ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room: January 26

zach johnson

Jan 17, 2003
Spearman headed north?
Ike Spearman has been connected to the Minnesota Golden Gophers for some time. Spearman once chose Ole Miss over the Gophers. Is there mutual interest between Minnesota and Spearman again?

"Minnesota contacted me because they had a linebacker decommit. They just asked me if I was interested and I told them that I had to think about it. I feel like I am focusing more on Indiana, Illinois, and Eastern Michigan right now. I like Minnesota but right now I don't think it is the right school for me."

Coach Z sees E
Milwaukee Riverside defensive back Eric Murray has been committed to since June. Murray impressed the Gopher staff to receive an offer at camp and committed shortly after. The GI faithful are wondering where the renewed interest in defensive backs is coming from. Could it be Murray?

"Coach Zebrowski came by to see me on Monday at my school. He just gave me the low down on what I needed to do with signing day. He let me know what I needed to sign and exactly what I needed to do. It was nice to sit down and talk with him about my future home. I am a Golden Gopher and I haven't been looking anywhere else."

Montini junior wants to visit
The Golden Gopher coaching staff has began to actively start pursuing 2013 recruits in the past two weeks. A new name is Montini (IL) offensive lineman Tate Briggs. Briggs was visited by Coach Phelps on Wedneday.

"Coach Phelps came to my school today and he just told me that Minnesota was interested in me. He told me a little bit about their program and he wants to get me on campus for a visit so I can see things for myself. I don't have a date set up yet but I am hoping to make the trip to Minnesota soon."

Coaches visit Sibiea
This may be old news by the time it hits the War Room if Sibiea makes his choice tomorrow afternoon. Anyways, Coach Kill and Coach Miller made the trip to Florida on Wednesday to talk with Homestead defensive lineman Pedro Sibiea and his family. What did they tell him?

"Coach Kill and Coach Miller just came down to talk with my family and I. They told me how important I am to them and they really think I can help out on the defensive line. They told me they weren't trying to put any pressure on me but they just wanted me to compare them to the other schools I was considering. I have some thinking to do."

Sibiea will decide between Minnesota, Louisville, and Cincinnati in the coming days.

Keith gets visitors
Alex Keith was a recruit that was under the radar until Coach Kill and his staff found him. The Gophers are hoping the Missouri defensive end can come in and make an immediate impact. Keith was visited on Monday night by a few visitors.

"Coach Kill, his wife, and Coach Anderson came down here on Monday night. They just wanted to stop by my house and make sure that things were going well. We had a good talk and I can't wait to be a Golden Gopher."

The Killer visit The Duke
The patience of Duke Anyanwu finally paid off when he took his official visit to Minnesota during the weekend of January 13th. Anyanwu was extended a full ride scholarship by Coach Kill and accepted the same day. The Gopher head coach visited Anyanwu on Wednesday at Blaine High school.

"Coach Kill just stopped by to talk with me and my high school coach. He just wanted to let me know what the situation was with my offer. He told me right now they are going to see how things go in the spring in terms of depth and then let me know. They are mainly focusing on me as either an H-back or defensive end. I think this class could be a really good one so I'm excited to get started."

Lynn is ready
Lake Zurich linebacker Jack Lynn took the trip to Minnesota in June for the Gopher football camp. Lynn was able to show off his skills and was awarded with an offer shortly after. Lynn has been committed to Minnesota ever since.

"Coach Phelps actually stopped by my school today (Wednesday). We just talked about signing day and what I should expect. He let me know everything that I needed to make sure I am all set to go. I am energized to get back up to Minnesota and see some of the guys. I formed some pretty good friendships with some of the players and other guys who are committed so it will be good to see them again."

Moss talks commitment
Sunrise (Fla.) Piper cornerback Dinero Moss had been rumored to have some academic issues and he clears everything up with GI.

"I'm all set with my grades to sign with Minnesota next week." Moss explained. "I've been ready to be a Gopher since my visit up there last fall and I can't wait to join my new family in Minnesota."

James talks Minnesota visit
Brookfield (Wis.) East defensive end Alec James was visited by a Gopher coach last week and he tells GI what Minnesota has to say.

"Coach Zebrowski stopped by last week while I was working out," James said. "I didn't have a chance to speak with him, but talked with my coach for a while. My coach said that Minnesota is very interested in me and they invited me to their Junior day. He said that they like my speed and really want to get me on campus."

Phelps hits Illinois
Chicago (Ill.) Harlan offensive linemanKi-Jana Evansspoke with Coach Phelps last Friday and he tells GI that Minnesota is very interested.

"Coach Phelps came to my school Friday and I had to talk with him for a while," Evans explained to GI. "He told me that he enjoys speaking with me on Facebook and that Minnesota is very interested in me. They also invited me to their Junior day in April and told me this wouldn't be the last time I see him. I'm real excited about that because I'm very interested in Minnesota."

Thompson gets visit from Minnesota
Valencia (Calif.) wide receiver Tedric Thompson was surprised to see Coach Sawvel stop by his school on Monday and he tells GI that Sawvel was impressed with him.

"He came by and watched me lift for a bit," Thompson said. "He said that I have been doing a good job in the weight room and to keep that up. He also said I looked taller and bigger than last time and he would make sure to tell that to Coach Kill."

Donaldson hears fateMiami (Fla.) Southridge defensive tackle Roosevelt Donaldson received a phone call from Minnesota Tuesday night and tells GI what the coaches had to say.

"They told me that I'm probably not visiting anymore," Donaldson said. "They told me that there is probably not a spot open for me anymore and that they'll contact me if something opens up."

Jackson back on the boardSparta (Ill.) athlete Darius Jackson has seen Minnesota's interest in him sky rocket this past week and talks to GI about the events.

"Well Coach Kill called me Monday night," Jackson said to GI. "He asked me how my recruiting was going and such and then told me that Coach Anderson would be swinging by my school Tuesday. Coach Anderson came after school to watch me do a workout and some DB drills. He told me that he and Coach Kill were going to talk and then get back to me."

Steen hearing from Minnesota
Irvine (Calif.) Beckman outside linebacker Elijah Steen is a brand new name on GI recruiting radar and he spoke with GI about his Gopher interest.

"Minnesota actually called my coach last week on Wednesday I think," Steen said. "He told him that Minnesota has a scholarship opening at the outside linebacker position and they are very interested after watching my film. I haven't taken my SAT yet, so I'm taking it on Saturday. I'm going to put a rush on the scores and they should be back very soon after. A Minnesota coach called me tonight to let me know that they wanted to get me out on a visit this weekend, but because I haven't taken my SAT they can't. He told me that they want me to visit the weekend of the 14th after they get my scores. I'm very interested in Minnesota."

Timms excited for trip
Fort Walton Beach (Fla.) defensive tackle Yoshoub Timms was visited by Coach Sawvel on Tuesday and he spoke with GI about the visit and his upcoming trip.

"Coach Sawvel just came by to make sure everything was good for the trip," Timms said. "He told me that Minnesota still really likes me and can't wait to have me see what Minnesota has to offer. I leave Thursday morning and if they were to offer me, I would for sure commit."

Gibson talks GophersMissouri City (Texas) Fort Bend Marshall cornerback John Gibson recently came back onto the market when he parted ways with Arkansas. He talks to GI about his renewed contact from Minnesota.

"Once I de-committed from Arkansas Monday, Minnesota called a few hours later," Gibson explained. "They've been in constant contact with me all week and sent down Coach Sawvel to speak with me at school tomorrow. He told me that Minnesota is looking at me on either side of the ball. My favorites are Missouri, Minnesota and Texas Tech."

Nicholson is excited to finally see Minnesota.
Linebacker Brian Nicholson committed to Minnesota in July without ever setting foot on campus. Now six months later he can’t wait to get his first look at his future home.

“I will be up there tomorrow morning and I am really excited. I am looking forward to the whole experience of seeing the coaches, meeting the players, and seeing the schools. There is not just one thing I want to see, I want the whole experience. I am 100% locked in to being a Gopher and I can’t wait to get started.”

Onwualu lands U offer.
One of the biggest early questions of the 2013 class has finally been answered, James Onwualu has an offer from Minnesota.

“Minnesota offered me about two weeks ago. I was excited to finally get the offer from them. They are right in my backyard and I feel like they are a program on the rise. I went over to campus and had a chance to meet with the coaches and I like the direction that Coach Kill is taking the program.”

Will the Wheelwright legacy continue at Minnesota.
Columbus (Ohio) wide receiver Rob Wheelwright has a name that sounds familiar to Gopher fans and it should, his brother Ernie played receiver under Glen Mason and Tim Brewster. The younger Wheelwright recently picked up an offer from the Gophers.

“I talked to Coach Anderson today and he asked me if I knew that I had an offer from them. I guess they offered me awhile ago, but I did not even know that. I was pretty excited to find out that they had. I used to go up to Minnesota all the time when my brother played there and I really liked it. I know a lot has changed since then with the stadium, the uniforms, and the coaches, but they seem to be working to put Minnesota on the right track again. My brother will be someone I lean on to help me with recruiting, but I think he will let me make my decision. I am sure he will let me know about Minnesota and give them a lot of love, but he will be supportive. I do plan to visit Minnesota soon and get a look at all of the changes and get to know the coaches.”

Gopher to host walk-on candidate from Ohio
Hunting Valley (Ohio) University athlete John McKelvey will be making a visit to Minnesota this weekend and if all goes well he will have his college plans all laid out.

“I am flying up to Minnesota tomorrow for an official visit. If everything goes like I think it will I am going to commit to go there as a preferred walk-on. I have been talking to Coach Anderson and Coach Kill for a month or two and they have a great opportunity for me there. I am really excited about the direction of the program.”

Look for a full interview with McKelvey tomorrow morning.
This post was edited on 1/26 7:48 PM by Zach Johnson

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News