ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room: January 12

zach johnson

Jan 17, 2003
Big Ten, SEC or Pac-12 for McDonald
Gopher fans will be happy to hear that if Hopkins wide receiver Andre McDonald decides not to stay home and play for the Gophers, he won't be returning to haunt them on the field.

"I am down to Minnesota, UCLA and Vanderbilt and they are all even," McDonald told GI.com. "Illinois was recruiting me for a long time and I just never had any real interest in going there. I also know that Iowa just isn't the place for me."

"I am heading down to the U tomorrow at 4:00 and I plan to spend the entire weekend down there," he said. "The only other trip I will make is to UCLA. I am flying out on Saturday the 21st and staying until Monday the 23rd due to my basketball schedule."

Harbison sticking with U?
GI.com asked Charlotte Mallard Creek wide receiver Jamel Harbison if he had solidified his commitment to Minnesota or if the plan was to take visits to UNC and Vanderbilt.

"Solid," Harbison responded. "I will not be taking the other visits...No sir. I just don't see the point in making those visits when I have my mind and heart set on the U."

Gillum all set at Minnesota
Perkinston (Miss.) Gulf Coast running back James Gillum is ready to move to Minnesota and talks to GI about the move.

"I'm just moving into today," Gillum said. "I just got here to Minnesota and I'll be rooming with Jeremy Baltazar and I'm very excited. I'm looking forward to starting school and getting ready for a good spring ball. I'm going to be doing as much as I can to help this team so we can come together as a team. I'd like to say to Gopher fans that I'm coming to work my tail off and my goal is to give them a season to remember. Expect the team to work hard everyday to reach that goal."

Stroud opening up his recruitment?
Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College linebacker Darrius Stroud has been rumored recently to be pursuing other options such as Minnesota. Stroud gives GI an update on his recruitment.

"I'm not going to Indiana as of right now," Stroud said. "The Indiana coaches still call me, but I'm not sure where I'm going for sure. I haven't talked to any other coaches, but people have been telling me that other schools have been trying to get a hold of me. We'll see what happens these next few weeks."

No New Offer
Jerrid Jeter-Gilmon is a new name to Golden Gopher fans. However, he has been hearing from the Minnesota coaching staff for quite some time. Jeter-Gilmon updates GI on his recruitment and latest with Minnesota.

"Texas State has me sold on their program. I am still open but right now Texas State is definitely my leader. Minnesota offered me during the summer when they came down and watched me at practice. The last time I heard from them was probably in November when they were at my school. The only other school I am considering is Utah right now."

Anyanwu Could Commit
Blaine athlete Duke Anyanwu will make his official visit to Minnesota this weekend. Anyanwu is good friends with Gopher commits Philip Nelson and Maxx Williams. Both of their names are listed on the Minnesota commitment list and Anyanwu is hoping he can add his to it soon.

"The coaches keep telling me not to worry that they will make me a Gopher. I am hoping that they offer me while I am on my visit. If they did offer, I would most likely give my verbal commitment to Minnesota on Monday. I would have to talk with my mom and football coach first before making a decision."

Anyanwu would become the eighth prospect from the state of Minnesota in the 2012 recruiting class.

No More DB's?
Minnesota fans were hoping that Jerry Kill and his staff would host a trio of Prattville (AL) athletes this weekend. Defensive back Derrick Moncrief will not be making an official visit to Minnesota this weekend.

"I decided that I won't be visiting Minnesota this weekend. I am still committed to Southern Miss but I am keeping my options open. I am still considering other schools like Arkansas and Kentucky. I am focusing on those schools right now."

With a large number of defensive backs already committed to the 2012 class, Moncrief may have been told there was no more room for anymore defensive backs (GI.com speculation).

Moritko to Visit
Andy Moritko is a name that keeps coming up every week in the War Room. This week is no different. Moritko's father played at the U of M in the early 1980's. The Totino-Grace senior will make an official visit this weekend to determine if he wants to follow in his fathers footsteps as a Golden Gopher.

"I have lined up an official visit for this weekend at Minnesota. I want to see everything up close to compare it to my other visits. I am still trying to determine if I am interested in the preferred walk-on offer from Minnesota. I will likely make a decision on where I want to play college football shortly after my visit."

Moritko could become the first known preferred walk-on of the 2012 class if he chooses to accept Coach Kill's offer.

Spearman Back in Play?
Lake Central High School product Ike Spearman recently decommitted from Ole Miss. Spearman has visited Minnesota on a couple separate occasions. Is Minnesota still an option for Spearman?

"Minnesota is an option for again. I know my father talked with Coach Phelps. Coach Phelps told him that he would be in contact with us shortly after the dead period. I am working to set up official visits right now. I am trying to confirm them and I'm not sure if I will make it up to Minnesota or not. I'm very familiar with the campus because I have been up there a couple times so it's not a big deal if we can't make it up."

Does Minnesota still have a spot open at linebacker for Spearman? Stay tuned to GI to find out.

Is Fleming Wavering?
Maurice Fleming Jr. committed to Iowa in June. Fleming was interested in Minnesota before committing to Iowa and wanted to visit. Are the rumors of Fleming looking elsewhere true?

"I am still a solid commitment to Iowa. I am not considering any other schools right now."

Fleming said when he first heard of the rumor that he was looking around at other schools his reaction was "wow."

Maye close to a decision?
Mobile (Ala.) Murphy athlete KJ Maye had Minnesota on top before he took his visit to Louisiana Tech last week, but where do the Gophers stand now?

"I still have Minnesota at the top of my list," Maye said. "I'm still going to decide after I take all my visits though. I'm visiting UAB on the 20th and Northern Illinois on the 27th and after that I should know where I'm going."

Pierce going on Minnesota visit?
Richfield (Minn.) Holy Angles defensive end Brett Pierce has been deciding between Minnesota and Wyoming for over a month now, what's next in store for Pierce? "Yeah I'm still deciding between those two," Pierce explains.

"I talked with Coach Claeys last week and he told me he'll be making an in-home soon and we'll set up a visit then. I think I'll be visiting on the 20th and then I'll make my choice after that."

Minnesota out of the picture?
Long Beach (Miss.) linebacker Joey O'Connor both confirmed to GI this week that Minnesota is out of the race for their services.

Whitlow visiting the Gophers?
Prattville (Miss.) athlete Jalen Whitlow was rumored to be potentially visiting Minnesota this weekend. Is that still the case?

"I'm not visiting Minnesota this weekend anymore," Whitlow said. "I'm going to visit Arkansas State this weekend. Minnesota is going to let me know Sunday about visiting on the 20th and I'd love to visit, so hopefully it works out."

Roullier learns fate
Burnsville (Minn.) offensive guard Chase Roullier was told recently what his offer would be from the Minnesota coaches and he tells GI what he knows.

"They want me as a preferred walk-on," Roullier told GI. "They want me to visit, but I'm not going to without a scholarship. I don't have much interest in going there when I can get a free education elsewhere."

Spencer visiting Minnesota?
Pensacola (Fla.) athlete Jalen Spencer didn't have much interest in Minnesota before Christmas. Has anything changed his mind?

"I talked with Coach Sawvel the other day," Spencer explains. "He said that he's coming down to talk with me about setting up a visit. I know for a fact I want to visit Minnesota, but I'll know more next week."

Covington on Minnesota's radar?
Seffner (Fla.) Armwood defensive end Allen Covington is a new name to appear on the GI radar and he tells GI about his contact with Minnesota.

"Coach Reeves came down and talked with me before Christmas break," Covington said. "He told me about all that Minnesota has to offer, but he hasn't talked to me since so I'm guessing they've moved on."

Isenberger with an offer?
Cottage Grove (Wis.) Monona Grove offensive linemen Joel Isenberger is another new name to pop up on the radar for GI and he gives the latest on his recruitment.

"Coach Z talked with me before break about being a preferred walk-on," Isenberger said. "I'm still thinking about it and I just might since I was accepted to Minnesota recently."

Lawrence still visiting?
Prattville (Miss.) athlete De'Ante Lawrence confirmed with GI that he will be visiting this weekend and talks to GI about what he's looking most forward to on his visit.

"I'm really looking forward to the Mall of America and to get the atmosphere of the city and campus," Lawrence said. "Minnesota is looking at me as an OLB and has been after me for a while. There is a really good chance I'll commit if the visit goes well."

Will new interest lead to U offer?
Eden Prairie linebacker Drake Michaelson is hoping that new interest will bring in an offer from the U.

"I am visiting Houston and Illinois on the 20th and 27th. I am excited to see those schools and see if they have offers for me," he said. "So far the new interest hasn't brought any new interest from the U, but I am really hoping that it will get them to offer me. I would still love to stay home and play for Minnesota."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News