ADVERTISEMENT

GOPHER HOOPS: Maybe a different way of looking at the NOLAN WINTERS recruiting

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
I had a horrible weight lifting accident that has limited my ability to walk so I dont get out to see the HS kids like I used to do, during AAU season or even during the regular season of high school ball. But I still stay in contact with 5-6 guys that go on the road to watch these kids in tournaments, east of the Mississippi, like I used to do. These are guys that I am very confident of their basketball knowledge and ability to scout players. They all feel that Minnesota has already recruited over Nolan Winter and our fanbase will find that out.

I think that if Kadyn Betts stays healthy, he will be a much better player than Winter. Betts almost shoots the ball as well as Winter and is superior in all other phases of the game compared to Winter. Pharrell Payne is also going to be a heck of a player. If Minnesota does get Dennis Evans, my question to the fans of Nolan coming to Minnesota would be "WHERE WOULD NOLAN GET HIS MINUTES IF HE CAME TO MINNESOTA??"

Minnesota will start Dawson Garcia and Jameson Battle at forward with Pharrell Payne at center. Next season, when Nolan would have come in, Isaiah Ihnen would be coming back and ahead of Winter in all probability, as a backup 4. Parker Fox may factor in as well. Battle would start at the 3 with Betts and Olu Joseph off the bench. I dont think a lot of people know that Olu Joseph was playing as well as anyone from Minnesota in his last year in AAU. Payne with possibly Dennis Evans and Treyton Thompson behind. I know the response will be that Garcia and Battle could be good enough to leave for the NBA draft early.

You can imagine if WINTER sought counsel from outside the family that he would talk to his HS coach and former players of Lakeville. I am sure almost all would have given a glowing response about Wisconsin. Those points of influence outside of Dad and Mom would be strong for the Badgers. His playing time early would be better at Wisconsin than Minnesota, IMO.

Most of you who have read my posts know that my Mom went to Minnesota and I was born in St Paul, so I am a huge Gopher fan. My Dad wrestled at Wisconsin. The Badgers are the only game in town in Madison and lets face it, Wisconsin has a nice campus along the lakes there. The facilities are nice and not the hustle and bustle of the Twin Cities. So Wisconsin does have redeeming qualities though they are a hated rival of ours in sports. Nolan can develop in that system and he could do well at a program that does not stress athleticism as much as other programs. Nolan is also recovering from injury so he might need a program patient with him in that respect, as well.

I wish him the best though it does stink a potential legacy recruit would pick an archrival program of his parents. I wish Nolan the best and that he would experience nothing but losses to the hometown Gophers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News