ADVERTISEMENT

BBall Recruiting Drew Peterson commits to Minnesota (article)

David Sisk

Jun 10, 2015
It was a long and arduous weekend for Richard Pitino, but he rebounded nicely on Monday. Kerwin Walton and Justin Kier opted to go elsewhere, but Rice transfer, Drew Peterson, said yes on Monday evening.

The 6-foot-8 sophomore committed to the Gophers after spending two seasons with the Owls. He is coming off a season in which he averaged 11.1 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists per game. He shot 32.8% from deep and was an impressive 82.4% from the line. Peterson averaged 5.0 points and 3.4 rebounds as a freshman

Peterson had fifteen games this past season in which he scored in double-figures. His season high was 24 points in the season finale against Florida International. That capped off a strong finish to the season in which he finished in double figures in five of his last six games, and averaged 16.5 points per game. He scored 19 on another occasion and 18 in two other games. He had 16 points on four of five three-point shooting against a ranked Houston team.

Peterson will have to redshirt next season and then will have two more to play.

He had narrowed his list down to Minnesota and Creighton before making his final decision for the Gopher. The sophomore spoke to The Gopher Report Monday evening about his choice.

"Minnesota has been there since day one in the process. I really like the staff, and I really think we've got a good roster going for next year. It's a great academic place, so I thought it was the right fit for me."

He also shared how Gopher fans can expect him to contribute to the program,.

"I see myself as a do-it-all kind of guy. I'm a really versatile guy, and Coach Pitino kind of sees me playing a role like an Amir Coffey was for the team. I think I can do a lot. I'm a three-level scorer, and I can facilitate. So I think those are kind of the main things I bring to the table."

Jeff Borzello of ESPN ranks him No. 34 among this season's transfers who will have to sit out a season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News