ADVERTISEMENT

Philando Castile

AhliBobwa

Jan 27, 2010
http://www.startribune.com/aftermat...shooting-captured-on-phone-video/385789251/#1

This makes me so sad. Philando Castile was a longtime public servant, a beloved guy whom kids and adults referred to as 'Mr. Rogers with dreadlocks'.

Philando got pulled over, calmly told the police officer that he had a permit for his gun, and then told him he was reaching for his ID as directed. Yet, the officer shot him anyway. My sister has a good friend on the force. She said that after it happened, the officer was sobbing and just kept saying, 'what did I do? How did this happen?' etc.

This is a tragedy for everyone involved. Police Officers need to focus more efforts on de-escalation rather than 'shoot first ask questions later'.

This year alone, police officers have killed nearly 600 Americans. I'm not here to blame anybody, but the system needs to be reformed. This won't make any sense to some of the more rigid members of this board, but perhaps it's time for fewer police officers to carry guns? In Britain, very few police officers carry guns, and they seem to do just fine.

Of course, that move would need to come in conjunction with real gun control---the kind that has been so effective in other western democracies like Australia, Great Britain, most of Europe, etc.

#PhilandoCastile
#Nomoreviolence

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News