ADVERTISEMENT

GI Practice Report: August 3rd

Ryan Burns

Aug 8, 2010
Oakdale, MN
I'll start out by saying this. I would have a running thread of what I'm seeing at practice live, but it's been asked since Coach Kill got here and again this year that no "tweeting" or giving live updates is allowed during practice. So until I hear other wise, I'm going to stick to what I've been told.

Here are the first teams from today:
QB: Nelson and Leidner
RB: Rodrick and Donnell
FB/H-back: Henry
WR: Fruechte and Engel, KJ Maye, Harbison
LT: Lenkiewicz
LG: Epping
C: Christenson
RG: Bak
RT: Campion
TE: Goodger, Plsek and Maxx Williams

DE: Cockran
DT: Hagemen
DT: Botticelli
DE: Amaefula
OLB: Hill
MLB: Jack Lynn
OLB: Manuel
CB: Wells
CB: Murray
S: Vereen
S: Thompson

2nd teams:

QB: Streveler and Donovahn Jones
RB: Cobb and Edwards
TE: Ngekia, Bisch and Anyanwu
WR: Carter, McDonald, Keise, Wright and Wolitarsky
LT: Ed Olson
LG: Bjorklund
C: Tommy Olson
RG: Hayes
LT: Bush

DE: Keith
DT: Scott Ekpe
DT: Roland Johnson
DE: Perry
OLB: Campbell
MLB: Wilson
OLB: Rallis
CB: Baltazar
CB: Shabazz
S: Johnson
S: Travis

For those asking about what practice tempo and how it's run, here's what I can tell ya.

Even though practice starts at 10:25, I arrived at 9:40 and the team had been out there for a good time before me practicing special teams. A lot of walk-through on punt/punt return, kickoff/kickoff return, just getting guys lined up and making sure everyone knows their assignments. During this time before practice, the offensive and defensive line are doing just some iso work with technique and what not.

Practice tempo is extremely high at all times or else you'll hear Coach Kill busting someones ass and trust me, with it being year three, everyone is flying around. Even all the big boys. Practice starts off with some special teams work and some individual time with each position group and their coaches before coming together for the One on One with the WR's and DB's. Once they can put some pads on, they'll go one on one pass rush with the OL and DL. Then for the OL and DL with no pads, it's just a lot of indy time. For everyone else, they go one on ones with some pass shell thrown in there. Then they do install with everyone and just getting the plays down and making sure everyone knows their assignment. Before ending practice with some team time. Once pads come on, that'll be the fun part to watch.

The first and third teams are mixed together as well as the second and fourth teams. So Josh Campion (1st team) goes against Michael Amuefula (1st team) and then Alex Mayes (3rd team) goes against Hank Ekpe (3rd team) if that makes sense.

Quarterbacks:

Nelson: He was the best quarterback today, but that wasn't saying much. He was pretty accurate all day and consistent, which is saying something for Gopher quarterbacks. Made some very good throws including one to Eric Carter who made an outstanding catch highpointing the ball. He did miss Fruechte WIDE open on a 25 seam underthrowing him badly. With only being a true sophomore, Nelson is a definite leader of this offense with Kirkwood and Campion.

Leidner: I feel like my tune on him hasn't changed since the spring. He's so inconsistent it's maddening. During one on ones, I think he had 11 throws and he overthrew the WR 6 times and was picked twice. Just flat out bad honestly. Then he'll go and throw a perfect fade 15 minutes later to Fruechte right in the bread basket. If we're going off physical tools, Leidner has Nelson beat flat out. You look at Leidner and can see why the staff is so high on him and why he's going to get snaps this year as he's 6'4" 230 lbs and can move very well. I'm frankly excited about his future because if Leidner can become consistent, he'll be a very good Big Ten quarterback down the road.

Chris Streveler and Donovahn Jones: Watching them play the game of football, these two have to be among the best athletes on the team and that's not a stretch. Watching them play the quarterback position on the other hand isn't very pretty. Streveler's throwing motion like has been said, is short and compact. He does get some velocity on throws, but the mental side of the game just doesn't quite look like it's clicking yet. There were numerous times he had the opportunity to make throws, but chose to tuck and run and make the play with his feet. Donovahn Jones just needs to add some upper body strength and I'll feel much better about him as my future quarterback. Jones is listed at 190 lbs and I definitely wouldn't say he weighs more than that. I just like his poise to stay in the pocket and ability to make plays. Do I think Jones would be a great wide receiver if he moves? Absolutely. In my opinion though, I think Donovahn Jones is a better quarterback prospect than Chris Streveler. I think Jones should redshirt this year and learn the position while Streveler could help this team at the wide receiver position this year. He is a tremendous athlete.

Running backs:

Until pads come on and seeing their abilities to make plays and break tackles, this is all so subjective. It's clear that Kirkwood is the number one back with Williams to spell him, but I can definitely see Berkley seeing some carries.

Kirkwood is the more complete and polished back out of the three. He's good at many things, but not really great at anything if that makes sense.
Williams is the big bruising back that's not very fast, but will absolutely punish you if you get in his way. He'll definitely see some short yardage carries this year.
Edwards just has another gear that no other player on this Gopher roster has, plain and simple. His ability to accelerate from a standstill is incredible and he's shifty to go with his great speed. He's got too much speed where he'll have to see the field this year.

Tight End:

I'm not sure if there's a position I'm more excited about it's potential down the line than this group. Goodger has lost some more baby weight around his mid-section and looks primed to be the number one tight end this year. Classmates Lincoln Plsek and Maxx Williams as sophomores (Maxx a RS freshman) look to have extremely bright futures. Plsek is going to bury people in the trenches and Maxx's frame just makes you think NFL tight end. He runs extremely well for his height and is very athletic beating a few safeties down the seam. I just want to see how he can runblock and I'll be sold on him down the line. Then you have guys like Anyanwu whose put on some real good weight and Wozniak the future red zone target who make you think these guys can be special.

Wide Receiver:

This group I'm still most concerned about. The amount of drops today that I saw was simply unacceptable. For this offense using the run to set up the pass, our receivers need to catch the ball, that's it.

I can almost guarantee you're starting WR's this year will be Engel and Fruechte with Maye and Harbison in the slot. Hopefully McDonald can keep progressing and you can get something out of him, but those four guys I'd be pretty safe in saying they'll see a significant amount of snaps. Engel is very explosive in his cuts on his routes and really drives out of his breaks. Thus creating space for him to get open and giving Nelson someone to throw the ball to. Wolitarsky is among the top route runners as they're just crisp in his breaks and he'll go 12 back to 10 everytime. Eric Carter was impressive again today as his routes are crisp as well, creating space between him and the DB and his hands are great. Every catch, Carter using his arms extended away from his body and doesn't catch it with his stomach. The highlight of the WR's today was Carter going up on a 50/50 ball from Nelson with Marcus Jones on his hip, jumping and highpointing the ball, and coming down with the catch. Nelson and Poore ran over to him with immediate praise. Watch for him to get some jet sweeps as he received a few today.

Offensive Line:

Without pads on, it's tough to tell too much, but I finally feel comfortable in saying these maulers finally look the part of a Big Ten offensive line. There isn't a guy I look at and go, man he really could put on some weight. From Campion to Bak to any of these guys, IF they can stay healthy, you'll see a rushing attack that you're going to be proud of. Also you can see DEPTH (yes I know that word is something new to Minnesota's OL) forming behind each position on the line as these guys are getting older and stronger. I'm very excited about this groups potential. Tommy Olson was the 2nd string center today as well. I didn't see any exchange issues today.

Defensive Line:

Three guys that I focused on today were Cameron Botticelli, Alex Keith and Owen Salzwedel. I'm not sure if there's more of a guy that impacts Ra'Shede Hageman more than Botticelli. If he can continue to play well and make the center take the double teams off Hageman, Optimus Prime could be in for a gigantic year. Botticelli is the only DT that can stand next to Hageman and not look tiny as well. Alex Keith's first step could put him right in the shoes of DL Wilhite from last year. Keith's first step is so quick and explosive, combined with his ability to make himself skinny going around the tackle making it hard to get hands on him, will definitely put him among the Gophers sack leaders this year. I heard this yesterday and again today, but watch out for true freshman Owen Salzwedel. I heard from members of the staff that he was the best freshman out there and his ability to rush the passer may get him on the field this year. I'm extremely anxious to see him put pads on, but know that he looks the part at 6'6" 240lbs.

Linebacker:

If someone told me today that Aaron Hill, Damien Wilson and De'Vondre Campbell were going to start against UNLV, I'd fully agree with them. Wilson has lost some of that bad baby weight around his mid-section and looks jacked, but just healthier. He's out there flying around and I wouldn't be surprised to hear he's the starting MLB real soon. De'Vondre Campbell is simply too great of an athlete to not be on the field at Sam linebacker. I heard Claeys talk about how Campbell made a mistake early, received some coaching from himself and Miller, then corrected it next time that play was called. Campbell is learning quickly at 2nd string linebacker and I think he starts come fall.

Defensive back:

Like was said yesterday, this is the best group on the team and best defensive backs Minnesota has had in years. Cedric Thompson has been absolutely tearing it up this fall so far and I'm expecting that to continue into the season. During one on ones, he read the break out of a curl perfectly and jumped the route for an easy pick six. Then proceeded to read a double move perfectly and high point the ball for another easy interception. Eric Murray also had a couple of easy swats as his ability to read the receiver as a true sophomore is more impressive than anything. Murray will play in the NFL, I'm telling you guys. Guys like Jalen Myrick got a pick six after Andre McDonald had some deflect off his hands. These DB's are more opportunistic and will finally (hopefully) create some defensive turnovers.

Some other notes I have are that if Andre McDonald can put it together, man is he going to be special. He's an absolute freak athletically out there as he's on a whole nother level than every other WR, but it's still not clicking yet. He'll go out and just muscle a DB out of the way on a fade for an easy TD, than next play have a perfectly thrown slant go right through his hands for an easy pick six. If he can put things together, he'll be a special part of this ever bright Gopher future.

If you guys have any questions as always, I'm here to answer them all.

This post was edited on 8/4 4:07 PM by Ryan Burns

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News