ADVERTISEMENT

Where Are They Now? Gopher Kim Royston, DB (2008-2011)

timothynelson53

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2008
Broomfield CO
(18th in a Series)

Where Are They Now? Gopher Kim Royston, DB (2008-2011)

Kim Royston played defensive back and running back at Cretin Derham Hall H.S. in St. Paul, and was a first-team all-state selection as a senior in 2005. In his senior season he had 71 tackles and 4 interceptions on defense, and caught 41 passes with 15 touchdowns on offense. He was tabbed the No. 1 skill player and No. 5 overall player in the state of Minnesota in the 2006 recruiting class and committed to Wisconsin.

After two seasons with the Badgers, playing in 12 of 13 games in 2007, on special teams and as a backup DB, Royston transferred to Minnesota. After sitting out his transfer year in 2008, he started every game at DB for the Gophers in 2009, contributing 86 tackles, with four double-digit tackle games, and 15 stops in the Insight Bowl (breaking the Insight Bowl record).

Kim missed the entire 2010 season after breaking his leg in spring practice. He received a medical hardship waiver, adding a final year of eligibility at Minnesota. In 2011, he started all 12 games at safety and earned Honorable Mention All-B1G honors (media and coaches). He led the Gophers with 123 tackles (71 solo, 52 assisted) - 1st in B1G solo tackles, 2nd in B1G total tackles, and 16th in the nation. For his career, he totaled 199 tackles (118/81) with 5 TFL, 3 INTs and 2 sacks. He was also named the Gophers defensive player of the year, a Distinguished Scholar under the Big Ten designation, and was a two-time Minnesota captain.

Interview Questions:

1.How is your physical health, 7 years removed from your Gopher football career? Do you have lingering effects from concussions or any other football injuries?

Excluding the occasional aches and pains, my physical health is good. Also, I am unaware of any lingering effects of concussions.

2. You transferred from Wisconsin to Minnesota in 2008. What can you tell us about your transfer decision?

I would make the decision a hundred times over again. It was an opportunity to help support my family during a difficult time and play for my home state team. Yes, I would have liked to win more games and not sustained my injury, but that is life, and those obstacles helped developed me into the person I am now.

3. What are some of your favorite memories of your time at Minnesota (on and/or off the field)?

My best memory of my time at Minnesota was how the community, players, and coaches embraced me when I transferred from Minnesota. I had reservations about being the hometown kid who played for the rival team to return home and play for the Gophers, but I was immediately welcomed with open arms.

4. What is your favorite Coach Kill story? Coach Claeys? Coach Sawvel?

“I hear what you say, I trust what you do.” – Coach Kill

5. What Gopher loss from your playing days stung/stings the worst?

The one loss that hurt the most was losing to Wisconsin my senior year and not being able to play because of a broken leg. When I decided to transfer back home, playing Wisconsin my senior year at Camp Randall was always in the back of my head. Not having the opportunity to fight with my team against Wisconsin stung the most.

6. What was the most satisfying Gopher win of your career?

My most personally satisfying win was my last game of my career against Illinois. I earned big ten player of the week and the last play of my last game I had a sack. This game was meaningful because it was an ending that reflected my career and attributes as a person. Prior to the season I limped for a year recovering from multiple surgery complications, sustained a sports hernia and still was able to help will the team to victory.

7. What important life lessons did you learn from your football experiences?

Teamwork, Perseverance, Hard work

8. Did you get your degree from the U of M, or elsewhere? What was your field of study?

I received my bachelors and masters of education from the University of Minnesota and received my principal’s licensure from St. Cloud State University.

9. Were you a college football fan growing up? What team(s) did you follow/root for? Were you aware of the Minnesota Golden Gopher football tradition or teams growing up?

I was a general football fan but I made sure to watch Marion and Maroney when they played.

10. Your Linkedin page indicates you are the athletic director at Minneapolis Southwest High School. Tell us about that position, the career path that led you there, and your goals for the athletic program there.

Yes, I took over as the SW Athletic Director this summer. After I graduated, I worked as a football graduate assistant at Temple University under Matt Rhule. I realized, I wanted to stay in sports but on a smaller scale. K-12 education was the natural transition and for the last six years I have worked as coach, administrator, reading teacher, and athletic director.

My goal for Southwest High athletics is to create an attractive program that encourages All students to participate and develop their athletic, educational, emotional, and social skills through sport. My goal is to create a culture of collaboration and high expectations for students to achieve at high rates.

I believe collaboration with school stakeholders are essential to our student’s success. In my short time at Minneapolis Southwest HS, community stakeholders such as the Southwest Foundation, PTSO, Harvey Feldman and the Southwest Hall Fame embodies this collaborative culture and have been supportive in my transition.

11. Do you have any family/relationship news you want to share?

I am the new proud husband of Dr. Hilary Royston. We are coming up on our 1-year anniversary!

12. How actively do you follow Gopher football? Do you attend any games? Are you a member of the MN Rivals site? How do you receive most of your Gopher sports news and information? Do you keep in touch with any former GG teammates?

Yes, I watch as many Gopher games as possible and attend a few games a year. Actually, Johnny Johnson, Donnell Kirkwood, and Cedric Thompson are on Southwest’s football staff.

13. Has the current Gopher coaching staff made any contact with you?

Yes, alumni emails.

14. Do you have any Gopher tattoos? (Pics if possible)

No

15. Are you active on social media? Which platforms?

No

16. Aside from your job, are you involved in any sports/fitness/physical activities and/or coaching? Please describe.

I work out on a regular basis.

17. Concussions and CTE are on the minds of many sports fans and participants. If you have kids, do you think you'll encourage or allow them to play tackle football?

I think proper precautions and rule changes are making the game safer, I will let my child play if he/she wants to. I believe the lessons learned in football/sports are worth the some of the inherited risks.

18. Have you done anything exciting/unusual/inspiring since your Gopher days? (e.g.- travel, volunteering, community activities, stamp collecting, equine trekking, etc.)

No, not really.

19. What are you most passionate about?

Influencing young people to become the best version of themselves.

20. What might Gopher fans be surprised to learn about you?

Nothing.

21. Do you have any message for Gopher fans, Coach Fleck, or the current team? What is your prediction for the 2018 season record?

Play hard and represent the Gophers and state to the best of your ability. I predict a .500 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News