ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting Recruiting Rouser Quick notes (12/19)

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Feb 16, 2022
Would've loved to turn this into a story but as you can imagine, I've been super busy the last few days so let's just do this in quick note form.

- Wow, have the Gophers flipped the table when it comes to their wide receiver room. Entering the postseason/offseason that was a wide receiver room that really didn't strike fear in anyone and while it's still not an overpowering room, it's a room that now has quite a bit of high upside talent. I believe Crooms and Spencer will step in and be immediate impact players Chris Autman-Bell and Brevyn Spann-Ford ford next season, there's not many Big Ten programs that I think could match those four especially in the Big Ten West. Flipping McWilliams and Lanier are also fantastic additions - both may never be true "stars" at the collegiate level but I think both could be high production players as long as the quarterback play is solid.

- The addition of Jack Henderson is another big one of course, I expect him to be the starting safety next to Tyler Nubin in the spring. Henderson may not be an "elite" safety at the FBS level like he was at the FCS level but I think he'll be a strong addition for the Gophers which at worse strengthens the depth at the position.

- I'll repeat again, Phillip Daniels will announce a commitment on Wednesday when he signs...my FutureCast is currently set for the Gophers and I still feel strongly about that pick.

- I expect as of right now for everyone except Zaquan Bryan who previously informed TGR that he wouldn't be signing to sign on Wednesday. Additionally, I don't think there was ever really a true chance the Gophers would lose the commitment of Darius Taylor. Michigan wanted him as a DB and offered way too late and Burns leaving for Kent State was never going to be a huge impact, yes losing the position coach you committed to can change recruitments at times but I believe the Gophers were pretty up front with that anyways.

- I will never say never but I think the Gophers are likely done at wide receiver now with their recent run. Jaelen Smith remains uncommitted but could make a decision in the upcoming days...

- With Zach Durfee headed elsewhere, the Gophers will need to find anew top target on the defensive line. I know a lot of people liked what Durfee could bring to the table but I'm not so sure he was going to be that big of an upgrade over what the Gophers currently have. The jump from Sioux Falls to the Big Ten is quite a big one. Gophers would've loved to have him, he would've been a strong addition but in my respectful opinion, not the biggest loss.- I'm hearing good things on UNC transfer Chris Collins on the DL front.

-I'll have more notes if I learn anything as the day goes on, I'll answer any questions as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News