New Pitino Blog "Noise"

Connor Stevens

Jun 1, 2015
Link: Noise
PITINO BLOG: "NOISE"
12769434.jpeg

Aug. 14, 2017

Good Morning Gopher fans,

What a difference a year makes. This summer had a totally different feel than last year for so many obvious reasons. There certainly is a much better perception of our program going into this season. Getting our guys in the right mindset will no doubt be the biggest obstacle for our coaching staff. Handling success can often times be harder than dealing with defeat. Two years ago we handled failure the right way. How we handle success is the next great challenge.

As strange as it sounds, last year’s team was very easy to coach from a mental standpoint. My biggest obstacle was keeping them confident. We had no choice but to band together. Most polls picked us 13th out of 14 in the Big Ten. Many questioned my future here as the head coach. We had to constantly answer questions about what was wrong with our program. Sure, it was tough at times but I tried not to take it personally. All these things come with the territory in this profession. Especially when you had the season we had.

I'm often asked, what was the reason we went from eight wins to 24? Was there something we specifically did? Not really. We just kept believing. Kept working. If there were improvements or changes that had to be made we made them. My constant message to them was that the noise was irrelevant. It wasn't that I necessarily told them to ignore it because that's very hard and unrealistic in today's world. Just accept it for what it is and move on. It's just noise. Don't get offended when people you hoped would be supportive say or write critical things. We were getting what we deserved. The only way to make it stop was to take ownership. We believed that the narrative would change, but we just had to stay the course. We wanted everyone to RESPECT us. That was the word we put in our locker room and on our practice wall. Every possession was an opportunity to put one more fan back in the seats of Williams Arena. Winning and playing the right way was the only option. We had no choice but to put egos aside and play for the team. Williams Arena was starting to fill up again. The buzz was back. Our guys earned it the old fashioned way.

Years ago, Pat Riley wrote in his book "The Winner Within" how, in one of his first seasons with the Lakers, his guys went through as he called it, "the innocent climb." They had a young, talented team but uncertain expectations at the time. In describing the climb, Riley wrote, "being a part of success is more important than being personally indispensable. The team’s energy and enthusiasm take on a life of their own." Our team last year went through exactly that. All we had was each other at the beginning and that bond that was formed was extremely powerful. There were no preseason accolades or rankings. Only way to be recognized was to win.

One last story about last season then I will close that chapter and move on. I remember piling into a way too small, cramped, outdated locker room that we created in the Bierman Athletic Building when I first got here. Every time I walked into that locker room I chuckled. Most teams would have complained. These guys didn't. We were all watching the end of the Maryland/ Michigan State game before we got on the bus to the airport. If Maryland won we would secure a double bye in the Big Ten Tournament – something that hadn't ever been done here before. As Maryland’s Melo Trimble hit the game winner at the buzzer I saw the joy on the faces of our players and coaching staff. Everybody was hugging and high fiving each other. I initially didn't want our sports information director, Dan Reisig, to post it on social media because our facilities were a bit embarrassing to be honest. I also didn't want it to be perceived that we were satisfied. In the end I didn't care because it was such a good moment that was captured. That small, cramped locker room was symbolic of our team last season. Not a lot of glitz or glamour to that group. They were more substance than style. There was no complaining about little materialistic things. These guys just wanted to play. It was our version of Pat Riley's "innocent climb." Of course it ended too soon in the NCAA tournament. I won't use injuries as an excuse. At the end of the day, we just weren't good enough that evening. Middle Tennessee State was the better team that day. Hopefully we will get that opportunity again this season and do a better job.

This year's team will be totally different. Everyone will say we will be good because we have almost everyone back. If everyone, including myself, doesn't come back better than before we won't get to where we want to go. Enthusiasm is at an all-time high. Season ticket renewals are the highest they have ever been on record. We are getting it done in the classroom and in the community. We currently have a top-10 recruiting class in 2018 according to several scouting services. The positivity around the program has really helped recruiting. In January we will move into a brand new 166 million dollar Athletes Village that will certainly provide one of the best student-athlete experiences in the country. We will likely be a top-25 in most preseason rankings. People will talk to me again in public! Just kidding, sort of.

This leads me to our next greatest obstacle. "The disease of me," as Pat Riley puts it in his book. Yes, I will be printing out a few chapters from this book and reading it to our team when they return. Will we continue to be the humble, low maintenance, selfless team that we were last season or will human nature set in and we focus on ourselves over the team? Will we start worrying about points, playing time and touches? "It requires a strong constitution to withstand repeated attacks of prosperity," says J.L. Basford. I love that quote. We have to be aware that although people will pick us a top-20 team doesn't mean that's what we are. We want to be a top-20 program in every aspect. That means handling positive or negative noise the right way. Accept it for what it is and move on. Get better every day. We are entitled to nothing. Stay humble and hungry. In a weird way, part of me wishes we were keeping that old, tiny locker room in Bierman to operate out of on a daily basis. To keep us all grounded and level headed. But that won't work!

The phrase I will use often with our guys going into the season will be "up the ante." Let's not be afraid to take the next step. If you are ten percent body fat, get to seven. If you shot 62 percent from the free throw line, get up to 70. If you averaged eight rebounds, go get 12 this season. You get the point. The most important thing, more than anything else, is we don't lose that starving mentality we had in the past. Don't let the "disease of me" creep into the locker room.

I can't wait for the season and the challenges that lie ahead. The expectations will be the highest they have been in many years. They should be! There is no shying away from them. There will be ups and downs. Our schedule is extremely challenging. Adversity will hit. The good teams weather the storm and keep moving forward. I can't wait to get started. Time to up the ante and go all in. How will we handle high expectations? We will have to block out the noise like we have done in the past. It's the only way.

Go Gophers,

Richard Pitino

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News