ADVERTISEMENT

Reactions to Junior Day

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
Already recapped with Andries and Abojei. Here are some more reactions:
  • Park QB Brandon Alt: "Junior day went great!! They took us all around the stadium and showed really cool features it has! It was truly mind blowing. The locker room was amazing! I've never seen anything that cool! Absolutely amazing."
  • Woodbury OLB/DE Kolade Amusan: "It went great Coach Claeys started it out and he just talked what Minnesota football is all about and what not. Then we went to position meetings, then the rest was tours of the hall of fame, locker room, training room and stadium. Favorite part was definitely when Coach Claeys and the other coaches were explaining what the program is all about. It opened my eyes."
  • IMG Academy WR Brock Annexstad: "Junior day went great! They talked about their recruiting process, and a few coaches spoke about their philosophy for finding and developing athletes. Then they showed us around the facilities! It was a good experience."
  • Totino-Grace ATH Brady Bertram: "It was awesome! We got there and filled out a questionnaire for them and then they just showed us a highlight tape and talked about their program. After that we broke up into position groups but all the skill positions stayed together because the running back coach and receiver coach were at a funeral. We got a tour of the stadium which was cool!"
  • Centennial DT Sam Byrd: "It went really good! We started out with the opening presentation and introductions. Then we went to position meeting with Coach Phelps, which was really cool. Then we had the tour of the facility and we took pictures and went on the field to close it out."
  • Mound Westonka ATH Isaiah Cherrier: "It went really well! We had an introductory period, then we split off and had position meetings. We also took a tour of the stadium and locker room. It was really cool to meet all of the coaches. Favorite part was definitely seeing the locker room."
  • Eastview LB Mike Delich: "It went well! We got there and they did a regular introduction of the gopher football program. Then we went split up into position groups and heard our position coach talk. Next they gave us a tour of the stadium, and then we ended in the game day locker room! It was pretty cool. Favorite part I would have to say meeting with Coach Sherels, the linebacker coach."
  • Mahtomedi DL Graham Devore: "It was great! The locker room is amazing! We met with all the coaches and toured the locker room, the field, and other sport specific rooms."
  • Rochester Century DB Luke Fisher: "Junior day went well. I met the safeties coach and DB coaches. We toured some of the facilities and TCF bank, and they really just showed us how they go through the recruiting process! Favorite part was talking to Coach O'Brien and trying on the jerseys was pretty cool! They gave us really great information about their university!"
  • Totino-Grace RB Gayflor Flomo: "Junior Day went well. My position coach wasn't there, but I learned a lot about the program and about what they have. We basically toured their facility and put on their jerseys."
  • Lewiston-Altura MLB Thomas Hennessy: "Junior Day was great! There was a pretty big group of guys and their parents…about 100 junior prospects from Minnesota and around the country. Coach Claeys gave a great talk about the program and shared program goals with us. We were introduced to the entire staff and then we broke out into position groups. I was with the linebackers so we got to know Coach Sherels better and learned exactly what they’re looking for as far as being a Golden Gopher linebacker. We learned the expectations and the level of commitment it is going to require. After the position talks, we toured the TCF Stadium facilities and then got to experience the locker room and try on a jersey and take it all in. We also got to go out on the field for photos, etc. It ended with a social in the locker room where we had the opportunity to talk with coaches and staff. I appreciated the opportunity to receive specific direction on how to best prepare myself to achieve my goals at becoming a Golden Gopher. All in all, it was an inspiring and motivating day! The future of Minnesota football looks bright and I am praying for the opportunity to be part of it!"
  • Columbia Heights Bobby Hosch: "It was good.. Coach Claeys talked to us, then had a position meeting with linebacker coach, then toured the stadium then went into the locker rooms and game field. Favorite part was going to the locker rooms and seeing all the equipment and everything."
  • Wayzata WR Alex Jensen: "It was great! I was able to go with a teammate of mine, Justin Wolk, and we had an amazing time. It was neat to be able to tour through TCF Bank Stadium and go out on the field. I learned a lot from the coaches that spoke and saw a great facility!"
  • Osseo OL Nash Jensen: "It was very fun. We took a tour of the facility and had meeting with our position coaches and what they like to do at that position. And then at the end we got to put on a jersey. Favorite parts were talking to Coach Miller and getting to put on the jersey."
  • Orono LB Max Kahn: "It was great. I got to meet the coaches and tour TCF Bank Stadium."
  • Apple Valley ATH Mario Lewis: "It went great. I learned a lot about the program! Great to talk and see the coaches, but the running back coach was not there because he had to go to a funeral."
  • East Ridge RB Dominik London: "Just got a lot of information about recruiting and we split up by position and then we talked about Minnesota's program and their weight program and at the end they get us a tour of the stadium and everything."
  • Cretin-Derham Hall C Nick Neumann: "My junior day went great, I talked with Coach O'Brien, Coach Miller, and Coach Johnson. It was just a great atmosphere to be in. I really loved the whole thing as a whole, and trying on the jersey was a blast, kind of imagining you are getting ready for a game. My absolute favorite part was being in the locker room seeing all the greats that were once Gophers, also seeing my coach Ray Hitchcock on the wall, #55, and talking to coach Miller."
  • Spring Lake Park ATH Zach Ojile: "Junior Day was good. I thought it was a cool experience! First had a program overview and heard from Coach Claeys, their director of recruiting, and strength and conditioning coach and such. We then had a position meetings and finished with a tour of the stadium."
  • Chanhassen OL Sam Roble: "It was awesome! Started with an elevator ride with Coach Claeys (personal luxury) then went straight into some speeches by Billy, then Coach Claeys gave a speech, and finally the Strength and Conditioning coach and the nutritionist spoke. Then we broke into position meetings where I met both offensive line coaches and they spoke about traditions and their recruiting process. Finally, a tour through the HoF, training room, M Club room, and finally the game day locker room and field for pictures. They had all the jerseys hung up for us to try on and take pictures in. It's was one of the coolest things I've done."
  • Chaska ATH Alex Strazzanti: "It was an awesome experience. We got to listen to several coaches talk about being a gopher, we were able to meet our position coaches and we toured most of TCF Bank Stadium."
  • Lakeville North RB Wade Sullivan: "It was really good! We talked about the campus and the football program! Then took a tour around the stadium and the facilities they have!"
  • Centennial RB Riley Trettel: "It went great! We showed up and a few of the coaches spoke in front of the group including Coach Claeys. Then we took a tour of TCF Bank; we saw the locker room, the hall of fame room, and the field. I spoke with the offensive coordinator Coach Johnson briefly, and then I left. It was a pretty great experience."
  • Dawson-Boyd ATH Eli Weber: "It went well. We got to listen to what the program was all about and got a tour of TCF. We met with position coaches and they told us what they're all about and things that they look for in a recruit. We got a tour of the home locker room and got to step on the field for a bit. It was an overall good experience!"
  • Benilde-St. Margaret's OL Eric Wilson: "Went really well! Had some great conversations with Coach Miller, Sherels, and Glasscock. It was awesome to spend time with other recruits in the locker room at the end of the day, it was fun meeting the kids you always read about."

St. Mary's Orchard Lake (Mich.) 3-star CB Richard Bowens III - Hudl: "Minnesota's Junior Day was really great. Afterwards, I met with Claeys and Sawvel and talked about several things. They just told me that I still have an offer and how much they want me."

Lincoln Southeast (Nebr.) WR Sterling Smith - Hudl

Seaman (Kansas) QB Dalton Cowan - Hudl

Kearney (Nebr.) OLB Noah Urbanek - Hudl: "It went good. We toured the facilities, talked about academics, and then we talked to our position coaches. My favorite part was probably walking out on the field and seeing the locker room and everything. That was pretty cool."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News