ADVERTISEMENT

My evaluation of BRENNAN ARMSTRONG

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
I dont know how I felt about Brennan Armstrong starting the game but AFTER THE GAME, I know I felt he could be a pretty good QB at the next level.

Brennan was 11-13 for 178 yards and 2 TDs passing... He had 16 carries for 117 yards and 4 TD runs in a 46-0 drubbing of Bellevue... Bellevue fans were shocked as this doesnt happen to their HS football team often....

Checking Armstrong's size, the listing is pretty accurate.. May be a tick below 6-2 as I am about the same height as him so I know its right there.. He is built strong at 190-200 lbs. A lefthander and a red head. Has a strong and accurate arm when he sets his feet. Runs out of the shotgun on every play and they do not huddle... Get signals from the bench then runs the play....Almost always in the spread offense.

Armstrong is Ohio HS' version of Tim Tebow...He is an absolute beast to try to tackle as one guy cant bring him down on the runs.. He is a very calm person in execution of plays but he has an edge to him(will give the defender who tackles him or runs him out of bounds a little shove after the play, over half the time).. Attitude is definitely D1 as he is confident that is borderline arrogance.. A tough guy. Initiates hits as a free safety....Very good at seeing the field on his runs.

Armstrong only threw a couple passes when he set his feet. When he did, he threw with a strong and accurate arm. He set his feet and transfers the weight from back to front very well. On those couple of throws where he set his feet, he opened up those hips quickly and had those shoulders squared to the target with good form.. He throws quite a bit on the roll out to his left or on the run. One of his incompletions should have been an interception as he got lazy a play before he ran it in for a TD. Nice release on the ball and a tight spiral when his feet are set. ALWAYS has his eyes looking downfield, even when chased.. Does not panic but he has quick swift feet and good moves to elude potential tacklers... He is sneaky fast. Supremely confident in his feet and in his arm.

They were up 40 to 0 at half and this was supposed to be one of their tougher games. At 2:22 in the 3rd quarter, Armstrong was down on the field but got back up and jogged to the sideline.. Just think he got his "bell rung" when playing defense. He is an aggressive player for sure. The 2 TD passes weren't far distances for throws and he didn't attempt anything longer than 10 yards.. I hear his arm strength is absolutely D1 and I believe it... Very strong day in Armstrong's return but I will also say that he has some of the BEST COLLECTIVE GROUP of skill players around him that I have seen for a few years, at the high school level.. He has 7 skill guys that rotate in the game that are all contributors and I think they would all be stars if they went to separate schools... Shorty Brooks, their 1st team all state RB, did not play in this game so that would give them 8 'star-level' players at skill positions... Shelby is very good and Armstrong is a good prospect.

The back up QB, who I mistakenly said had 15 TD passes when it was actually 14 TD passes, just came in to hand the ball off a few times....3 fans had Gopher Uniforms with #5 being Armstrong(his HS number), #7 with Decker on the back(Eric Decker); and #8 with Abdul Khaliq on the back(Asad Abdul Khaliq).. Dont see that at Ohio HS football games much.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.