ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Football Recruiting Overview

Connor Stevens

Jun 1, 2015
The 2018 Class is almost full -- and it’s only August. This is definitely a different type of recruiting that Gopher fans are not used to. This class is filled with five from Minnesota, five from Georgia, four from Ohio, three from Florida, three from Illinois, one from Michigan, one from Texas, and one from Missouri. TGR is expecting just one or two more commitments in the class.

Assuming most of the current commits stay committed to Minnesota, this gives the staff time to prioritize the commits they already have, and possibly a few more. Also, it allows them to focus on the 2019 class, much earlier than they ever have before. With about a year and a half until signing day for the 2019s, this is a huge advantage to Fleck in recruiting.

Here’s a look at 2019 players the Gophers have offered (unless marked otherwise) so far (s/o to @Littlefinger ):

QUARTERBACKS

****Hank Bachmeier (Murrieta, CA); Videos, Twitter
Hank Bachmeir is a 5.9 rated four-star from Murrieta, California. He seems to be at the top of the list in priority when it comes to quarterbacks for 2019. He has a lot of mutual interest in Minnesota as well, as he has heavy family connections in the area. He holds offers from Boise State, Cal, Colorado, UCLA, Utah, and more. He has already come to Minnesota once this summer to visit family for over a week. He was planning on taking an unofficial, but unfortunately it was during a dead period so he was not allowed contact.

TGR Quote: “I talked to Coach Kirk (Ciarrocca) about three weeks ago, we have a pretty good relationship. My Grandfather is from the Twin Cities, and so is his family. I visit Lake Minnetonka every 4th, which, unfortunately was a dead period. As for the program, I have heard nothing but great things about Coach Fleck. Coach Kirk has great respect for him and I really admire Coach Kirk and how genuine a person he is.”

****Sam Howell (Monroe, NC); Videos; Twitter
Sam Howell is a 5.8 rated four-star from Monroe, NC. Howell holds offers from Duke, Maryland, Missouri, UNC, Pitt, and more. He also has interest from, and has visited, Clemson, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Tennessee. Howell has stated that he will probably make a decision after his junior season, and what he is looking for: “I’ll be looking at the education, a good relationship with the quarterbacks coach, a chance to compete for a national title and an offense that fits me to make a decision.” (via BlueAndGold.com)

***Taisun Phommachanh (Bridgeport, CT); Videos; Twitter
Taisun Phommachanh is a 5.5 rated three star from Bridgeport, Connecticut. He currently holds offers from Connecticut, and Maryland. He has very high reciprocating interest with Miami, however. He has gone as far as to call it his dream school. I wouldn’t say Minnesota out of it just yet, of course, but if Miami offers, he will most likely be a Hurricane on the spot.

TGR Quote: “I talked to Coach Ciarrocca a couple of weeks ago. Me and my parents were trying to set a visit with the staff. I know they are trying to build something special, and I wouldn’t mind being a part of it. We’ll have to schedule the visit with coach and how it would fit because their season is about to begin, as well as mine.”

***Max Duggan (Council Bluffs, IA); Videos; Twitter
Max Duggan is a 5.7 rated three-star from Council Bluffs, Iowa. He holds offers currently from Georgia, Iowa, Ole Miss, Nebraska, UNC, Penn State, and more. He worked out with Minnesota this fall when he came to visit, and they came away impressed. He has also visited Alabama, Georgia, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Penn State, and UNC. He is a big target for Iowa to try to keep home, along with Nebraska and UNC who have made him a priority early.

TGR Quote: “I talk with Coach Ciarrocca every once in awhile and I talked with Coach Fleck last week. It’s just changing a lot. The culture of the program is going to be different from what Coach Fleck is doing.”

More QB Names (No offer):

Graham Mertz (Overland Park ,KS)

Graham Mertz is an unranked quarterback from Overland Park, Kansas. He currently holds an offer from Kansas, with interest from Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, and Wisconsin. Mertz visited and camped at Minnesota. Minnesota has told him they want to see how he performs at the start of the high school season before offering. His recruitment is one to watch, because he has a BCS offer and interest before playing a game of varsity football. Also to note is that he is the son of former Gopher lineman Ron Mertz, who was on the team in the late 80’s. His mother also went to Minnesota, so there’s a chance they will always be in it, no matter who offers. He performed very well at the final Gopher camp this summer.

TGR Quote: “I’ve been up a couple times this summer and I’ve been getting to know all of the coaches pretty well. I went on July 29th for camp, and then the HYPRR Hangout after the camp. I also visited earlier in the summer for camp but I don’t remember the date. They were great! It was cool to learn about the new culture that Coach Fleck is bringing Minnesota. My dad played at Minnesota from 89-92. He came in as a linebacker and left as an offensive lineman.”

Cole Kramer (Eden Prairie, MN)
Cole Kramer is an unranked quarterback from Eden Prairie, Minnesota. He currently doesn’t hold any offers,. He camped at Minnesota, and the staff came away impressed with what they saw. If Minnesota decides to take two quarterbacks in this class, and Kramer has a great year, an offer could come his way.

TGR Quote: “My relationship with the Gophers and their staff is very strong. They want me to come to campus more so they can build a greater relationship wit me. All of the coaches there are very easy to connect and talk with.”

WIDE RECEIVERS

****David Bell (Indianapolis, IN); Videos; Twitter
David Bell is a 5.9 rated four-star from Indianapolis. He holds offers from Indiana, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Notre Dame, and more. He has also visited and camped at Ohio State, and visited Michigan and Iowa. Bell is also an excellent student

TGR Quote: “I haven’t heard from them since the offer, and I don’t really know too much about them.”

****Julian Barnett (Belleville, MI); Videos; Twitter
Julian Barnett is a 5.9 rated four-star from Belleville, Michigan. He holds offers from Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan State, Notre Dame, and more. He also camped at Ohio State as a cornerback, but they have yet to offer. The Alabama offer is also as a cornerback. He tells TGR that his position, wide receiver or cornerback, is not an issue for him. He also really likes Notre Dame, and if he wanted to stay home, he would “probably” go to Michigan State.

Quote: “When I go to college it’s wherever I can play first at, because I know I want to play as soon as I can.”

****Marcus Washington (St. Louis, MO); Videos; Twitter
Marcus Washington is a 5.9 rated four-star from St. Louis, Missouri. He holds offers from Auburn, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and more. Washington has visited Michigan, Iowa, Iowa State, Illinois, Notre Dame, and Nebraska. He is looking for early playing time and a good relationship with his position coach.

***Jameson Williams (St. Louis, MO); Videos; Twitter
Jameson Williams is a 5.5 three-star from St. Louis, Missouri. He holds offers from Illinois, Michigan State, Missouri, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin, and more. The only camp or visit that Williams has taken on record so far is Missouri. He tells TGR that he hasn’t heard from Minnesota much lately.

Genson Hooper-Price (Houston, TX); Videos; Twitter
Genson Hooper-Price is an unrated 2019 receiver from Houston, Texas. He holds offers from Baylor, Duke, and Iowa State.

*****Arjei Henderson (Richmond, TX); Videos; Twitter - Committed to Oregon
Arjei Henderson is a 6.1 rated five-star from Richmond, Texas. He committed to Oregon on July 29th following a visit. Henderson was previously committed to Oklahoma as well. Given that this is his second commitment and he has over a year left before signing, it may not be his last.

TIGHT ENDS

***Logan Lee (Orion, IL); Videos; Twitter - Committed to Iowa
Logan Lee is a 5.6 rated three-star from Orion, Illinois. Lee committed to Iowa June 24th, and has stated that he is done with the recruiting process.

***Hayden Rucci (Lititz, PA); Videos; Twitter
Hayden Rucci is a 5.7 rated three-star from Lititz, Pennsylvania. He holds offers from Michigan State, Northwestern, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and more. He also has interest from Penn State, where his father played. He has visited Minnesota and Northwestern. Quote from BadgerBlitz.com: "Both were also very impressive visits as well. I'm just grateful for all the amazing coaches I get to meet, with P.J. Fleck at Minnesota and Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern. Not just good coaches but very genuine people as well. I had a great time at those universities.”

TGR Quote: “I haven’t talked to any coaches as I’ve been on vacation and busy with preseason. I learned a bunch about Minnesota on my visit, and I had some great conversations with Coach Fleck while I was there. I was very grateful for the attentiveness they showed as well.”

Offensive Line:

****Keiondre Jones (Hogansville, GA); Videos; Twitter
Kiondre Jones is a 5.9 rated four-star from Hogansville, Georgia. He holds offers from Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, and many more. Jones seems to be headed to a helmet school, as he has always listed Alabama and Georgia, and has also listed Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Florida State, LSU, and Tennessee as schools he wants to visit. Bama, Georgia, Clemson, and Ohio State are on top.

****Trevor Keegan (Crystal Lake, IL); Videos; Twitter
Trevor Keegan is a 5.8 rated four-star from Crystal Lake, Illinois. He holds offers from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, and more. Keegan camped at Michigan, grew up a Michigan fan, and his high school coach said he would cry if he got a Michigan offer. He mentioned Michigan State, Iowa, and Northwestern, but said Michigan is definitely at the top.

****Devontae Dobbs (Belleville, MI); Videos; Twitter
Devontae Dobbs is a 6.0 rated four-star from Belleville, Michigan. He holds offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and more. Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame are big players in his recruitment, and he has visited several other schools including Iowa, and Clemson among others.

****Quinn Carroll (Edina, MN); Videos; Twitter
Quinn Carroll is a 5.9 rated four-star from Edina, Minnesota. He holds offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, Wisconsin, and more. Carroll is the top in-state target that Minnesota has had in awhile, and Fleck has been working hard on getting him to stay home. Carroll’s most recent visit was the last open practice the Gophers had (August 5th). Minnesota is definitely in heavy consideration, but he is keeping his options open. TGR believes that Ohio State, Alabama, and Notre Dame are the others in the best position at this time.

****John Olmstead (Metuchen, NJ); Videos; Twitter
John Olmstead is a 5.9 rated four-star from Metuchen, New Jersey. He holds offers from Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, UCLA, Wisconsin, and more. Notre Dame is a place that he has already visited and loved, but he’s said his recruitment is wide open.

TGR Quote: “I talk to Coach Rossi at Minnesota. He tells me a lot of things about Minnesota, and how great the future of the program is going to be.”

****Caedan Wallace (Princeton, NJ); Videos; Twitter
Caeden Wallace is a 5.9 rated four-star from Princeton, New Jersey. He holds offers from Maryland, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Penn State, Rutgers, and more. He has visited and enjoyed Penn State, and he also said he would like to visit Temple and Rutgers again for gameday visits, and possibly Florida State who is yet to offer. He tells TGR that he hasn’t heard from Minnesota in a month.

****Zeke Correll (Cincinnati, OH); Videos; Twitter
Zeke Correll is a 5.8 rated four-star from Cincinnati, Ohio. He holds offers from Cincinnati, Duke, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio State, and Toledo. Correll has visited and camped at Ohio State, where he got his offer. He also has stated that he would like to visit Michigan. His family has several connections to Kentucky, but he said that will not affect his recruitment, and that he is open to information about different schools.

****Rodas Johnson (Lewis Center, OH); Videos; Twitter
Rodas Johnson is a 5.8 rated four-star from Lewis Center, Ohio. He holds offers from Cincinnati, Iowa, Kentucky, Notre Dame, Penn State, Rutgers, and more. Notre Dame is one school that is “definitely up there” when it comes to his recruitment.

TGR Quote: “I haven’t been talking to coaches, just focusing on the season. I know they offered, and they have a new coaching staff.”

***Bryce Benhart (Lakeville, MN); Videos: Twitter
Bryce Benhart is a 5.7 rated three-star from Lakeville, Minnesota. He holds offers from Iowa State, Northwestern, UCLA, and Wisconsin. Benhart also attended a Nebraska camp, and was marked as a standout on HuskerOnline.com. Benhart has been to several Minnesota events, most recently the August 5th open practice that he attended with his dad. With his Lakeville North teammate Nathan Boe being a Gopher in the 2018 class, it is very possible that Benhart will follow suit and be a Gopher as well.

Charles Turner (Bradenton, FL); Videos; Twitter
Charles Turner is an unranked offensive tackle from IMG Academy in Florida. He holds offers from Cincinnati, Kentucky, and others. Turner listed Cincinnati as a very good offer, but has listed Minnesota as his leader. Quote from BearcatReport.com: “Minnesota would be at the top of my list right now. I like what Coach (Ed) Warinner is doing right now. He had one of best offensive lines at Ohio St. I like what Coach (PJ) Fleck is doing there, too. He turned Western Michigan around and turned them into a top 25 program. There’s a lot of good coaching over there.”

TGR Quote: “I talked to Coach Warriner two weeks ago. They said that they’re still very interested and that they’re recruiting me hard.”

****Logan Brown (Kentville, MI); Videos; Twitter
Logan Brown is a 6.0 rated four-star from Kentville, Michigan. He holds offers from Alabama, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and more. He has visited Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin (twice). He has listed Wisconsin as his favorite school.

****Spencer Brown (Walled Lake, MI); Videos; Twitter - Committed to Michigan State
Spencer Brown is a 5.8 rated four-star from Walled Lake, Michigan. He committed to Michigan State over 20+ over FBS schools that offered him. He committed on his unofficial visit there on July 29th. He said MSU has always been his dream school.

****Nolan Rumler (Akron, OH); Videos; Twitter - Committed to Michigan
Nolan Rumler is a 5.9 rated four-star from Akron, Ohio. He committed to Michigan over many Power-Five offers. He has stated that he always knew it was going to be Michigan that he committed to.

***Tyler Endres (Norwalk, IA); Videos; Twitter - Committed to Iowa
Tyler Endres is a 5.6 rated three-star from Norwalk, Iowa. He committed to Iowa over offers from Iowa State, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Endres grew up a fan of Iowa, even though he said that didn’t play a factor in his recruitment.

Defensive Tackles

****Mazi Smith (Kentwood, MI); Videos; Twitter
Mazi Smith is a 5.8 rated four-star from Kentwood, Michigan. He holds offers from Akron, Alabama, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Notre Dame, Pitt, Western Michigan, and Wisconsin. Smith has camped at Notre Dame, and visited Wisconsin. He says he is hearing the most from Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, and Wisconsin.

Defensive Ends

****Beau Robbins (Carmel, IN); Videos; Twitter
Beau Robbins is a 5.9 rated four-star from Carmel, Indiana. He holds offers from Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Indiana, and Purdue. Robbins has visited Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Northwestern.

***Jason Bargy (Momence, IL); Videos; Twitter
Jason Bargy is a 5.7 rated three-star from Momence, Illinois. He holds offers from Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan State, Notre Dame, and Purdue. He is also a great athlete, as he plays running back for the offense. He has said Notre Dame is his favorite at the moment. At 6’5”, 231 pounds, Bargy also plays running back for his high school team and ran for 1,266 yards and 12 touchdowns as a sophomore. Defensively, he had 61 tackles and four sacks.

***Blake Peterson (Beresford, SD); Videos; Twitter
Blake Peterson is a 5.6 rated three-star from Beresford South Dakota. He holds offers from Iowa State, South Dakota, and South Dakota State. So far, he has visited Iowa State twice, and Iowa once.

TGR Quote: “I’ve been talking with (Coach) Bryce Paup. The biggest things they have been talking about is their culture and the new direction of Minnesota football, and what they’re headed for.”

Mosai Newsom (Waverly, IA); Videos; Twitter
Mosai Newsome is an unranked defensive end from Waverly, Iowa. He holds offers from Iowa and South Dakota. Newsome visited Minnesota for the recruiting BBQ, and has also visited Iowa. Newsome on Minnesota trip: “It was good. I had a lot of fun there. It was just doing the same thing in building relationships with their coaches. It was good.” He says he does not have a favorite as of now.

Dontay Hunter (Columbus, OH); Videos; Twitter
Dontay Hunter is an unranked defensive end from Columbus, Ohio. He holds one other offer from Kentucky. TGR story by Marc Givler: Ohio DE Dontay Hunter "loves" PJ Fleck and Minnesota offer. Hunter is also hearing from Cincinnati, Toledo, Kent State, and Northwestern along with the schools that have offered.

TGR Quote: “They haven’t been in too much contact with me. The last they they spoke to me was when they offered me.”

Linebackers

***Shammond Cooper (St. Louis, MO); Videos; Twitter
Shammond Cooper is a 5.7 rated three-star from St. Louis, Missouri. He holds offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Iowa, LSU, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and more.

***Nick Henrich (Omaha, NE); Videos; Twitter
Nick Henrich is a 5.5 rated three-star from Omaha, Nebraska. He holds offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Kentucky, Nebraska, Ohio, and South Dakota State. Henrich was one of the 2019 recruits at the Gophers recruiting BBQ, and said his visit and conversation with the staff was great. He lists Minnesota as a school recruiting him the hardest

TGR Article: 2019 linebacker talks Gophers, recruiting

***Jamir Thomas (Massillon, OH); Videos; Twitter
Jamir Thomas is a 5.7 rated three-star from Massillon, Ohio. He holds offers from Cincinnati, Kentucky, Iowa State, Michigan, Michigan State, Pitt, Rutgers, and West Virginia. Ohio State, and Oregon have also been in contact with Thomas.

Cornerbacks

****Nyquee Hawkins (Orange, NJ); Videos; Twitter
Nyquee Hawkins is a 5.8 rated four-star from Orange, New Jersey. Hawkins holds offers from Maryland, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, and more. Hawkins visited Minnesota on March 25th. He also has heavy reciprocating interest from, and has visited Penn State and Michigan. TGR visit article: Hawkins talks junior day

TGR Quote (from visit): “I didn’t know (Fleck) was that young, but it was a real good meeting. We talked for like half an hour, and I was just talking with him, asking questions and getting to know the campus, asking him why he left Western Michigan and everything. I was just getting to know him. He’s a real high-energy guy. The talk went well. He got to know me and my parents and I got to know him as well. He was saying that he would love to have me here. It’s a beautiful city, and they have a lot to offer.”

****Moses Douglass (Springfield, OH); Videos; Twitter
Moses Douglass is a 5.8 rated four-star from Springfield, Ohio. Douglass holds offers from Alabama, Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Purdue, Rutgers, and more. Douglass has visited many schools so far, including Ohio State, Michigan, Louisville, Indiana, Louisville, Michigan State, Western Michigan, Kentucky, and is looking for more visits as well. He’s listed as a cornerback right now, but could be changing to a safety, linebacker hybrid.

TGR Quote: “I’d like to visit them this year. P.J. Fleck, Row the Boat. He gets guys that fit the program.”

More CB Names (No offer):

Anthony Coleman (Johnston, Iowa)
Anthony Coleman is an unranked cornerback from Johnston, Iowa. He holds no offers so far, but has garnered plenty of interest from schools like Arkansas, Florida State, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, and more. He was in Minnesota for an unofficial visit on July 28th.

TGR Quote: “I have a pretty good relationship with Bryce Paup, as he recruits my area. My relationship with the rest of the staff is quite new but I got to meet some of the coaches on my visit.”

Safeties

****Marvin Grant Jr (Detroit, MI); Videos; Twitter
Marvin Grant Jr. is a 5.8 rated four-star from Detroit, Michigan. He holds offers from Cincinnati, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Notre Dame, and more. Grant has a few friends that play at Michigan, and they are his home school, so they will be difficult to beat out.

***Malik Washington (Lilburn, GA); Videos; Twitter
Malik Washington is a 5.6 rated three-star from Lilburn, Georgia. He holds offers from Auburn, Cincinnati, Duke, Indiana, Mississippi State, Tennessee, and more. He had Vanderbilt on top of his list early, but gained many more offers and now is considering other schools more seriously. Tennessee could be a big player, and he has visited before. He tells TGR he has not been in contact with Minnesota since the offer.

***Sebastian Castro (Oak Lawn, IL); Videos; Twitter
Castro is a 5.6 rated three-star from Oak Lawn, Illinois. He holds offers from Indiana, Iowa, and Syracuse. Castro has also has visited Notre Dame and has interest from several other schools that are yet to offer.

TGR Quote: “I’ve been in contact with them. I was supposed to visit before summer ended, but unfortunately we couldn’t go. I talk to Coach Callahan. I visited early on in the school year(April), and I was impressed with the culture and winning mindset the P.J. Fleck is bringing to the table.”

***Jarrian Jones (Brandon, MS); Videos; Twitter
Jarrian Jones is a 5.7 rated three-star from Brandon, Mississippi. He holds offers from Georgia, Marshall, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Oklahoma. He was previously committed to Mississippi State, but decommitted because he wanted to take more time on his decision. He tells TGR that Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Oklahoma are sticking out to him.

Athletes

****Isaiah Williams (St. Louis, MO); Videos; Twitter
Isaiah Williams is a 5.9 rated four-star from St. Louis, Missouri. He holds offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas, UCLA, Wisconsin, and more. Williams last visit of the summer was to Nebraska, and he enjoyed that visit a lot. He is in the process of picking finalists that he is going to focus on for the remainder of his recruitment.

****Jalani Williams (St. Louis, MO); Videos; Twitter

Jalani Williams is a 5.8 rated four-star from St. Louis, Missouri. He holds offers from Illinois, Iowa, Louisville, Missouri, Nebraska, UCLA, Wisconsin, and more. He visited Nebraska for their spring game, and has visited Iowa. Williams took defensive MVP honors at the Rivals 3-Stripe Camp camp in St. Louis, Missouri.

****Dylan Wright (Ennis, TX); Videos; Twitter

Dylan Wright is a 5.8 rated four-star from Ennis, Texas. He holds offers from Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska, and more. He also has been talking to schools like Baylor, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and TCU and is getting more recruiting attention as of late. He tells TGR he hasn’t heard much Minnesota since the offer.

***Jalyn Phillips (Lawrenceville, GA); Videos; Twitter

Jalyn Phillips is a 5.7 rated three-star from Lawrenceville, Georgia. He holds offers from Alabama, Colorado, Illinois, Mississippi State, UNC, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA, Wisconsin, and more. He is a big fan of Clemson, and they are evaluating him right now. Clemson will be far and away the favorite if they decide to offer.

****Cam Phillips (Westerville, OH); Videos; Twitter

Cam Phillips is a 5.8 rated four-star from Westerville, Ohio. He holds offers from Cincinnati, Illinois, and Wisconsin. He has visited Ohio State, Pitt, and Wisconsin. Also has interest from Michigan State, Northwestern, and Rutgers. He is going to decide based on relationship with coaches and the academic situation he would like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News