ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room: Happy Thanksgiving

zach johnson

Jan 17, 2003
Minnesota still in the running for Tremane?
Royal Palm Beach (Fla.) athlete Tremane McCullough was thought to have been picking up steam in his recruitment with Minnesota.

Is that still the case? "Minnesota has not been in contact with me since I spoke to you last a few weeks ago. I have a lot of interest in Minnesota still though."

Hills close to setting a date?
Boutee (La.) Hahnville cornerback Tyren Hills is currently a solid commitment to Minnesota and is very close to setting up a date to visit.

"I know that I'm going to visit in December. I'm just not quite sure of when,” Hills said. “Some schools such as Memphis and SE Louisiana are still talking to me, but I'm 100% committed to Minnesota."

U still pursuing Brown?
Bridgeton (N.J.) defensive tackle Christian Brown has been a hot commodity as of late.

Has Minnesota been in chase? "Minnesota hasn't talked to me since Coach Phelps came out to visit a few weeks ago,” Brown indicated. “I'd like to hear more from Minnesota and still haven't ruled them out yet."

Bermond still a target?
Poplarville (Miss.) Pearl River Community College linebacker Chris Bermond had talked to Minnesota about the possibility of an offer as a JUCO linebacker.

GI has an update on his recruitment. "Southern Mississippi and Ohio have been recruiting me real hard recently," Bermond told GI. "I have a couple of 1-AA offers, but no division one offers as of yet. I haven't spoken with Minnesota since their coach came down to speak with me during their bye week. So I have no idea what's going on there."

Minnesota losing Dinero?
Sunrise (Fla.) Piper cornerback Dinero Moss has been thought of as the more solid committment between he and Barrington.

That's not the case anymore, Moss updates GI on the latest on his recruitment. "Connecticut has been after me a lot lately, so I think I'm going to visit up there this weekend just to see what it's like up there.

Minnesota hunting Woods?
Bemidji (Minn.) wide receiver Carey Woods recently lit up Mankato West leaving many GI members to believe that Woods is worth an offer.

Woods gives an update on his recruitment. "Minnesota actually called me a couple of days ago," Woods told GI. "The coach talked to me a lot about walking on. I don't know about walking on though, I know my family doesn't have the money for me to do so at a place like Minnesota. North Dakota State is real close to offering, so I would most likely take that over walking on also. I want to go to a place where I feel like I'm wanted.

Williams taking other visits?
Lewisville (Texas) running back Rodrick Williams has been committed to Minnesota for quite a few months now.

Is Williams re-thinking his decision? "Iowa and Utah have offered me in the last month," Williams said. "I'm still very committed to Minnesota, but I'll take official visits to these two schools. I'll visit Iowa on December 9th and I haven't set up a date to Utah yet. Minnesota still calls weekly and I have a great relationship with the coaches. I'd say I'm about 90% committed to Minnesota."

Ekpe still solid to Minnesota?
Lewisville (Tex.) defensive tackle Scott Ekpe committed to Minnesota, back in June.

Is he holding firm to that committment? "I'm 110% committed to Minnesota," Ekpe told GI. "When I committed back in June, I told schools like Baylor and Houston to stop calling and they listened. I'm still speaking with the coaches weekly and can't wait to get back up to Minnesota. I'm working on my brother (Hendrick) to come up to Minnesota as well, but he loves the heat and hates the cold. I'm working on it though."

A Family Connection
One freshman that has surprised the Minnesota coaching staff this season is Max Shortell. The freshman quarterback has an older brother that is currently a sophomore at Butler Community College in Kansas. Neil Shortell is waiting for his season to wrap up before making any decisions.?

"Our coaches won't tell us who is looking at us until after our bowl game," Shortell explained. "I know I have received letters from Kentucky and Auburn. Troy and Arkansas were interested in the spring but I'm not sure whether or not they are anymore. Baylor needs a tight end/h-back so my coach sent them my film the other day."

The elder Shortell has interest in Minnesota but is unsure if the interest is mutual. "I would love to play with my brother at Minnesota. We have been playing together since we were in the second grade," Shortell said. "Max loves it up there and he told me that I would too."

Hayes Excited to Start
The future of the Minnesota offensive line looks promising. Isaac Hayes looks to add to that bright future when he arrives on campus.

"I'm definitely excited to get to the U of M and get to work," Hayes said. "I can't wait for Signing Day and to get my workout program."

Hayes attending the meeting with Coach Kill and the rest of the in-state commits about a month ago. "The meeting definitely reminded me why I am committed. Coach Kill talked about all of the good things that Minnesota had to offer," Hayes explained.

Hayes was being recruited as either an offensive or defensive lineman by the Minnesota coaching staff. The staff recently decided what the best fit for Hayes would be. "They are telling me center right now. It does not matter to me, I just want to play," Hayes said.

Ford Focusing on Title
One in-state prospect that has remained on the radar of the Golden Gopher coaching staff is Wayzata running back Antonio Ford. Ford has put recruiting on hold for a moment while he prepares for the class 5A state championship game against Eden Prarie.?

"This is the biggest game I am ever going to play in until I get to college," Ford said of the state championship on Friday. Ford's big season not only helped his team reach the state championship but also garnered him interest from Minnesota, Northern Illinois, and all of the directional Dakota schools.

Ford met with the coaches at Minnesota in the spring to discuss his future. Coach Kill and his staff encouraged Ford to keep working on his academics. Ford recently took the ACT for the second time and received his results in the past week. "I got the same score as last time," Ford said. "I am going to retake it again in December. I hope to have the results by sometime in mid January."

Kidd Gaining Interest
Crete-Monee is a hot spot for talent in the state of Illinois. One Crete-Monee prospect that has gained interest as of late is running back Dante Kidd.?

"I have had interest from Washington State, Boston College, Minnesota, Indiana, Duke, Purdue, Northern Illinois and a few others lately," Kidd stated. "I am still waiting for my first offer."

What does Kidd think of Minnesota? "I would love to play in the Big Ten. I sent Minnesota my tape a few weeks ago and now I am just waiting to hear back from the coaching staff," Kidd said. "I watched the Iowa game this season and was very impressed."

Kidd is one prospect that the staff could target as a preferred walk-on. What does the Crete-Monee senior think? "I would obviously prefer to receive a scholarship. I would definitely consider walking-on at Minnesota if I did not receive a scholarship offer."

Clax has something more important to do before visits
There has been speculation by some on this site that Jazzmar Clax could be a silent verbal to the Gophers.? If that is the case he is not letting on.? Currently he is still worried about the on the field part of football and not recruiting.

“I just talked to Maryland today and I am supposed call Coach Phelps from Minnesota this week to talk about a visit.? Right now I am not really worried about all that, my focus is being the captain of a two time state championship team.? I will visit Minnesota and Maryland, but I am not going to set them up until after we win another championship.”

Nothing set yet for Harbison
A few weeks ago Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek receiver Jamel Harbison told GI.com that he would be visiting Vanderbilt.? He is still looking at that possibility, but does not have a date set yet.

“Yes, I think I might still visit Vanderbilt.? If I do it will be in January some time.? I am still committed to Minnesota and I am very excited about going there.? I am not talking to any other schools or looking anywhere else.? If I take another trip it will only be to Vanderbilt.”

Hino and Nicholson still look to be here soon
Both Brian Nicholson and their Miami Central teammates are still working their way towards a Florida State championship, but they are also still looking towards their futures.

“I am still not sure when I am going to be at Minnesota for my visit, my focus is on a championship.? I will head up for my visit after we win,” Nicholson said. ?“Everything is on track for me to start school in January and I am really excited to get going.? I am hearing from some other big schools, but Minnesota is where I am going to be.”

“I am all set to start school in January,” Hinojosa told GI.? “I can’t wait, but before that I have some business to take care of on the field.”

Alabama athlete likes what he sees from Gophers
This week the Gophers offered two players from Prattville, Alabama.? Athlete Jalen Whitlow still does not know too much about the Gopher program, but he does like what he has seen so far.

“Minnesota is looking at me as a receiver or a quarterback.? I really have not talked to them too much, but I do like their style of offense and think it would be a good fit for me.? I am not sure yet if I will take a visit there, but I will see.? I am starting to get a lot of interest from schools like Auburn, Florida State, Southern Miss, FIU, and Middle Tennessee.? I have to look at everything and then make a decision.”

Another Bama player has the Gophers attention
Minnesota also offered De’ante Lawrence of Prattville who could play all over the field.

“Yes, Minnesota just offered me today,” Lawrence told GI on Tuesday.? “I don’t know exactly where Minnesota is looking at me to play, but a lot of schools like me at safety and some like me at running back.? I don’t know about a visit yet, but I will talk go the coaches and find out what they want to do.”

The Duke has a sit down with Kill
Last week it was reported in the War Room that Blaine athlete Duke Anyanwu could find out in the near future if he has a Gopher offer.? In the last week he met with Jerry Kill and talked specifically about where Minnesota might use Duke if he stays home to play.

“I had a sit down with Coach Kill on Thursday and he had a really good talk.? We talked a lot about me being an H-back for them.? I like that idea because I love to catch the ball as a receiver and I might get to carry the ball.? That and I can do some blocking.? I am hoping to get some good news from Minnesota in the next week or two.? I am really hoping that I get an offer from them.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News