ADVERTISEMENT

GI Practice Report: August 4th

Ryan Burns

Aug 8, 2010
Oakdale, MN
I'll start out by saying this, again. I would have a running thread of what I'm seeing at practice live, but it's been asked since Coach Kill got here and again this year that no "tweeting" or giving live updates is allowed during practice. So until I hear other wise, I'm going to stick to what I've been told.

Projected 1st team depth chart:
QB: Philip Nelson (not by much)
RB: Donnell Kirkwood and Rodrick Williams
FB/H-back: Mike Henry
WR: Fruechte, Engel, KJ Maye, Harbison
LT: Ed Olson (not by much over Lenky)
LG: Epping
C: Christenson
RG: Bak
RT: Campion
TE: Goodger, Plsek and Maxx Williams

DE: Cockran
DT: Hagemen
DT: Botticelli
DE: Amaefula
OLB: Aaron Hill
MLB: Damien Wilson
OLB: De'Vondre Campbell
CB: Wells
CB: Murray
S: Vereen
S: Thompson

Projected 2nd team:

QB: Mitch Leidner
RB: David Cobb and Berkley Edwards
TE: Ngekia, Bisch and Anyanwu
WR: Andre McDonald and Eric Carter
LT: Marek Lenkiewicz
LG: Bjorklund
C: Tommy Olson
RG: Hayes
LT: Bush

DE: Keith
DT: Scott Ekpe
DT: Roland Johnson
DE: Perry
OLB: Nick Rallis
MLB: Jack Lynn
OLB: James Manuel
CB: Boddy-Calhoun
CB: Shabazz
S: Johnson
S: Travis

Understand that there are key position battles up for grabs at QB, TE, LT, and most of the LB positions and a lot has yet to be decided. This is just my opinion after watching the first three days of camp.

Quarterbacks:

As much as I hate to be the guy to drum up something that isn't there, there really is a quarterback controversy brewing at Gopher camp between Philip Nelson and Mitch Leidner and you can't hide it. Nelson had probably his best day of camp today, but as did Leidner. They each in pass shell today had 6 completions with 4 incompletions with a bad interception that the OLB read the flat route and jumped it so it was a wash there, until Leidner impressed with back-to-back 35+yard completions to Andre McDonald. What Nelson has over Leidner that's separating the two is just his experience of six Big Ten starts. Mitch has all the physical tools to be a really good Big Ten quarterback as he has tremendous arm strength and is very mobile in the pocket and can make plays with his feet. The mental part of the game is what's slowing him down as he's just still inconsistent. He made those two beautiful throws to Andre and then forced a ball between three defenders. The other difference between Nelson and Leidner is that Leidner only misses long and Nelson only misses short. I've honestly yet to see either one do the opposite. Nelson did complete some very good balls today including one to Isaac Fruechte where he put it on his back shoulder with Eric Murray on his hip. He also put one to Andre McDonald on a post where only he could catch it between two defenders.

I feel very good about the future of the Gophers quarterback position as both are just sophomores (Leidner a RS freshman). I'm excited to see how this plays out as I'd be comfortable with either starting the season at UNLV.

Chris Streveler and Donovahn Jones: I still think in the long term, Donovahn Jones would be a better quarterback, but I'm seeing that it's never going to happen. Jones' throwing motion and natural quarterback prowess are much better than Streveler IMO, but I believe Jones' future is going to be a wide receiver. He's so athletic that when you watch him sit back in the pocket and allude guys for the first time today, it's there, but his frame just can't bear the Big Ten season. I think he can help at wide receiver this year and definitely has the potential to be a all-B1G wide receiver. Streveler's frame can bear the brunt of running the ball 10-15 times a game and just ultimately seeing him being Minnesota's 3rd string quarterback this year. Is his throwing motion unconventional? Absolutely. But you can see him picking up the offense and reading the defense better and better with the snaps he does get.

That's why I think by the end of fall camp, it'll go Nelson 1, Leidner 2, Streveler 3.

Notes:

I watched Rodrick Williams more today and man does this kid run hard. He hit the holes with some ferocity and would have absolutely destroy some defensive backs, but I can see him taking more and more snaps next year. The thing that's a definite red flag for him that will keep him off the field this year is his pass blocking ability. Teams began to hone in and load the box when Williams came in the game last year because he can't pass protect really at all. Anderson was on him again today when he missed a block, so that's what holding him back. You'd think for a back that runs over people, pass protecting would come second nature, but he's got a ways to go. The guy with the most potential in this backfield is still David Cobb though. He's got all the physical tools you look for in a running back and I'm excited to see if he can get some carries this year what he can do. Berkley's role this year I still think is in the returning and 3rd down running back department as he has good hands, but time will tell.

When Kill was asked after practice today what players stood out to him the most so far, Drew Goodger was the first name off his tongue and I believe it. I've yet to see him drop a ball this camp and no matter who the quarterback is, I think it's safe to say he'll be a very good security blanket for the Gopher this fall. Lincoln Plsek caught my eye again today when he just buried a linebacker into the ground and Reeves gave him some praise for that. Maxx Williams again caught a ball up the seam for what would have been a big gain, he has the best speed of the three tight ends.

About an hour before practice, the kickers finally got to showcase their skills and I like the potential that Ryan Santoso has. He has the best leg of the group and he really makes it look easy. The ball really pops off his foot and he was very accurate today. I have him pegged in as the kickoff guy and considering today was the first time they've kicked at all, he'll be battling for both the punting and kicking job. There was no outside punting today. Hawthrone made his tries, but he just doesn't have the leg strength that Santoso does.

Andre McDonald had himself a day today. He is thee most physically imposing receiver on the field and made it known today. Leidner to McDonald was a theme today today on the deep ball as Leidner gave him a great chance at each ball and McDonald made the catch, most of the time. The play that stood out to me was McDonald against Eric Murray and his adjustment to the ball as he positioned himself from the inside to the outside of his Murray, found the ball and had a great diving catch in the endzone. He's strong enough to fend off the DB's and get the ball if he wants it, the thing is that his hands are still suspect. He has no problem getting open, but numerous times today balls went in and out of his hands for incompletions. If and when he gets that under control, it's going to be exciting folks. Surprise surprise, Eric Carter made another great catch along the sideline that resulted in an awkward fall that shook him up a bit, but he continues to make plays. He's with the developmental group as are all the freshman, so we'll see where he is Saturday at the scrimmage.

The offensive and defensive line with shells on today got to hit some more, but still no one on ones. It's was almost comical as there would be plays during 11 on 11 where a second after the snap, there'd be Ra'Shede in the backfield like no one blocked him. Yes someone tried to block him, but his combination of size and speed overwhelm you so fast. Botticelli also played well today with a few TFL and sacks, Phelps was very pleased his effort today. Cockran would have had a couple of "sacks" today, he's becoming more and more explosive from when I saw him this spring. I can't see Salzwedel getting any snaps, but he made plans in closing down the gap on an option with his length and Kill was very excited about that. The offensive line definitely opened up some holes for the running backs today getting them into the 2nd level, and frankly that's all you can ask. I'm very high on the things the O-line will do this year IF they can stay healthy.

They are the unit now where I look at the 2nd group of O-lineman and feel comfortable about the depth we have there, where you couldn't say that last year or the year before. They're a year big and stronger and look like a Big Ten line should.

Whomever wins the battle at Mike linebacker, I'm excited to see what they can do this fall. Damien Wilson just has the pop when he hits someone that no one else in this linebacker core, short of Nick Rallis. His issue will be getting lined up correctly as Miller and Sherels have been reminding him in practice on the regular. Jack Lynn's frame makes him look "skinny" but he plays bigger than he is. I like his closing speed and can't wait to see where he is two years from now. Looking at Ray Dixon and De'Niro Laster side by side, these guys are have the tools to be B1G linebackers. Laster's body is physically ready, but the learning curve looks a little steep so far for him. You have to remember that Laster and De'Vondre Campbell are either in their 2nd or 3rd years at linebacker, so they're learning on the fly. When the lightbulb goes on for these two and they can play without thinking, linebackers will no longer be an issue. Even though Nick Rallis is short in stature, he plays much bigger. He's up there for the hardest hitters on the team and really seems to know the defense and gets people lined up. He's running with the 2nd team LB's and as a RS freshman, I think the more and more he plays, the better he'll become.

Derrick Wells was in a limited green practice jersey today as he sustained a shoulder injury Friday, but it's not serious at all. With Wells out today, Briean Boddy took his spot with the first team and did well. Boddy is not the tallest DB, but his quickness is one of the best on the team. I think Boddy's role will be the nickel corner with Wells and Murray starting. Steven Montgomery jumped Philip Nelson's pass for a pick six, he finally looks like the pieces are starting to come together, but it'll be tough to move up on the depth chart just because there's so much competition. These DB's will force more turnovers than any Jerry Kill Gopher team.

After practice, freshman DB Jalen Myrick was running some handoffs at running back from Chris Streveler with Coach Anderson looking on. Myrick definitely has the speed to transition to offense, but I'm sure it's nothing.

Again, if any questions, please post below. I'll be attending the scrimmage on Saturday as well.

This post was edited on 8/4 5:11 PM by Ryan Burns

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News