ADVERTISEMENT

Some Ohio bball players I feel would fit the Gophers well

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
A couple of underclassmen that I dont believe have been mentioned on this board that I have seen. These are guys that I feel would fit a system like Minnesota very well but might be a bit under the radar.

Tervell Beck was a player that I didn't really pay much attention to when he was younger as he was pretty thin. The Cleveland Central Catholic player is a good athlete but I thought, "Nah, better to pay attention to others".. Well, what got my attention is their victory over the top rated Ohio D3 power Cleveland Villa Angela St Joseph(VASJ), who is led by Kansas recruit Carlton Bragg.. Beck outplayed Bragg in that game though VASJ held Beck in a game earlier in the year to only 4 points. Rivals has Beck as a 3 star but his size needs to be updated as I think he is at least 6-6 and probably 190-200 lbs now. Don't know anything about his academics or personality but I know he is a gym rat. They also beat the number 1 team in Division 2 in previously undefeated Akron St Vincent St Marys to make the state Final Four in Division 2. Cleveland area basketball has good years in talent with the 2015 and 2016 classes.. Beck is a 2016. It is impressive to beat 2 number one teams in the state of Ohio, in different divisions and Beck's team, Cleveland Central Catholic, has done that this year. They have another player, Antwon Lillard that is a good player as well but Beck is the one that has the athleticism and length to make an impression at the D1 level in college. He is an impressive dunker as shown in his highlight films but there is a lot more to his game than that. He has some 'street ball' tendencies that need fixing but he is a player to watch this summer. Right now, he can be someone that will "wow you" with his whole game one moment and then you wonder what anyone sees in him, the next. He has been much more consistent lately. Minnesota may have better options but this kid can be a big time player as a wing. Very long as well as athletic. Pitt, Xavier, and Kent State have offered and I think Ohio State and Michigan have shown at least some interest.

Another kid to watch is a freshman guard, Dwayne Cohill, a 6-2 guard from Cleveland suburb, Parma Heights.. He will be a good player to watch develop but he learned a valuable lesson in the regional finals as a NW Ohio team, Defiance, played slowdown ball, which frustrated him.. He led that team this year and will be a D1 prospect. Like all freshmen, he needs a lot of development but he has the build and athleticism, and I understand the ability to be guided, which are good traits. He needs to play with and against better ballplayers to get a handle on how he will rate but he has big time potential.

This post was edited on 3/24 4:30 PM by Vifan

This post was edited on 3/24 5:20 PM by Vifan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.