ADVERTISEMENT

Was Claey's firing just?

Calminnfan

Jan 2, 2007
Porterville, CA
To me this is the primary issue with Claey's firing and the other events that have transpired as well. Was it just?

Coyle's statement about this being the just thing to do made me ask just that. I write this not knowing everything about the events and all that has transpired or what has gone on behind closed doors, but recent events have been pretty overwhelming. As someone that has expressed my opinion (maybe a little extreme, but....)

Anyways, to me the issues break down like this

1. Title IX - The biggest problem...A Group of NCAA Lawyers are going to have to camp outside Pres. Elect Trumps office on this one...and quickly...Even Lawyers have a lot of problems with this one.

On a side note, I can appreciate one aspect of the issue. Increased physical violence on campuses and the need to protect students places a lot more pressure on Universities to protect students and deal with perpetrators.

2. U's bungling of this.
a. About everyone this side of China realizes the U has bungled this big time. The initial suspensions and hiding behind the laws. The timing and how the in general went about it. As one person stated "This is a textbook example how not to handle it". It smacks of Liberal Elite arrogance and the basic belief I have that Liberal elites are great at messing things up for the average man and then placing the blame on others.
b. The long (50 years) history of degrading football and to a lessor extent BB programs in favor of pleasing the liberal elitist.
c. The suspension of 10 players without due process right before the bowl game.
d. The double standard of protecting a girl who may well not be innocent yet publicly damaging 10 players probably for the rest of their lives. (not against protecting victims, especially to public exposure...that is necessary, but what about innocent until proven guilty)
e. Kaler's and Coyle's handling of this.
f. Coyle's firing of Claeys
i. was it just that "Just"
ii. Ulterior motive - Was this more about replacing Claeys with his own guy and this gave him the opportunity...Let me just say if this is the case, that wipes the "justness" of his decision right out the window IMO. Either this firing is about how Claeys handled himself and his position as HC or it is not! Don't use one to cover up the other.
iii. Coyle came across very strongly in his statement with the benefit of the players gone on winter break...I wonder if he would have had the same composure if they were in school at the time and he faced them.
iv. It is almost as if Coyle is telling the students "If you don't like it, feel free to leave!"

3. Claeys firing
This is where it gets even murkier, especially since I have wanted to see Claeys and staff retained.
i. The problem is if he did know about the suspensions, he should have been with his team and discouraged the protest. Claeys makes it appear he knew nothing about the suspensions and than left for San Diego. Although I truly believe the U bungled this by being so quick with the hatchet, I gotta side with Mason on This. Claeys should have stayed home and been there.

If Claeys knew and signed off (I can believe he knew since I seriously doubt Coyle's would have not told him first) yet left for SD without being sensitive to how the players would react, then endorsing their behavior rather than taking charge of the situation, I am afraid I have to agree that he should be fired.

Not only that, the players themselves should rethink how far they take their support of Coach Claeys on this.

Even though he is still young as a HC, and I have no problem believing he was not experienced enough to handle this and it was something not necessarily covered in the rules to coach by textbook, it showed some pretty pour judgment.

I do think the expressed concern of the players willing to boycott the game for the just treatment of their teammates was admirable, yet they should have made the decision after seeing the report not before.

Along with this, I wonder if the U simply did not have confidence in his judgment as a HC and his ability to keeping the players in check. Given the history of the U in regards to student behavior, this is at least understandable.

If the firing was am excuse to bring in someone else, this was a horrid mistake and will unnecessarily damage the U.

The players. Great they are standing for their teammates, but what is just in this situation. Being a long time fan (and conservative btw.) I can fully appreciate the frustration dealing with the U, the BOR, Kaler and Coyle who seemed to have no problem smearing 10 players, behave as if they are simply rightly dutifully doing their jobs and treating everyone as if they are not as enlightened.

Along with this the Title IX injustices to go along with the police and DA not wanting to press charges, but the U seems "out to get the players anyway" without considering the perceived attack on the entire football program.,

That said, they really should have at least read the report before protesting. Players that want to leave should step back at and breath first and really look at what is right. At this time, it is all about the brotherhood of the team and the damage the school has done. It really needs to be about what is truly just and right. If what is just and right dictates, that is one thing, but if it is about protecting players whose behavior is wrong and needs to be held accountable, that is another thing!

I know other issues have floated through my mind since yesterday, but just wanted to try to figure out what is a right and truly just position. As far as I am concerned, what is truly just needs to be first.

A little feedback is appreciated.

Reactions: Vifan and SMiDT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News