ADVERTISEMENT

GOPHER VOLLEYBALL - HUGH MCCUTCHEON STEPPING DOWN AFTER THIS YEAR

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
Like all of you Gopher volleyball fans, I was shocked to hear that Hugh McCutcheon was stepping down as head volleyball coach at the end of the year. I have a hard time thinking any program would be able to fill his shoes when it is someone like McCutcheon. What a legacy and pedigree at both the college and international levels!! Everyone talks about his humility as a person and his genuineness. IT MAKES ME SAD TO THINK ABOUT IT, HONESTLY!!!! Yet so thankful he represented Minnesota so well!!!

I am shocked about the timing. He has 2 players on the squad that will be back next year, that were rated as the top prep volleyball players in the nation in their senior class in Taylor Landfair and McKenna Wucherer.... Another was a top 3 player in her class in Jenna Wenaas. The 'cupboard wont be bare for the one taking over the program', that is for sure.

Who knows the reason.. I doubt it is significant to discuss. I would hate to have him go to a competing program in the near future. He is a legend though he has not gotten us to the promised land in volleyball, either. Maybe he knows it is time, maybe he is burnt out, maybe he knows the team needs a new voice in leadership, maybe it is family or health reasons.. I just know we will miss him as he is a class coach.

Minnesota is a high profile job and I would imagine we could get a pretty good coach to take the program over. I wonder if the guy over at Concordia in St Paul who won all those D2 titles would be interested. What will our future recruiting look like??? Lots of questions to be answered and I hope the girls band together to usher him out on a high note, that he so richly deserves!!! Thank you for some great moments, Coach McCutcheon!!! You will be missed by all of us who are Gopher fans!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News