ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room, 2012 Edition #1

Matt OConnell

Feb 22, 2005
Blue Earth offensive tackle Jonah Pirsig is up to four offers, including Minnesota and Ohio State. He will likely be on campus in a few weeks for Jerry Kill’s first junior day. “I am really happy with how recruiting is going right now and the offers I am receiving. I have talked with Coach Poore and Coach Limegrover so far from Minnesota and I like them. I will be up for their junior day in a few weeks and I am looking forward to meeting all of the coaches.”

Blue Earth has another potential prospect in lineman Sam Lee, Pirsig’s best friend. He looks to be a fixture on the junior day circuit. “I have been to Iowa for their elite junior day and I will be going up to Minnesota for theirs too. I have not heard too much from the coaches yet, but my coach says they really like my film and can’t wait to meet me at junior day.

The Gopher staff has also offered Hopkins receiver Andre McDonald. “I am very interested in Minnesota as well as Iowa who has also offered. The Minnesota coaches say that they love what I do once I get the ball in my hands. They think I can be a big play maker for them.”

The third and final (for now) Minnesotan with an offer is quarterback Philip Nelson of Mankato West. According to his father Pat they are very excited about the opportunity the Gophers have presented them. “As a family we are very happy that Philip has an offer from Minnesota. He has been blessed to be getting some very good attention from a number of good schools. Minnesota was the first to offer him and that is exciting. We will be up for the junior day and look forward to meeting the entire staff and getting to know them better.”

Maybe the most talented player in the class of 2012 is Cretin-Derham Hall defensive tackle Jonathan Harden. “I have not heard too much from Minnesota or really any other schools yet, but my coach says that the Gophers are interested and that they told him I will be invited to their junior day. I like Minnesota, it is one of the schools I would really love to get an offer from.”

Harden’s teammate Kendrik Brewster is also looking forward to hearing more from the U. “Recruiting is going pretty well, I am getting a lot of mail and interest from a lot of schools. My coach told me that my invite to the U junior day is in the mail. I am excited to get that and get to know the coaches there better.”

Brewster is not the only talented running back from Minnesota this season. Coon Rapids Antonio Ford might be the best running back prospect in the state. “Michigan State and Minnesota seem to be the most interested in me right now, but Missouri is also sending me a lot of information. My coach said that one of the Minnesota coaches was by the school a few weeks ago and was very interested in me after seeing my film. I have not talked to them in person, but I am excited about what they are doing at the U.”

There could be a trifecta of D-1 running backs in Minnesota in the class of 2012. Eden Prairie’s Andrew Larson was receiving some serious attention from Minnesota prior to the coaching change and it will likely increase as the Gophers coaches jump back into recruiting for next season. “Coach Hammock seemed very interested in me before the coaching change, but I have not heard much since Coach Kill came on board. I am hoping that now that the class of 2011 is signed they will pick back up and show me as much interest as some of the other schools.”

Minnetonka produced the top defensive back in the state in 2011 and might have an even better one for 2012 in corner Charles Webb. “I went down to the U and had a one on one with the defensive coordinator and the head coach. They said that I would have an offer, but they usually don’t give them without seeing an ACT score, I am going to do that ASAP. Based on my visit I like both the coaches and the school a lot! Both of the coaches are really good guys.”

Hopkins corner Tavaughn Blair is also a solid defensive back who is receiving a lot of early attention. “I was at the Iowa elite junior day a few weeks ago and had a good visit. My coach told me that Minnesota wants me to visit them soon for a junior day. I would really like to get to know the coaches at Minnesota and see what they are all about.”

Edina defensive back Nick Rallis is the only player committed to Minnesota so far for the class of 2012, but is still waiting for his first opportunity to meet the new coaches. “Recruiting is good, I am hearing from a lot of schools. I have not had a chance to meet with Coach Kill yet, but I am looking forward to that soon. From what I hear my brother is very happy with the new staff.”

Detroit Lakes quarterback Joe Mollberg has yet to receive an offer from the Gophers, but they are keeping a close eye on him. “Coach Zebrowski came and watched basketball game and has been talking to my coach. They seem like they are pretty interested, but they have not offered yet. If I don’t get an offer by this summer I will just have to go down to camp and give them a better look at my talent. I think I will have a better idea after junior day where I stand with them.”

One big name defensive tackle in-state is Karmichael Dunbar, son of Vikings DL coach Karl Dunbar. Although rumored to be an LSU lean should they offer, Dunbar had some good things to say about Minnesota as well. "I love every second of being in Minnesota. The people are so nice and the football is really good up here. I can play football in the snow up here, you know if I went down to Louisiana I couldn't do stuff like that." Dunbar also indicated that he's planning to get to the U for a camp at some point.

The Gopher coaches have also been making some out of state inroads for the class of 2012 while they were working on 2011. Receiver Jordan Westerkamp of Lombard (IL) Montini is already pushing double digit offers and the Gophers look to be in the early mix for his services. “I have had a chance to talk with Coach Zebrowski and he and I hit it off. I really like what he has to say about Minnesota and how they will use their receivers. I am planning on making it down to Minnesota for a junior day later in February.”

Another Chicagoland hot prospect is lineman Dan Voltz, who has a baker’s dozen in offers. He is excited about the way the Minnesota program is headed under Jerry Kill. “Minnesota is a very exciting program with the addition of the new coaching staff. They really seem to be headed in the right direction. I have spoken with Coach Zebrowski and Coach Limegrover over the phone a few times. My spring is getting busy with track season starting so I probably won't be able to make it up for the junior day, but it is a school I want to visit.”

Wisconsin has not been overly kind to Minnesota when it comes to landing top prospects historically, but the current staff is working to change that with linebacker Vince Biegel. “I was very excited to get the offer from Minnesota. I really like the coached that I have talked to and what they plan to do at Minnesota. I don’t have any firm plans yet, but I would like to visit Minnesota for a junior day if the schedule works out.”

Quarterback Bennie Coney is likely to be one of the top quarterbacks out of Florida in 2012 and the Gophers offered him early. The dual threat is open to everyone at this point, including the Gophers. “I am still really open and looking at all of my options. I talked to a few of the coaches from there and I liked them. Minnesota is a school that I will be looking to find out more about.”

Defensive end Noah Spence of Harrisburg, PA has an offer list that includes pretty much every school in the country already and the Gophers are working hard to gain his attention. “I have not talked to the coaches at Minnesota too much yet, but I do get a lot of mail from them. My coach tells me that they talk to him a lot and they are showing as much interest in me as any school. I might have to look closely at them.”

Keep an eye on GI.com in the coming weeks for more in-depth interviews with all of these players and many more potential member of the class of 2012.
This post was edited on 2/4 7:28 AM by Matt OConnell

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News