ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches on the road for this week - 1/18 evening update

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
Here's what I got for where coaches will be on the road. Just about all the Gophers' targets are on officials today, so (a) I can't get responses from them and (b) I don't think the coaches are scheduling in-home visits with them while they're on another visit. So this list will surely be added to. I know it's pretty slim right now. You can be sure that guys like Arkeem Byrd, Trystan Castillo, Lloyd Cushenberry, Amir Watts, etc. will all receive visits.

Tonight

• Conner Olson will receive a visit from Miller and O'Brien tonight around 7:00 PM.
Monday
  • Kiondre Thomas will receive a visit from Sawvel.
  • Kasl will receive an in-home visit from Miller.
Lee County (Ga.) defensive back and Arkansas State commit William Bryant IV told me this today: "Coach John [Schaekel, I think] contacted me about an official visit and said that a coach would plan to come to my school to visit me." This is probably the first time I posted about him, but Bryant isn't a new name and has been on the staff's radar for a while. So it's not as if the staff is just going through MAC and Sun Belt commits' Hudls.

1/18 EVENING UPDATE: Tracy Claeys joined Sawvel to visit Kiondre Thomas this afternoon, and here's what Kiondre told me about the visit. "It went really well. We just went over a lot of things we've already talked about, like how they want me to play right away and things like that... They're on the plane to see my mom now... Louisiana Tech is still planning to come on Thursday and I'm not sure if Oklahoma State will come anywhere. I'm definitely a Gopher."

If Claeys gets out of the visit with Thomas' mom on time, he'll join Anderson and I'm guessing Poore too on the Arkeem Byrd in-home visit.

Tuesday
  • Antoine Winfield Jr. will receive a visit from Sawvel.
  • Coney Durr and Lloyd Cushenberry will receive a visit from Sawvel.
  • Will Evans will receive a visit.
  • Arkeem Byrd will receive a visit, and I imagine it will be Poore and Anderson there.
TUESDAY NIGHT UPDATE:
Lloyd Cushenberry -- Had Mississippi State and South Carolina in yesterday. He's visiting Mississippi State this weekend and South Carolina next weekend. Miller visited him in school today, and Miller and Sawvel both saw him in his home. He said his parents got a lot of questions answered and were impressed by them. He liked Miller as a coach and was impressed with how many players he put in the NFL. Also said something to the effect of "I don't care if a school is in the SEC. I just want to go the place that's best for me."

Coney Durr -- Sawvel is on his way to the Durr household as we speak, and Coney said he'd call me afterwards.

Antoine Winfield, Jr. -- Claeys had an in-home tonight with the Winfields, and Antoine said they talked about housing and some logistics. His parents asked a lot of questions and got them answered. Claeys got to meet the entire family, and all was well. Winfield's not hearing from any other schools.

Here's what he told me about the visit: “I interacted with him when he came down on my official… He got to meet my family for the first time. They asked some questions that they wanted to know and stuff like that. It went very well… We talked about just where I’d stay, and the transition from high school to college. He answered questions about the team and coaching staff and stuff like that.” Minnesota's the only school recruiting him, and he's very solid.

Arkeem Byrd -- Byrd says he has a dilemma in that he wants to visit Georgia Tech, Louisville, and Missouri, but he only has two weekends to do so. Sounded like he'd give all three a shot and likes all three. His in-home visit with Minnesota went very well. Minnesota reiterated to him that he's been their top guy since day one and that he's wanted. They talked about the Georgia running backs and recent success of Gopher running backs.

Wednesday
  • DeMarcus Williams will receive a visit from Jay Johnson.
  • Tyrez Lindsey will receive a visit from Sawvel.
  • Amir Watts will receive a visit from Phelps.
Thursday
  • Dredrick Snelson will receive a visit from Anderson and Johnson.
  • Trystan Castillo will receive a visit from Miller.
On Friday, I'm not sure if there will be any official visitors because Tyrez Lindsey, Keon Howard, and Kobe McCrary are all visiting over the weekend.

Kobe McCrary said Poore said "he might come but if not, he's going to come after my visit." He visits next weekend.

PWO target Brady Wieland said he and Sawvel are meeting soon too, but that no date is set.

Carter Coughlin said a coach will come by, but a date's not set up yet.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News