ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Pitino Blog after Loss to FSU

chap99

Gold Member
Jan 18, 2007
Charleston, SC
I really enjoy these reads, its nice to get perspective from a coach's viewpoint as to what went wrong and what the strategy was going into the game. I know a lot of folks on here think Pitino is hot air, but I enjoy getting this type of insight from the HC. Would be cool to get something like this from football as well.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/112916aaa.html

Good afternoon Gopher Fans,

After watching the Florida State game a few times and reflecting on the first seven games I thought this would be a good time to give a state of the union of where I think we are at as a basketball team right now.

Record (6-1) - Certainly happy with where we stand at this juncture. Obviously we dropped a tough road test versus a very talented Florida State team. We were physically manhandled by their bigs. Our front court needed to do a better job of matching their size and toughness. Our guards needed to get multiple paint touches but abandoned the game plan. That game was good for us because it had the feel of a Big Ten opponent. Our resume thus far is solid. Wins over Texas Arlington, St. John's and Arkansas will most likely be considered top 100 wins when the year ends. Saturday is extremely important. Vanderbilt is a talented, well-coached team that will only get better. They battled a very good Butler team recently. They play Tennessee State tonight at home. It will be another terrific test for our young basketball team. I thoroughly enjoy playing at the Pentagon in South Dakota. It is an amazing venue and a lot of fun to be a part of. Hopefully our fans outstate can make it!

Offense (Kenpom ranking of 85 in offensive efficiency) - This needs to improve! The better defense we play will allow us to get out on the break where I feel we can be productive. We have to improve our screening and cut down on live ball turnovers. Shot selection was a problem last game. I showed our guys our game vs. Florida State a few years ago in the NIT. They were blown away by their ball movement and spacing. We have to learn from that. We will get there in time.

Defense (Kenpom ranking of 39 in defensive efficiency) - This number has improved over the course of the season. The problem last game was live ball turnovers and fouls. Three point field good defense has gotten better as well. We have to finish a defensive possession with a rebound. We have to be more disruptive on this end. Foul trouble was a major issue for us last game at Florida State.

Overall (Kenpom ranking of 60 nationally) - We have a very good collection of guys. They are connected and truly want to win. With five new faces and a lot of youth we have to use the next month to drastically improve. Kenpom has us ranked 318 out of 351 in experience. Guys will have to grow up fast! They have taken pride in restoring the image of our basketball program on and off the court. By no means have we arrived but I like the direction we are headed. It's fun to see the seats in Williams Arena fill each game more and more. I am truly grateful for our loyal fans. Williams Arena is just as important as any player or coach in our program. We always have a chance when that building is alive. Our players feed off that energy.

Last Opponent - First and foremost give credit to Florida State. They played hard, physical and took us out of a lot of what we wanted to do. Jonathan Isaac has a chance to be a lottery pick. Special talent. Bacon also hit some very challenging shots. We weathered very tough foul trouble in the first half to take the lead at halftime. We showed great heart at the end to come back but it was too little, too late. [URL='http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/amir_coffey_1017598.html']Amir Coffey
getting in foul trouble really hurt us. We needed his playmaking ability on the court. We simply weren't tough enough at every phase. The spacing and execution of the offensive game plan was poor. When we got multiple paint touches we got open looks. The guards needed to be tougher around the basket to finish. The bigs need to improve their screening and effort as it pertains to offensive rebounding. We collectively have to get tougher as a group if we want to compete with our schedule. This was a great eye-opener for everyone.

Next Opponent - Vanderbilt, Saturday in Sioux Falls at 7:00 PM. Talented and well coached. We have to do our best to improve this week as well as lock in on the details on the scouting report. I know our guys will be excited for this tremendous challenge.

Go Gophers![/URL]

Reactions: dubwa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News