching bases. Our in-home visit won't be tonight, but maybe pretty soon."

Elisha: "It was pretty good. I love the relationship I have built with them, talking football and recruiting with them and explaining ways how to make Minnesota a top school in the country was most of the convo."

Just got off the phone with Lucas and will have a full story the later. The visit went extremely well. He cancelled his visit to Nebraska this weekend and is instead coming to Minnesota. He will visit Duke next weekend and then come to a decision. This is fantastic news.

Just learned that Phelps and Sherels also stopped by Coconut Creek (FL) today to visit recent offeree and top 100 prospect Trayvon Mullen, as well as Georgia cornerback commit Malek Young and Arkansas safety commit Alexy Jean-Baptistery. Mullen told me the visit went "great."

Brian Anderson stayed in the Atlanta area today, where he visited and offered Clarke Central (GA) running back JaQua Daniels. The visit must have been spur of the moment because when I reached out to Daniels yesterday, he said he wasn't expecting a visit from Minnesota coaches even though he had heard from the staff recently. Daniels is 6'1" and 219 pounds and holds offers from Georgia, Tennessee, and some smaller schools. He doesn't have any recent highlights, but you can watch his sophomore highlights here. JaQua said he'll call me in about an hour (9:00 PM).

Check back for updates throughout the day.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News