ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 10/7

Alex Carlson

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2016
Minneapolis, MN
After the game in the postgame press conference, PJ compared his team to growing a crop. There are a few guys that are already at the point where they have played a lot of football. The team also has a lot of young players. Iowa is playing mostly seniors and juniors, while the Gophers only have seven scholarship seniors.

Fleck did reiterate that he was proud of his team for going down early in the game and having the fight to stay with it and continue to persevere. “We are making young mistakes right now. We have to make these mistakes now so that we don’t make them going forward. I’m choosing to fill these voids with high school seniors who are very young since that is the way I believe to turn this around.”

Coach called out Royal Silver, OJ Smith, and Gary Moore for anchoring the middle. He also really like the execution on the offensive side especially in the second half where they started to get the running game going which then opened up play action.

“We couldn’t get off the field on 3rd down on defense and we couldn’t convert 3rd downs on offense. That was the story of the game.”

Dave questioned Daniel Fa’alele and if the coaches have decided what to do with his redshirt since the team did better once he was in the game. “Daniel is physically ready to play in the Big Ten. Emotionally and mentally, we have to decide if he’s ready. I wasn’t sure he was ready at first, he might be ready now.”

Zack Annexstad stays on the field once Seth Green goes into the wildcat because it forces the defense to have to check into a call rather than being able to roll out a specific package for him at QB.

PJ was rather non-committal when asked about the redshirt rule as far as which players in specific they would be evaluating. He just said that they will be evaluating everybody going forward.

Reactions: Littlefinger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News