ADVERTISEMENT

BBall Recruiting Muscadin "blown away" by the Minnesota visit (article)

David Sisk

Jun 10, 2015
September has been a busy month for Gethro Muscadin. In between official visits to Kansas State, Kansas, and Texas Tech, the four-star center from Haiti took in the University of Minnesota campuslast weekend.

The No. 130 ranked player in the 2020 Class according to Rivals is originally from Haiti. He was at Sunrise Christian in Kansas last year and now will finish his college career at Aspire Academy in Louisville, Kentucky.

Corey Evans recently wrote that nobody has improved the last few months at the rate of Muscadin. That has led to serious recruitments by the Gophers, Wildcats, Jayhawks, and Red Raiders, and now Louisville has joined the party. He will attend Louisville Live next Thursday night.

The Gopher Report spoke with the Head Coach at Aspire Academy on Saturday afternoon. Jeremy Kipness got us up to date with a scouting report on his player, a narrative of his recruitment, as well as a summary of his trip to the Twin Cities.

Q: You've been around Gethro for a few months now. What do you see from him from a coach's standpoint?

Kipness: "He's a coach's dream. He really is. He's such a special kid. That's the most important thing that catches my eye. He's a leader. He leads by example. He does things the right way.

From a basketball perspective, it blew my mind that he wasn't playing more than he was. N'Faly Dante is a very good basketball player, don't get me wrong. The fact that he just played six to minutes a game last year is mind boggling. He came in and has things you can't teach. He's long and he's athletic. He's got a great motor. He runs the floor and shoots it from the perimeter. For his size, I have not coached a player who shoots it as well as him. He's got to get stronger. He's got to gt defensively where he stays in a stance, but he's so versatile and his game translates to the next level. I think he's a four or he's a five in the prototypical modern day NBA. He just brings a vast versatility and he has an ever improving skill-set."

Q: You answered my next question. Is he an old-school big man or a new age one?

Kipness: "New age completely. He's what the NBA is looking for. At the college level he's a pick your poison type of guy. He can beat you in different ways. He can catch it out on the perimeter. He can also play down with his back to the basket. He can play the pick-and-pop at the four or five. He does a lot of different things, and that's also the special thing about him. Whatever the team needs him to do, he'll do whatever needs to be done."

Q: Exactly what is his height and weight?

Kipness: "6-10, 215. He has a 7-1 wingspan. He needs to be around 225 to 230 when he gets on campus. He doesn't need to get bulky. He just needs to be able to take contact, be able to post up without being pushed around. A stronger base will do him wonders."

Q: What about his recruitment? The rumors were a couple of weeks ago that Kansas State was in a really good spot with him. Then he had a great visit to Minnesota. Are there anything to the rumors or is he open?

Kipness: "He's wide open. He's been on two official visits. He's on his third right now. He's been to Kansas and Minnesota, and he's at Kansas now. He got a great relationship with Bruce Weber. He's gone out of his way to recruit Gethro hard and make it personal. That's really what drew him to Kansas State.

He was really impressed with Minnesota on his visit. The coaching staff, Coach Richard (Pitino), and the new facilities, and he has a great relationship with the players too which was big. Now he's at Kansas. You have a lot of mystique. You've got that tradition. But he's got to find the right school that fits. Right now he's just examining every option. After the four visits he'll go back to the drawing board and see if there is a school that he visited that he really wants to go to, and he felt like he belonged. Or is there something where he'll open up that last visit?"

Q: We've heard that he had a great visit at Minnesota and you touched on that. Tell us a little more on how that went.

Kipness: "He was blown away by Minnesota. He liked the big city atmosphere of Minneapolis. I think the other thing was that he trusts the relationship with the players. It was almost like he's been with them before. They really clicked. He felt comfortable He's known Coach Kyle (Lindsted) for a while. Richard came and saw him on the first day of the evaluation period and really, really like him. He came away really impressed with it."

Q: What has been the recruiting pitch of the Minnesota staff to him?

Kipness: "Just the fact that he can come in and and have an impact especially with the way the Minnesota roster is. There is going to be a spot for him if he does what he needs to. There's no guarantee about spots but they can put him in a position to where he can play major minutes and impactful minutes and they're going to help him on his path to reach his dreams from a basketball perspective to get to the next level not matter how many years he stays. He just has it in his mind about the task at hand,.

The Minnesota coaches explained, look, you can come in right away and have an impact. We don't have a guy like you. You could be the guy and have that spot. Obviously it is intriguing for Gethro."

Q: What will be the big factors in his decision?

Kipness: "I think he's going to examine everything. I don't think it's necessarily a couple of things. I think its the feeling you get. Once your able to go on these visits, like when you go on your first visit it's almost like your first girlfriend. You think it's the one and you want to go and compare it to other programs so you can get a fit and see this is what this program does, this is what I can get at this school. But ultimately it's going to come down to a trust level. Academically he's very high and serious. He wants to make sure he's going to a business school. He wants to study business. He's going to take everything into account so I wouldn't say it's one or two things. It's really being able to sit back and analyze everything."

Q: Will be does this in the early Signing Period?

Kipness: "It's all up in the air. Nothing is set in stone."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News