ADVERTISEMENT

My post to the pro-Claeys people...

stroke the post

Feb 3, 2004
Let me start this thread off saying I have been a doubter. I predicted 6 total wins in the prediction thread. I was wrong. We are at 8 already with 2 games left. We recruited a great class last year and this year, despite not having a long term contract, we have some good recruits lined up (I don't know if Gopher fans understand how good it is to get a guy from the Cibolo Steele program).

I don't want to be a doubter but I need help as I am 95% sure the 4 year contract is ready to be given to Claeys. So help me ease my concerns. Here they are...

Why is Claeys so non-interactive with his players during the game? Is it like this all the time. I hate asking, but maybe a player's dad can help me here. I was lucky that I had a coach in my playing days that got so involved. He was like my dad and during the games, he was right there with us and it helped.

Can this staff recruit and DEVELOP an above average QB ?

Is it really because he is a new HC, or is Claeys really that bad at key time management decisions ? Not just the play calls or timeouts, but even getting in the huddle and telling his guys stay in bounds to make sure the clock bleeds, etc.

The athletic village is HUGE for recruiting. When Claeys goes into the house of a southern inner city kid, can he get them here ? Does he have that "this is a guy I want to play for?" appeal ?

Does he get in the faces of his assistants the way Saban, Harbaugh, or Meyer do when they are not happy with that part of the team they are in charge of? Does he make assistants around him better by pushing them?

We have beat some bad teams this year. Can he actually take a team of less talented players and out coach the opposition to get us in the real win column not the "moral victory" column against the Iowa's, PSU's, etc. Last time I checked, almost wins don't help us get to the Rose Bowl.

What am I missing ? What makes you feel he is the guy that can get us to that "1 spot above where Mason had us" mark?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News