ADVERTISEMENT

Live: Claeys Signing Day Presser

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
  • We're excited with our Signing Class like everybody. There's 20 kids there.
  • The goal is to have kids that will be better than our program previously. I feel like we've done that.
  • We're getting to where our class is pretty balanced. Don't think there are many challenges [asked where they missed on].
  • Signing Day wasn't necessarily any more eventful than other classes.
  • Thinks the offensive line could look significantly different. Nick Connelly and Bronson Dovich could help. That's the one spot we need to be a lot more physical at. Glad we brought in JUCOs.
  • Martin was just 208 pounds when he first came to camp (Martin told me today he now weighs 234). Our intentions are still to have him play linebacker. Maybe he could outgrow the position and be a really good defensive end.
  • Feel really comfortable about the in-state kids.
  • Hopes Merrick Jackson continues to stay around 305. Had a few weeks off since playing at JUCOs.
  • Seniors had 28 wins and that's the most in ten years.
  • To stay home, it's got to be worth staying home for. Kids in the state are bigger fans of the Gopher football program. High school coaches are very supportive.
  • Our facilities will be as good as anywhere else. Once they see the structure, I think that will help even more. I don't think it's an arm's race; I think it's an investment in the past.
  • I'll never make a kid play where he doesn't want to. You don't want to make a kid unhappy with his position because then he'll be unproductive. Tyler Johnson will be a receiver.
  • I'm happy for Lloyd Cushenberry. Daniel Thomas was very honest about going to Auburn. We have to win a few of those too.
  • With the season we had and adversity of changing coaches, we did well. Carter and a lot of the Minnesota kids have done a great job of holding the class together.
  • Winfield has a leadership type of personality. He's been raised right. Football's important to that family. At the same time, I don't think it's one of those things where his dad was pressuring him.
  • I told him Seth Green that he and Demry will get the reps in the spring with Mitch out, and he'll get a chance to compete again in the fall. I think Seth is a special player. I think he can be an All-Big Ten player type of kid. He could also help us out at another position.
  • (On recruiting without an OL coach): You know I'm a big guy. I keep guys informed. We were able to hang in there, and I'm very pleased with the offensive lineman. It was done quick enough, so I don't think there was any damage there.
  • We continue to get better because we have kids that want to be here. I don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here. Still and Register should both be good next year.
  • The position we know we needed to really get this year was offensive line, and I think we did that. I think in the past couple classes, we've paid more attention to road graders rather than pass protection. We want to knock people on the ground and then we'll worry about pass blocking.
  • I don't want kids who want to redshirt. Those kids don't have the right mindset and don't necessarily as much.
  • When you look at this class and their numbers, they run better than any of our other classes. That's backed up but our research and the numbers we have.
  • I love baseball. If Hmielewski is in a position to play baseball and help them win games, then I want him to be able to do that. I've talked with John Anderson, and they like him as a outfielder. Hmielewski is kind of like a waterbug. He's a little bit bigger KJ with not quite as good of straight line speed.
  • It was scary only going through a season with three quarterbacks. It's possible Seth doesn't redshirt. Those decisions won't be made until fall camp.
  • Got Kobe McCrary because of his size. We lost Rodrick Williams so we really don't have a big back, and you need that in the Big Ten. Kobe is a great addition. That was probably the second biggest need because I knew we'd have trouble recruiting a back with Brooks and Smith.
  • The Winfields made great sloppy joes. I also had a good time at Conner Olson's house. He has a great family. I had a great time on the road trying to get to know those families.
  • We've done a good job academically at this school and have numbers to back that up. Easier to tell parents that priorities are the same (as Kill).
  • I have two things when it comes to uniforms: I am a traditionalist. You should have at least have an idea of who's playing the game. We're going to be maroon and gold and that's important. Helmet stickers are a possibility. We want a way to reward guys for being good teammates and playing well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News