ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan James, the 2018 recruiting class

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
It just dawned on me that if Bakary and Gaston stay the 4 years, along with Reggie Lynch coming aboard next season, that we will have 3 BIGS in the same class. Certainly, this is not Pitino's concern this year or next but that is a lot of bigs to bring in the same class when they all exhaust their eligibility.. I realize a lot can happen before that time comes, as in transfers out and/or in, but that is a daunting thought.. Having to bring in 3 productive bigs in a class is not an easy thing. Recruiting 3 wings in one class would be a lot easier.

That is going to be a big recruiting year anyways, for us. We will lose Nate, the Fitzgerald kid, and the 3 bigs if they all stay. Mason and Fitzgerald will probably be easier to replace than the bigs. Bigs take so much longer to develop and I dont see us having 2-3 other bigs on the roster by that time to "hold things down" while the younger guys learn. I see a MAJOR IMPORTANCE of getting a guy like Theo John or a comparable talent to have at least one returning big when we recruit the 2018 group.

This leads to my questions:

I would think that the huge hope for the Gophers is that Matthew Hurt would be one of the solutions as a big. Nothing is guaranteed in recruiting but I would think he would be the most likely, right?? My guess is they would hold off on a big just to keep at spot open for Matthew in the 2019 class.

Do you think Race Thompson outgrows a SF and becomes a stretch 4, at some point? He is pretty tall for being so young.

What do you think of the prospects of a Daniel Oturo(I think he is a big at Cretin Durham)???

I know Gaston is not real productive yet but again, we dont know what is going to happen the next few years before that time comes.. Just wondering if the Gophers have local options for those 3 spots in 2018, to fill those openings if Lynch, Diedhou, and Konate all stay through their senior seasons..

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News