ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Potential Coach Profile: Niko Medved

Connor Stevens

Jun 1, 2015
Potential Coach Profile: Niko Medved

Coach profile number three....

What do you guys think of Niko Medved as the next Gopher head coach? He built outstanding foundations at Furman and Drake, two schools that were in the midst of some dark days before he took over. Now at Colorado State it looks like he's doing the same thing.

Not to mention he's a University of Minnesota grad, Roseville native, and has taken legendary De La Salle head coach Dave Thorson with him his last two spots as an assistant.

Assistant Coach Speculation

First person I'm going to mention is obviously Dave Thorson. He's been with Thorson at Drake, and now the past three years at Colorado State and they've been a successful duo. Would Thorson follow back home to Minnesota where he's built an amazing reputation and legacy? I would think yes.

I'm going to mention this name again. I did so in my Dennis Gates speculation as well. Let's get D1 Minnesota's Al Harris on the Gopher staff. I know it's not a move that is on brand for Minnesota to bring a AAU affiliated coach on staff, but it's worked other places and I think it would work wonders here as well. Imagine a staff of Medved, Thorson, and Harris recruiting Minnesota? I'm not sure the Gophers will ever "lockdown the borders" but this would definitely put them in the right direction to do so.

I'm going to mention Kyle Lindsted now to remain on staff. I know I said Conroy before, and I think that could be a name as well. This time I want to focus on Lindsted because of his connection with Sunrise Christian. While keeping Pohto locked into the 2021 class isn't a necessity, it wouldn't be a bad thing especially when Robbins status is uncertain for next year as well. Minnesota's success has stopped Lindsted's Sunrise Christian connection from really working wonders. If the Gophers become a more consistent team torwards the top of the Big Ten one day, then Lindsted's connections with SCA could really start to pay off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News