ADVERTISEMENT

CTE and it's impact on our student athletes

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
Chop brought up a point that wrestlers get concussions at a significant rate.. I have been thinking about this and I see this as a tougher solution than even football...HOW CAN YOU MAKE WRESTLING SAFER FOR THE PARTICIPANTS, IN REGARDS TO THE ISSUE OF HEAD TRAUMA?? I see this as difficult as if you look at a top flight program at Minnesota, you have multiple athletes that have multiple state championships in their high school years, IN EACH WEIGHT CLASS.. These are guys that are obsessive athletes who have an established history of competing hard and in the wrestling room, it is "BALLS TO THE WALL" in the wrestle offs each day, I am sure. None of the backups are used to sitting coming out of HS, so they want varsity time as much as the guys actually on the mat for the varsity meets. I dont know what type of equipment you could create for the guys that would not prohibit movement in a wrestling situation.. Is it just one of those things that will always be inherent in the sport??.... Any ideas to make it safer?? If it isn't a problem and it goes back to the statement "Hey it is what it is.. They choose to do the sport and it comes with the territory" , then this is a moot point.. Otherwise, is there any progress in helping wrestlers' head safety, by any athletic equipment company or organization??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News