ADVERTISEMENT

Junior Day visitor reactions

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
Here are quotes and tweets from Junior Day visitors. I can only embed five tweets per post, so I'm just posting the text from all the tweets. Most tweets included pictures of them in the locker room or on the field.

Woodbury defensive end David Alston (Hudl)
  • TGR quote: "It was good, got to meet Coach Fleck and the rest of the staff. He talked about his new culture and what he's building at Minnesota."
  • Tweet: "Great Junior Day at Minnesota with @HenryGeil6 #SkiUMah"
  • He's a 5.6 three-star with offers from Iowa State, Air Force, Northern Illinois, and Princeton.
Elk River guard Ronald Audette
  • TGR quote: "It was awesome, we checked out the locker room and had student development and academic presentations. And then Coach fleck introduced us to his full time staff and gave us a speech. I really liked all the high energy the staff has."
  • Audette holds an offer from North Dakota.
Highland Park wide receiver/athlete Josh Aune (Hudl)
  • TGR quote: "It went really well; I enjoyed it a lot. We took a tour of the stadium, got presentations from the strength coach, academics, personal development, and Coach Fleck. We got to go on the field, in the locker room to try on jerseys. It was really good to meet the coaches and hear about the program and culture of the U of M."
  • Tweet: "Had a great day today at the University of Minnesota's junior day! #RTB #eLITe"
  • Aune is one of the top players in the state but doesn't hold any offers yet. He's the cousin of former Gopher center John Aune. Josh is listed as an athlete but I'm told Minnesota likes him as a safety. He'll get a chance to camp for an offer this offseason.
Toledo St. John's guard Austin Beier
  • TGR quote: "It went well. I enjoyed it. We got a tour of the stadium, got to hear about the academics and strength program, and then I got to talk with coach Warriner and Fleck."
  • Holds a Minnesota offer in addition to Boston College, Indiana, Northwestern, and Toledo.
Crystal Lake (Ill.) Central High guard Wyatt Blake
  • TGR quote: "We did a lot yesterday. It started with a campus tour with Coach Fleck, my family, and Coach Callahan. After that I meet with Coach Warner, got some food with coach Callahan, and went to the stadium. After that we tried on jerseys, took pics, and walked around. Than we ate, played bags with the coaches and at the end before the basketball game I meet with Coach Fleck again."
  • He holds offers from Minnesota, Duke, Indiana, Kansas State, Missouri, Northwestern, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, and Virginia.
Van Meter (Iowa) guard Sean Boles
  • TGR quote: "The Junior Day was very well coordinated. I was very impressed to see the new buildings that are slated to be finished by next season, and I was especially impressed by the cohesiveness and knowledge that the new coaching staff seemed to have...We took a tour of the stadium facilities, including the locker room, field, and various meeting areas. The coaches collected quantitative data from us, and had us meet with our position and area recruiters...I look forward to seeing how my recruiting class shapes up for Minnesota, and more so look forward to the changes that Coach Fleck will bring to the culture of the Minnesota football program."
  • Boles holds offers from Dartmouth, Penn, and Yale.
Wildwood (Mo.) Lafayette inside linebacker Hayden Bollinger (Hudl)
  • TGR quote: "The junior day went great. We got to see all facilities which were impressive, but I was more impressed by coach Fleck and his staff and the energy and experience they bring."
  • Tweet: "Junior day at Minnesota was amazing. #RTB #Elite18"
  • Holds an offer from Syracuse
2019 Edina lineman Quinn Carroll (Hudl)
  • TGR quote: "I had a great time! We got to tour the facilities in TCF Bank Stadium and meet all of the coaches. I have done all of this before, so most of my time was spent visiting with Coach Fleck and building a stronger relationship with him and his staff."
Cretin-Derham Hall athlete Jackson Crawford
  • TGR quote: "I thought it went alright. Coach PJ showed us exactly what Minnesota football is all about from here on out."
Novi (Mich.) Catholic Central inside linebacker Isaac Darkangelo
  • TGR quote: "It's awesome. I loved it! The new culture is unreal that coach fleck is building! We saw all the football stuff. We were in the stadium the whole time. My favorite part was the coaching staff and the way they run the program...Talked to Coach Smith, the linebackers and defensive coordinator coach. Just asked him about the defense and what it takes to be a linebacker at Minnesota. I also talked to coach Moulton and the trainer and also some other"
  • Only offer is from Division-II Ferris State.
Cretin-Derham Hall safety Charlie Dennis (Hudl)
  • TGR quote: "It was great! I like Coach Mo and Coach Smith a lot and also the new coach. He has a culture I think I will like a lot. He's straight forward and his process seems legit."
  • Tweet: "Had a Elite Day At The U of M yesterday with the Squad #RTB #SKI-U-MAH @NemoMont @benjaminsapp"
  • Dennis has been considered one of the better players in the state for a while but doesn't have any offers yet.
Columbus defensive end Brandon Derrow
  • TGR quote: "It was great! I flew in on Saturday and walked around the campus. Junior Day was held in the stadium, and i heard from all of hte coaches and Coach Fleck, who was an amazing speaker. I got to tour parts of the stadium and tried on a jersey in the locker room, and walked out onto the field."
  • Tweet: "Had a great visit at Minnesota today, thanks to the coaches and staff for the opportunity to visit #elite18 #RTB #SkiUMah"
  • Derrow holds offers from several MAC schools and was offered by Fleck at Western Michigan.
Three-star Milan (Mich.) tackle Michael Furtney
  • TGR quote: "I was able to take a tour of campus with Coach Fleck. We got to hear presentations about strength and conditioning, education, and Minnesota life. We toured the facilities and attended the Minnesota vs Michigan basketball game."
  • Furtney has a Gopher offer in addition to Indiana, Iowa State, Kentucky, Missouri, Nebraska, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Virginia, and Wisconsin. Fleck's been recruiting him since he was at Western Michigan.
Green Bay Preble running back Henry Geil (Hudl)
  • TGR quote: "Junior Day was pretty good. Saw the locker room and met with tons of academic advisors and coaches."
  • Tweet: "Great day at @GopherFootball with my boys @D_Alston5 @isaiah_westfall #RTB"
  • Holds offers from Iowa, Iowa State, and Syracuse.
Blue Springs (Mo.) defensive end John Graves
  • TGR quote: "It was overall an elite day, and I loved being with all the coaches. They welcome me, and I got to talk to some of their starters from last season and that was also a lot of fun. They showed me the jerseys and the field and all the facilities. They might just have the best facilities in the Big 10. And also another highlight of the day was the virtual reality game -- they got to show us the new facilities that they're building. It was jus an elite day."
  • Graves doesn't have any offers right now.
Kansas City Park Hill cornerback Devin Haney
  • TGR quote: "It went pretty good. We saw the locker rooms and the stadium field."
  • Holds offers from Northern Illinois and South Dakota State. Rated a 5.7 so Helmholdt thinks he's underrecruited.
Balsam Lake (Wis.) Unity tackle Cody Ince
  • Tweet: "It was a great day meeting the new era and staff of gopher football! #elite18"
Waunakee (Wis.) athlete L.O. Johnson (Hudl)
  • TGR quote: "We got to see the stadium locker room, basically everything in the stadium...I thought the world of the coaches. I can see myself getting coached by every single one of them. They are genuine good and honest people."
  • Tweet: "#RTB !"
  • Holds several MAC offers.
St. Michael-Albertville athlete Mitchell Kartes
  • TGR quote: "Junior Day at the University of Minnesota was awesome. It was a great experience, and I was able to learn more about the program as a whole. We were able to see the locker room, the hall of fame, and we actually went out on the field.
    I don't think I really had one favorite part of the Junior Day. It all was very intriguing and nice to find out about the college."
  • Tweet: "Great junior day at the University of Minnesota @brysonjw_18 @Coach_Fleck @CoachMGSimon"
Marshall athlete Trey Lance
  • TGR quote: "It was a lot of fun, got to meet pretty much the whole coaching staff and Coach Fleck. We toured the stadium and got to watch presentations from academics, the strength coach, and the student-athlete academic development center."
  • Tweet: "Great day at Minnesota!! #RTB"
  • Lance is a smooth athlete and has a decent arm. He was one of the most impressive players at the Junior Elite Camp this summer, but I think he may be better suited to be an outside linebacker than quarterback at the next level. I'm not expecting him to receive an offer on Sunday, but he'll have the opportunity to earn one at camp. He already has offers from Northern Illinois and South Dakota State.
Minnetonka defensive back Nehemiah Montague (Hudl)
  • TGR quote: "First all the coaches and recruits gathered in the recruiting room and we had some time to introduce ourselves and get accustomed to the environment. I talked to players I haven't seen since the season and also made first impressions with the coaches. Then we split into groups based on area. I was in the Minnesota group and which was lead by Coach Dom Barber. As we toured TCF Bank Stadium, they had stops that were focused on either academics, student-athlete development, or strength and conditioning. Giving a run down about how Minnesota separates itself from other Big Ten Schools and other programs. Then all the groups combined and gathered in the DQ Club room and that's when we had the pleasure of listening to Coach Fleck speak for about one hour. I learned in-depth about R.T.B also F.A.M.I.L.Y and H.Y.P.R.R. We learned what it meant to be elite and what that takes. Also learning about GFL (Gopher for Life) using the resources from the U of M to develop qualities to help you in your future after the game of football ends. We learned about the coaches backgrounds as they all were on stage with Coach Fleck. After the presentation we split up into position groups with our position coaches and talked about the recruiting process inside the locker room. We then threw on the jerseys took photos went to the field and watched a video on the big screen. From there we were welcomed to stay and eat or depart."
  • Very impressive at the Junior Elite Camp over the summer but has yet to pick up any offers. I'm not expecting him to get an offer but he'll have his opportunity to camp for one.
Camdenton (Mo.) tackle Grant Norton
  • TGR quote: "Junior day went great! Talked to all the coaches, got to go view the locker room and the coaches offices and go out on the field with jerseys. There were about 45 prospects there! Talked to Coach Warinner the whole time! But they just said they have to go over everything and get back to us sometime this week or next week. But it was a awesome day with Coach Fleck, and he is an awesome energetic man, That I would love to be around."
  • Tweet: "This is Culture #eLITe18."
West Des Moines Dowling guard Zach Ross
  • Tweet: "Thank you to Coach Fleck and his staff for an ELITE day! @GopherFootball @Coach_Fleck @johnschmidt28 @4Warinner"
  • TGR quote: "It's was great. We toured the football stadium locker room and listened to the coaches talk. Then we tried on jerseys and went onto the field."
  • Holds an offer from Iowa State
Robbinsdale Cooper wide receivers Phoenix Sproles
  • TGR quote: "It was very informational and very productive! Coach Fleck has tons of energy! We toured the locker room and some of the football facilities."
  • Tweet: "B1G thank you to the Gopher coaching staff today! It was an Elite junior day! @CoachMGSimon @CoachMo15"
  • Sproles holds offers from South Dakota and South Dakota State and I think is one of the better players in the state. He'll of course have the opportunity to camp for one.
Eden Prairie cornerback Benjamin Sapp III
  • TGR quote: "The visit went great. I met with Coach Fleck with my family and his wife, Mrs. Fleck. I met one of the top kids in the state, Trey Lance. I met my Ski-U-Mah brother Jay Mayfield."
  • Tweet: "Good day At the Crib #SkiUMah #F.A.M.I.L.Y @NemoMont "
  • Sapp is of course a Gopher commit.
West Des Moines running back John Schmidt
  • TGR quote: "It went really well. We got to see the locker room, the field from the press box, heard from the strength coach, academic counselor, Coach Fleck, and toured TCF Bank Stadium."
  • Tweet: "@Coach_Fleck @UMcoachburns Thank you for the ELITE junior day. Glad to have been able to enjoy it with my new teammate @bigzross11 #eLITe18"
  • No offers yet, transferred to West Des Moines from Sartell.
St. Cloud Tech wide receiver Brevyn Spann-Ford (Hudl)
  • TGR quote: "It was great, got to tour the facilities and listen and talk to coaches. They have a great new staff! Got to speak with Coach Fleck and also went to the basketball game after."
  • Spann-Ford holds an offer from Iowa State so he's certainly one of the best players in the state. He's also a big Gopher fan.
Northville (Mich.) safety Dwayne Thompson
  • TGR quote: "It was great. We toured some of the facilities. We got to stay in the locker room for a while and went out into the stadium. I got to talk with Coach Mo and the majority of the staff. I really love the energy Coach Fleck and the rest of the staff have...My talk with Coach Mo was good. We talked about recruiting and playmaking DBs. We exchanged numbers so we can talk further about my relationship with the University of Minnesota. I can definitely see myself playing there and playing for Coach Fleck...Minnesota is one of my favorites, in my top three with Michigan State and Penn State."
  • Tweet: "Thank you Minnesota for having me today, enjoyed an ELITE visit today! #RTB"
  • Holds an offer from Columbia. He's coming back this summer to camp.
Mishawaka (Ind.) Penn tight end Anthony Torres (Hudl)
  • TGR quote: "The visit went well! I saw most of the stadium and really just heard about what Minnesota is about academically and athletically. Coach Fleck had me come back and talk to him while I was there as well."
  • Torres holds an offer from Indiana.
Wisconsin Rapids (Wis.) Lincoln wide receiver Isaiah Westfall
  • TGR quote: "The visit was great! Very impressed with Minnesota and what they have to offer to the student-athletes. Coach Fleck talked to us and everything he said made you just think. The things he said had so much power and feeling behind them. Made me want to get up and put my gear on and get out on the field, and not only play the best game of my life but be the best person I could truly be. Truly inspirational."
  • Tweet: "Great day @GopherFootball Junior Day with my parents and my boy @HenryGeil6 #SkiUMah"
  • No offers yet
Lincoln (Neb.) Southeast defensive tackle Bryson Williams
  • TGR quote: "It went great! We saw all the facilities and got to talk to all of the coaches. We all got to go on the field and meet with out our position coach. The head coach talked to us for about 45 minutes which was probably the best part."
  • Tweet: "Had An Amazing Day At The University Of Minnesota #RTB #Elite18 #Gophers"
Kansas City Ruskin running back Shakespeare Williams
  • TGR quote: "It went good. I really loved it down there! We talked to our position coaches and toured the football stadium campus . Coach Fleck talked to us and made us feel welcome. We also got to see how the new facilities would look like when they are done."
  • Tweet: "Minnesota Visit #Elite18 #RTB @GopherFootball"
  • No offers yet
---

Other visitors that I haven't heard back from and didn't tweet...
I think there's a chance several of the Michigan players other than Mayfield in the two bulletpoints above didn't end up making the trip.

---

Three-star Chicago athlete Jayshon Jackson wasn't able to make it yesterday because he was playing in a 7v7 tournament, but he's on campus today. He holds offers from much of the MAC and I think was offered by Fleck at Western Michigan.

Carol Stream (Ill.) Glenbard North safety Greg Newsome (Hudl) didn't end up making it but says he'll visit at some point. He doesn't have a specific date set. Newsome holds offers from Arkansas, Boston College, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Northwestern, Syracuse, and Vanderbilt. Minnesota's offered and Fleck offered at Western Michigan too.

Two-star Detroit tackle Carlos Vettorello (Hudl) was originally planning to attend but wasn't able to make it, as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News