ADVERTISEMENT

I spent the weekend in the Twin Cities for the first time in many years. AND NOW I AM MORE PUMPED THAN EVER!!

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
I was in town to celebrate my aunt and uncles 50th wedding anniversary. I got to visit all my childhood memories in the Twin Cities, including University of Minnesota. Basically I took a day by starting on University Avenue from outside Minneapolis, worked through the downtown, and headed east to St. Paul. I got to spend a bit of time on the University campus.. Drove down fraternity row on University Avenue across from the main entrance and then drove through campus to see the buildings... Got shivers when I passed TCF stadium then Williams Arena where I walked around a bit. Seeing Mariucci.. I know you guys will think I am crazy but I was so excited just getting out at the Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant parking lot next to the stadium and arena. I hate to say it but tears in my eyes as I felt I was "home". Dinkytown is still fun and quirky as I remember. Had to drive by the Witches Tower as well.

Then, most people would have done this a bit different but I went back into downtown Minneapolis to look at the Vikings' new stadium, which is incredible. NOW WE NEED MANY BETTER SHOWINGS THAN THE GAME AGAINST THE BRONCOS, THIS WEEKEND!!! Also very impressed with the Twins stadium though I dont think the Target Center for the T-Wolves, next door, has a lot of character. I still cant figure out my obsession with the beauty and stature of the IDS Center but that building is impressive at a distance and close up, as it just seems to tower and look over Minneapolis, even though the 2 other buildings near are roughly the same size.

Got to state capitol and St Paul cathedral and I can honestly tell you those are 2 of the most impressive looking buildings around.. I have been to many state capitols and cathedrals and these rank among the best I have ever seen, I went to my old stomping grounds in the State Fairgrounds/North St. Anthony's area.. Love the ENGLISH GARDEN style of lawns at the houses(or they are people too lazy to maintain their yards.. One or the other LOL). The Twin Cities has planted more trees than even I remember and it makes it more beautiful, to me. I was impressed by that. Drove by Minnehaha Academy along the Mississippi RIver(hoping by chance that some hoops guys were there so I could talk up the U)..LOL. Pretty drive around the river. Went to Lake Nokomis which is a childhood memory and it is still just a beautiful area... I AM PROUD TO BE FROM THE TWIN CITIES and it is STILL one of the most beautiful big city areas in the U.S., in my opinion. Only negative was I went to Sam's bar in Minneapolis to get a Juicy Lucy and they were packed so I could not wait around long enough get one, LOL. Even though Ingebretsens in Minneapolis is probably overpriced stuff, I like the Scandinavian shop and we got some lefsa because none of us took the time to make it homemade.. But it brought back memories that are indelible.

GUYS, THE TRIP TO THE CITIES DID ME GOOD and I AM MORE PUMPED FOR THE GOPHERS IN ALL SPORTS THAN EVER!!!!! We have a University to be proud and cities to match so all the elements are there. LETS GET SOME CHAMPIONSHIPS and GO GOPHERS!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News