ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room: January 19

zach johnson

Jan 17, 2003
Goff may visit
Bennett Goff has offers from Wyoming, Air Force, Navy, and others. Goff also has a preferred walk-on offer from Minnesota. Goff is currently looking over all of his options.

"I have not made a decision on where I will play next year yet. I could possibly be taking an official visit to Minnesota on the weekend of the 27th but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it up yet. I really like Minnesota as an option and it doesn't hurt their chances if I can't make it. I would love to check everything out though."

Stay tuned to GopherIllustrated to find out where Goff is headed.

Unofficial visitor on Friday
Germantown (WI) athlete Ben Holcomb will take an unofficial visit to Minnesota on Friday. Holcomb has a preferred walk-on offer from the Golden Gophers. Holcomb gives GopherIllustrated a preview of what he plans to do on his unofficial visit.

"We are going to take a tour of the campus and all of the facilities. We are also going to sit down with the coaches including Coach Kill to talk about walking-on. We are also going to sit down and looking at the financials if I were to go to Minnesota. I want to go to Minnesota but we have to be sure that we can afford it first."

Holcomb could become the second preferred walk-on in the 2012 recruiting class.

CDH Back to visit
One of Minnesota's best running backs, Kendrik Brewster, will take an official visit to Minnesota this weekend. The Cretin-Derham Hall running back has both academic and athletic opportunities at the college level.

"I am going to take an official visit to the University of Minnesota this weekend. The following weekend I am going to visit St. Thomas. They are offering me a full ride for academics for all four years. Minnesota wants me to be a preferred walk-on and I have to try to decide what is best for me. I am definitely excited to check out both places."

Sibiea open-minded
Minnesota has been pursuing current Louisville commit Pedro Sibiea for quite some time. This weekend Sibiea will be making the trip from Florida to Minnesota for his official visit.

"I am still planning to come up to Minnesota. Coach Miller was actually down here on Monday to talk with me about my visit. He told me I would be a great addition to the program and they need more athleticism on the defensive front and that I could help them out with that. He also let me know that my former teammate Theiren Cockran would be my host so I am looking forward to that. I am going up to Minnesota with an open-mind and I can't wait to see the snow."

Humphries to decide
Kalon Humphries attended the Minnesota camp this summer and has been on campus a number of times. The Walled Lake (MI) offensive lineman lacks ideal height for a Division 1 offensive lineman which has led to larger schools passing on him. Humphries was recently accepted to Minnesota and is considering walking-on.

"I am trying to decide between walking-on at Minnesota or going to one of the smaller schools that are recruiting me. It has always been my dream to play at Minnesota but I have a better opportunity to play right away at a smaller school. The whole decision has been a lot tougher than I thought and I am going to sit down with my parents and figure it out soon."

Harbison is rock solid in commitment
Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek wide receiver Jamel Harbison was once wavering on his commitment, but GI learned last week that he solidified his recruitment to Minnesota. Harbison gives the details to GI about the talk with Gopher coaches.

"I called the Gopher coaches last Tuesday I think," Harbison said. "The coaches were very excited to hear that I was now solid and that I won't be taking anymore visits. I'm excited to get to Minnesota and start my career."

Pierce visits with Kill
Richfield (Minn.) Holy Angels defensive linemen Brett Pierce went down to Minnesota to talk with Coach Kill Monday and he talks to GI about what he had to say.

"I had a nice conversation with Coach Kill a couple nights ago," Pierce told GI. "We talked about getting me down for a visit and what my position would be if I choose to go there. I'm either going to visit this weekend or next depending on when Wyoming wants me to visit and Coach Kill said they want me at defensive tackle. He said that I would get to a healthy 290 pounds and he'd love to see what I could do from there. I would love to play for the U, but I have to look the schools that have offered such as NDSU and Wyoming. I'll make my decision after visiting Minnesota, NDSU and Wyoming."

Donaldson all set to visit
Miami (Fla.) Southridge defensive linemen Roosevelt Donaldson was visited by Coach Miller on Monday and he talks to GI about what the Gopher coach had to say.

"Coach Miller came by my house Monday afternoon," Donaldson said. "He told my parents and I a bit more about Minnesota and what the school and football program had to offer. He said they're interested and we confirmed that I'll be visiting on the 27th. He didn't mention an offer, but Minnesota is number one on my list."

Gregory decision coming?
Chicago (Ill.) Simeon quarterback Robert Gregory visited Purdue last weekend and GI updates on where things stand in his recruitment now.

"I'm going to decide between Minnesota, Purdue, Kansas, Iowa and Illinois," Gregory told GI. "I don't need to take anymore visits to decide where I'm going to go college either. I still plan on deciding on Signing Day."

Minnesota done with a few recruits?
Grand Blanc (Mich.) wide receiver Xavier Amerson both confirmed that Minnesota has not been in contact with them recently.

Minnesota pursuing a kicker?
Manheim (Penn.) Central kicker Bryant Myer is a new name to pop up on the GI radar and Myer talks to GI about his contact with Minnesota.

"Minnesota was in contact with me a few weeks ago," Myer explains. "They called and talked to my coach about me, but I don't really want to go that far away from home. I'm going to visit Virginia Tech this weekend and then decide between Tech and soccer."

Davis is high on the Gophers.
Cincinnati Colerain running back Chris Davis was one of the first players to receive a 2013 Gopher offer. He is excited to see the school and still has them very high on his list.

“I am keeping my options open still, but Minnesota is one of my schools. I am hoping that I can get up there and get a look at it soon. It is a great school and I think the coaches are turning that program into a winner.”

Munger will visit soon.
Shaker Heights, Ohio defensive tackle Donovan Munger is one of the top defensive tackles in the class of 2013. He plans to make a trip to visit Gopher Nation in the near future.

“I have called the coaches at Minnesota a few times and we talk about the program. I am planning on coming up there for a junior day. Antonio Johnson has told me a lot about the school and the coaches and I am really excited to get up there and see everything for myself as soon as I can.”

Gophers are going hard after Daniel
The Gopher staff is not afraid to take on the big boys in recruiting and Avon, Indiana defensive end Elijah Daniel has taken notice.

“It was really nice to talk to Coach Phelps and get to know him. They really like me as a player and what I can do on the field and I like how they think I can fit it there. They really love how I play and that means a lot that he could tell me exactly what he thinks. I am going up there for a visit in February in March and I am excited to meet Coach Kill and see the school.”

Coaches talk with Travis
Pensacola (Fla.) safety Damarius Travis received a visit from Head Coach Jerry Kill Tuesday night and talks to GI about the coach had to say.

"He and Coach Sawvel just came down to see if I was still firm in my commitment," Travis said. "I told them I'm still 100% committed to Minnesota and I can't wait to start up there this summer. I was really impressed how they came down to see me and that really made me realize how lucky I am. I very glad that Minnesota come down to Pensacola."

Gophers rolling in the Dinero?
Sunrise (Fla.) Piper cornerback Dinero Moss confirmed with GI that he is still solid to Minnesota and will sign with the Gophers come Signing Day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News