ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room: January 5

zach johnson

Jan 17, 2003
Nicholson Plans Official
Miami Central linebacker Brian Nicholson has been committed to Minnesota since July. Golden Gopher fans were a bit concerned that Nicholson had yet to schedule his official visit to the Twin Cities.

"Coach Miller was down here in Miami yesterday. We had a good talk about Minnesota and mainly the academics. I have to finish up two classes next semester and then I am all set to attend Minnesota. I am solid to Minnesota at this point and only intend to take one official visit. Coach Miller and I scheduled my visit to Minnesota for the weekend of January 27th. I am looking forward to seeing Minnesota up close."

Nicholson will be the second Miami Central product to visit Minnesota.

Briscoe Could Visit
Jacoby Briscoe has been hearing from Minnesota since early in the spring. Minnesota has began to pick up their interest in him as of late.

"Coach Sawvel was down here yesterday to talk with me at school. He told me about Minnesota and showed me some pictures of the campus. I set up a visit to Minnesota on January 20th but I have to make sure that is okay with my parents. A couple of other schools want me to visit that same weekend but right now I am planning to take an official to Minnesota. I have no favorites right now."

Briscoe has offers from Texas Tech, Pittsburgh, Tulane, Louisiana-Lafayette, and Memphis. He is also receiving high interest from Texas A&M and Miami.

Junior College DT will visit
GopherIllustrated has confirmed that Roland Johnson will visit Minnesota on the weekend of January 13th.

Gophers still doing the Hankey Pankey?
Hamilton (Ohio) offensive tackle Adam Pankey was planning on visiting Minnesota in the next few weeks, but is that still the case?

"Yes I still plan on visiting Minnesota," Pankey told GI. "Minnesota gave me a call yesterday and they told me they're coming to my game tomorrow to talk to me more. West Virginia is also coming, but I'd say it's pretty even between the three schools now. I still am committed to Pitt though."

Minnesota done with Jackson?
Sparta (Ill.) athlete Darius Jackson has been very quiet with his recruitment lately but he gives GI just a brief update on his recruiting.

"Minnesota had two other safeties commit so I'm no longer an option for them," he told GI.com "I'm taking visits to Northern Illinois and Eastern Michigan now. Illinois called last night so hopefully I'll visit there as well."

Minnesota walking in the Parks?
Converse (Texas) Judson wide receiver Dennis Parks has been very quiet with his recruitment since his visit to Minnesota but he gave GI an update on his recruiting.

"It's still between Rice and Minnesota," Parks said. "I had dinner with a coach from Rice tonight and I promised him that I wouldn't visit anymore schools until I visit Rice next weekend. The Rice coach told me that if I'm not 100% sold on the school to re-open my recruitment. Minnesota called me yesterday to let me know that Coach Poore and Coach Kill will down here for an in-home visit Saturday night, so we'll see how that goes. I'm still not going to make my final decision until after I visit Rice. I should know then."

Gophers in need of a Groom?
Tyler (Texas) center Conner Grooms thought he had an offer from Minnesota but he thinks that's not the case anymore. He gives GI an update on his recruiting.

"I had visits from the head coaches of Memphis and Louisiana Tech in today and they both offered me," Grooms said. "Minnesota hasn't talked to me in almost three weeks now, so I think if I had an offer from them, they would've been in touch with me."

Gophers talking with Cocoa product?
Cocoa (Fla) linebacker Grady Redding received a visit from a Minnesota coach a few weeks ago and he tells GI about his recruiting since.

"Recruiting has been pretty slow and Minnesota hasn't spoken with me since then so I assume they moved on."

Antonie being pursued by Minnesota?
Belle Chasse (La.) safety Quadry Antonie was a player that Minnesota supposed that highly enough to give him an offer, but are they still in pursuit? Antonie gives GI an brief update on his recruiting.

"Minnesota hasn't been in contact with me for almost a month now," Antonie said. "I think they're full at the safety position now so it would make sense why they haven't called."

Gophers closing in on Vollstedt?
Iowa City (Iowa) Regina linebacker Jacob Vollstedt was thought to be in contention of an offer, but is that still the case? He gives GI just a brief update on his recruiting.

"Minnesota called the other night," Vollstedt said. "They said that they're now full at linebacker since they're going to take a couple of linebackers they had at their camp this summer."

Amerson still hearing from Gophers?
Winter Park (Fla.) wide receiver Xavier Armeson was visited by Gopher coaches during the bye week, but have they spoke with him since? Armeson gives GI an update on his recruiting.

"Minnesota came around mid-December to talk to me," Armeson explains. "They told me about how I should really consider them and talked about all aspects of the campus. They also wanted to get me up on a visit to campus and ?I probably will. They haven't talked to me since then, so it's been three weeks or so. We'll see what happens I guess."

Gophers running through Fields?
Grand Blanc (Mich.) wide receiver Jordan Fields was still in steady contact with Fields a few weeks back, but is that still the case? Fields gives GI an update on his recruiting.

"I last talked to Minnesota a few days before Christmas Break," Fields said. "They told me that they should be coming down to see me in the first couple weeks of January. I have a little bit lower interest in them because the receivers and defensive backs they have committed are pretty good. I'm looking for the opportunity to play right away because I want to be rewarded for hard work I put in each day. I haven't heard from them since, we'll see what's in store in the next few weeks. I am committed to Central Michigan unless another school makes a big push."

Sibiea Wavering?
Minnesota will host Florida defensive lineman and current Louisville commit Pedro Sibiea during the weekend of January 20th. Sibiea expects to hear more from Minnesota in the coming days.

"Coach Miller is coming down to Florida sometime this week to talk with me. I still plan to visit Minnesota and I have an open-mind about taking my visit up there. I am pretty solid to Louisville because I have visited there already. If something about Minnesota really impresses me then anything could happen."

Goff to decide
Bennett Goff is a relatively new name to GopherIllustrated. The Middleton, Wisconsin, athlete recently found out his fate from the Minnesota Golden Gopher coaching staff.

"Right now they are offering me as a preferred walk-on, something could change later in the process but that's what they are offering me right now. I'm interested in the option of walking on. I really like their program and everything they have to offer. I have a couple more visits planned to Dartmouth and Wyoming. I will likely make my decision after the weekend of the 20th."

Gophers Visit Moritko
The Gopher coaching staff is working hard to add a solid group of preferred walk-on's to the 2012 class. Totino-Grace athlete Andy Moritko was visited on Wednesday by Coach Kill and Coach Limegrover.?

"I had a good conversation with Coach Kill and Coach Limegrover. They were really complimentary of me and my skills. They told me even though it's a walk-on offer, I still have the ability to play Big Ten football which is great to hear. I'm still looking at what I think about the preferred walk-on offer. I do like the Minnesota coaching staff they are very classy and recruit the right way. I hope to have a decisions sometime in the next ten days."

Ward is Waiting
Coach Reeves stopped by Atlantic High School shortly before the holiday break to talk with wide receiver Chad Ward. Ward is a big target that is hoping to hear more from Minnesota.

"I have not heard anything from Minnesota since Coach Reeves stopped by my school a few weeks ago. I am planning to visit Florida Atlantic pretty soon and that should determine whether or not I am committed. If Minnesota were to show more interest, they would definitely jump in the mix for me."

Ward currently holds offers from Florida Atlantic and Middle Tennessee State.
This post was edited on 1/5 6:49 PM by Zach Johnson

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News