ADVERTISEMENT

GI Practice Report #1

Ryan Burns

Aug 8, 2010
Oakdale, MN
With it being only helmets today, it's hard to see what these guys would actually be like with pads on, but here are my initial thoughts.

Here are the first teams from today:
QB: Nelson and Leidner
RB: Rodrick and Donnell
FB/H-back: Henry
WR: DCT, Fruechte and Engel with KJ working in at the slot
LT: Lenkiewicz
LG: Epping
C: Christenson
RG: Bjorklund
RT: Campion
TE: Goodger, Plsek and Maxx Williams all rotated in

DE: Cockran
DT: Hagemen
DT: Botticelli
DE: Amaefula
OLB: Hill
MLB: Jack Lynn
OLB: Manuel
CB: Wells
CB: Balthazar
S: Vereen
S: Thompson

2nd teams:

QB: Streveler and Foreman
RB: Cobb and Banham
TE: Ngekia, KGM and Alipate
WR: Harbison, Hutton, Wright and Wilson
LT: Lauer
LG: Tommy Olson
C: Bobek
RG: Hayes
LT: Bush

DE: Keith
DT: Scott Ekpe
DT: Legania
DE: Perry
OLB: Edwards
MLB: Wilson
OLB: Rallis
CB: Murray
CB: Shabazz
S: Johnson
S: Travis

Players in orange jerseys who were out in orange jerseys today with Mottla and Ed Olson. Mottla was using a cane.
Jamel Harbison and Marcus Jones were both in non-contact green jerseys.

Of the quarterbacks today, Nelson looked to definitely be the most confident thrower of the group. I'd say he was the most consistent of the three as well. Leidner definitely has the biggest arm to me, but he was picked off on a bad ball that Derrick Wells took easily. Streveler looks as big as advertised, but there were some nerves today for the young quarterback.

The running backs and defensive line didn't really get much live action, but it's clear that it's Williams and Kirkwood as the feature backs. Gillum and Caleb Bak were absent as they had class.

For the wide receivers, Harbison looks to be getting back close to 100% and he looked really good in and out of cuts. Crawford-Tufts and Fruechte also looked good on their cuts as well.

The surprise of the day to me was Jack Lynn. Not only is he running with the 1's, he looks the part physically. He's listed at 6'3" and 234 pounds, but he's taller than I am, so I'm saying 6'4" - 6'5" and he looked good moving laterally.

Damien Wilson was the back-up MLB, but I'm sure they're just trying to help him learn the system as Coach Miller did a lot of teaching to him today. He's not as fast or laterally quick as I'd thought he'd be, but again, until the pads come on, they all look good.

Derrick Wells was exclusively at corner today and he batted a few balls away and got the days only interception as well. The transition looks to be going really well for the young Florida defensive back as he didn't get beat today.

Hank Ekpe and Hinojosa rotated in with the 3's and received a lot of attention today from Coach Phelps. Hinojosa has a good motor and you can tell Ekpe has put on some weight since he stepped on campus.

Other than that guys, it was a lot of just drills and not much live action as they only had helmets on. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them so just post.

This post was edited on 3/26 7:02 PM by Ryan Burns

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News