ADVERTISEMENT

Rundown of 2018 basketball recruiting targets

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
Locals
  • Jarvis Thomas -- Shocking if not a Gopher.
  • Gabe Kalscheur -- Very strongly believe that Minnesota leads at the moment. He recently told me that he may make a decision after Peach Jam if he doesn't pick up more interest from Peach Jam. Now, he doesn't really have anything to lose by waiting another month, so he may drag things out but we'll see. I believe he will check out other schools if he gets the kind of high-major interest that he's hoping to get. Right now, he's hearing the most from Pitt (their Director of Basketball Operations, though) and Colorado, who hasn't offered.
Adidas
  • Iowa Barnstormers: AJ Green -- Green's father is an assistant at Northern Iowa so Green grew up around the program and everyone's saying they're going to get him. Iowa State has a chance. Minnesota worked hard early on and is probably No. 3, with Clemson or Nebraska at No. 4. Regardless, everything points towards UNI. Him visiting Minnesota again could change things but he just told us that he doesn't have any visits planned.
  • Team Loaded Virginia: Jaelin Llewellyn -- This is a new offer. Too early to tell how competitive Minnesota will be but there's a lot of competition for Jaelin. He plans on taking the normal route (visits in August and September, decision sometime in the fall).
  • Indiana Pros/Team Harris: Eric Hunter -- Eric I've heard favors Purdue, with Butler probably next. From who I've talked to, it sounds like those in the area think he'd like to stay near home and both Butler and Purdue have worked very hard, and consider themselves favorites. Hunter enjoyed his visit here and will likely take an official visit, so Minnesota remains competitive for him.
  • Castle Athletics/Castle NYC: Souleymane Koureissi: Koureissi is a very long wing that Minnesota offered recently. He's a Kimani recruit and tells TGR that the Gophers have been in very frequent contact.
Under Armour
  • We-R1: Tyrese Martin -- Martin was offered in the spring and still hears from Minnesota but is not a top priority recruit. He's a backup plan, and right now Minnesota is his only high-major offer.
  • Team Charlotte: Jaylen Sims -- Like Martin, Minnesota is Sims' only high-major offer and has been hearing off and on from the Gophers. He's a backup plan at the moment. I don't think either Martin or Sims are necessarily the backup plans, though. If they need to fill the fourth spot, I think Minnesota may go in another direction.
  • Louisiana Elite: Josh LeBlanc -- LeBlanc has sometimes listed Minnesota and sometimes hasn't to me and others. Regardless, LSU is definitely thought of as the favorite for him with Texas A&M and Georgetown as other contenders. Minnesota could work its way into contention by getting an official visit.
Nike
  • PSA Cardinals: Jake Forrester -- Forrester has not been hearing much from Minnesota recently. That makes sense because there's only one power forward spot and that's about to be taken.
  • Team Melo: Brendan Adams -- Adams is hearing from Kimani Young consistently. Right now, Minnesota is one of two high-major options for him, so the Gophers will almost certainly be able to get an official visit from him. He's a shooter like Gabe Kalscheur so the question is do they want him if they also get Gabe? I'm not sure.
  • MEBO Express: Jared Butler -- Butler has visited Alabama, Texas, and Houston. Minnesota was a little later to offer but there's still time for an official visit. Right now I think Alabama and Texas lead, but I need to ask around more about him.
  • Expressions Elite: Marcus Zegarowski -- Minnesota has a lot of competition for Zegarowski, who I think is going to be a fantastic college player. Kimani Young texts him a lot. Many high-majors at about Minnesota's level want him, so we'll have to wait and see if Minnesota will get a visit. I imagine that will be announced in August.
  • Boo Williams: Keyontae Johnson -- Johnson listed Minnesota to TGR as one of the schools recruiting him the hardest, but I have my reservations that he's a good fit and actually wanted by Minnesota. I may be wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if he delays his recruitment until the spring.
  • City Rocks: Jeenathan Williams -- Williams keeping this pretty close to his chest but from the national and New York writers I've talked to, they don't think Minnesota is a major player. That being said, he hasn't really narrowed things down yet and Minnesota could still get an official.
Other
  • TMP: Aaron Nesmith -- Nesmith is an Ed Conroy recruit that has blown up this month. No leaders or favorites at the moment, and I imagine he'll start to narrow things down in the early fall.
Not offered yet
  • MN Comets: Joseph Hedstrom -- Hedstrom competes on the NY2LA circuit with Brevyn Spann-Ford and the MN Comets. Ben Johnson and Richard Pitino both watched him last week, and he's recently visited Minnesota and Creighton. He's been excellent for the Comets and has nice touch around the basket.
  • Quad Cities Elite: DJ Carton is a point guard from Bettendorf, Iowa that has been hearing from the Gophers a few times a week.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if a couple more names surface this week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News