ADVERTISEMENT

GI Practice Report 3/12

Ryan Burns

Aug 8, 2010
Oakdale, MN
Little bit shorter of a practice report today.

Burnsville QB Kamal Martin was attending practice today as was former Gopher RB David Cobb.

Notes:

Today was honestly probably the worst I've seen the quarterbacks look in awhile. Like since I started covering practices in the last couple years. Mitch Leidner's ball is confusing to me. When it's one on ones or other small drills, his ball is fine. Spiral and crisp. When he goes to team, it just falls apart right now and is wobbly and inaccurate. Is he putting too much pressure on himself? Maybe I don't know. It just wasn't very accurate and crisp today. So natural next question is well, will someone replace him? I just don't see it happening right now from what I've seen from the guys behind him like Streveler or Perra. None of the quarterbacks have been consistent throughout an entire practice, so we'll see how they look coming out of spring break.

The guy I was really impressed by AGAIN, was Rodney Smith. His running style is very conducive to the Gopher offense as his vision and lateral agility is stellar. Very Cobb like where he'd make the first man miss and get extra yards. Very good balance as well as I saw a few runs where he stayed on his feel long enough to get 5-10 extra yards. Rodrick Williams had the play of the day as he broke off a 65 yards touchdown run. Yes you read that right. No it wasn't against the third string team either. Williams has a little pep in his step, so we'll see it any of that translates this fall. Jeff Jones is still learning and getting better with each rep. You'll see him juke some guys out of their shoes, but still getting used to the B1G speed.

Caught myself again watching transfer tight end Noah Scarver and I really think he can contribute this fall. He's a big kid around 6'5" 270 lbs and he moves well with that weight. Very good hands as well. I think he'll be in the running along with Plsek, Lingen and Anyanwu.

It was a tough day between the center and Leidner as I believe I counted 3-4 fumbles at the snap. Connor Mayes was getting work as the 1st team center today for the first time with Leidner and things just weren't crisp.

The defensive line did well again today and guys who were making players were Steven Richardson, Gary Moore, Alex Keith and Andrew Stelter. Steve is constantly giving the interior offensive linemen fits and I can't wait to see that translate this fall. Stelter has been the main guy working with Steve on the ones at DT with Ekpe out and he's more than held his own. Looks like he's put on some good weight, while keeping up his motor. Gary just needs to be consistent as he absolutely tossed a guard today to hit Jeff Jones in the backfield.

I'm a broken record, but no way Sherels is going to be able to keep Jonathan Celestin off the field. "Thumper" (Celestin) makes at least one big hit every practice and he absolutely leveled Rodrick Williams today. Not many guys can do that. He's put on 10 pounds or so and just has very good instincts along with a head hunter mentality.

Briean Boddy-Calhoun had the defensive play of the day as he made a great acrobatic catch on the sidelines on an overthrow for what would have been a pick six. Boddy's instincts are what Gopher fans love about him so much and it was on display today. I feel very comfortable with secondary depth this fall.

Any questions or comments or if you attended practice and would like to leave your thoughts, please leave them below!

Reminder that the Gophers now have off until the 24th as Spring Break is next week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News