ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room: August 26

zach johnson

Jan 17, 2003
• It appears that Hopkins wide receiver Andre McDonald has a plan for finalizing his college decision and it is nearing its conclusion. "I am going to take official visits to Vanderbilt (September 9th) and Ohio State (either September 23rd or 30th) and then hope to make a final decision a week or two following my Ohio State trip," McDonald said.

Although the two upcoming visits will be key to McDonald's decision he already has an early leader. "Iowa is my leader," he admitted. "I just feel they have more to offer me. They are on top of things academically, they really focus on making sure their players leave school with a degree," he said. "I am still open and feel that my final two visits will be key in my decision making process."

Is Minnesota still on the radar? "Yes, for sure. Minnesota is still on my mind because of the coaching staff," he said. "I love those guys down there and they are all great guys."

• One instate prospect that has a lot at stake in the next few weeks is Minnetonka cornerback Charles Webb. "There is nothing knew going on right now with recruiting as most of my top schools are just waiting on my test score," Webb told GI.com. "I am taking the test in early September and I am actually not too nervous about it. I have been studying for it this summer and feel prepared. I am confident that I will get a good score right away and have it done with."

There has been speculation that Webb is a Gopher lock if he earns a qualifying test score and a Minnesota offer follows. "I don't know if that is accurate or not," Webb admitted. "I have actually been talking to my mom and dad about that exact same scenario. My mom really likes Minnesota and they are in my top three along with Michigan State and Iowa. However, I like Iowa the most to be honest with you. I just really like the coaches down there and respect how honesty they have been with me throughout the recruiting process."

Webb told GI.com that he currently does not have any official visits lined up but he is going to start reaching out to schools this week to see if any of his top schools are interested in lining one up.

• Another top prospect in the state of Minnesota that has the attention of Gopher fans is Osseo tight end Will Johnson. The three-star Johnson also has the attention from a lot of high end college football programs. "Lately I have just been worried about the start of my senior season, but lately I have been in contact with Ohio State, Wisconsin and West Virginia," Johnson said. "I also still talk a lot with the schools that have offered, like Ole Miss, Auburn, Minnesota and Iowa."

Johnson would like to commit soon, but admits he wants to take his time. "I would honestly love to be able to commit right now and be able to tell people where I am going to go to college," he said. "However, I would also like to wait a little bit longer in order to see what Ohio State and Wisconsin end up doing and if anyone else comes into the picture."

GI.com asked Johnson if Minnesota was still a realistic option. "Yes," Johnson said. "Jerry Kill is a great coach and I love living in Minnesota and I love the idea of staying here for college. I think they run a great offense for a tight end and it would be just fine with me to stay home. I just have to wait and see if it is the best fit."

What kind of fit are you looking for? Is it important to you to stay close to home, go back down south or play for a helmet school. "I think the best fit for me will come down to early playing time and an offense that fits my game," he said. "I also value playing for a staff that I feel comfortable with."

Johnson has plenty of official visit offers but wants to be selective. "I have not confirmed any visits as of yet," he told GI.com. "I have been asked by a lot of schools to get something set up but I want to narrow down my list before I start planning my visits. I only get five visits and I don't want to waste any."

• I was not able to get in contact with Eden Prairie offensive lineman Nick Davidson but I would be completely shocked if Davidson had serious interest in considering playing for the University of Minnesota. Not a shot at all to Jerry Kill, his staff or the University of Minnesota but, as you all already know, Davidson does not have a connection to Golden Gopher athletics and I have changed putters nearly a dozen times since his family moved to Eden Prairie. I look for Davidson to either head back down to the North Carolina area or commit to Ohio State.

• GI.com friend Charley Walters reported earlier this week that Cretin-Derham Hall defensive tackle Jonathan Harden had committed to Western Michigan. "Yes, I committed to Western Michigan," Harden confirmed to GI.com. "It feels great and I really am looking forward to playing for the staff."

GI.com asked Harden if he was tempted to hold out for a Big Ten or BCS offer. "It was a tough decision, but the last couple of months it just seemed like my height was just going to get in the way. All the bigger schools just didn't think I was tall enough to play in the Big Ten or other major colleges," he said. "Western just told me they weren't worried and they just like me as a ball player."

If a BCS offer is presented later Harden will readdress the situation. "I am not really sure what I would do if Minnesota or another Big Ten school were to offer," he admitted. "I just want to focus on my senior season right now and put recruiting to the side. If more offers come I would just at each new offer, talk to my family and go from there. I am happy with Western Michigan and focused on playing for the Broncos."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News