ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room: November 17

zach johnson

Jan 17, 2003
Florida linebacker is hoping for an offer.
Del Ray Beach (Fla.) American Heritage linebacker Zach Slafsky has been in contact with the Gopher coaches for a few months and is hoping that contact will soon turn into an offer.

“I have been talking to Minnesota for a little over a month and they seem really interested. I already have offers from Illinois and Bowling Green and Minnesota and Middle Tennessee are showing me a lot of interest. I would like to take visits to all four schools and then make up my mind. I really like Minnesota right now and think I can play there early. I hope that they offer me scholarship soon.”

2013 Ohio quarterback has Gophers in his top group
Cincinnati (Ohio) Moeller quarterback Ricky Davis already has two offers and named a group of four schools on top of his list. Minnesota was on that list along with Michigan State, Penn State, and Tennessee.

“I have been in contact with Minnesota over e-mail and with some letters. They sent me a letter saying how they really like my tape and they think I could be a good fit for their offense. Minnesota is a school that I am really interested in. Right now my plan is to go up there for camp over the summer and meet the coaches and see everything.”

Tampa defensive end has Minnesota ties
2013 Tampa Plant end Mitchell Wright has been hearing from the Gophers and has some family ties to the U.

“Minnesota sent me a questionnaire and has requested some tape on me. I have never been to Minneapolis, but my step mom is from there. I also have some family members that are professors at Minnesota and love it there. I think it would be a great place to go to school and play football.”

Monticello athlete has the U’s interest.
Birk Olson has been to several games already this season and is looking forward to talking to the coaches more in the near future.

“I have been invited to all of the games this season and I have been to a few. I have had the chance to talk with all of the coaches and they seem really interest in me so far. Coach Kill told me we will talk more after the season is over.”

Top 2013 Ohio defender has Gophers on his radar.
Linebacker Grant Cartwright is one of the top players in his class in the state of Ohio. He already has a long list of top programs focusing on him. One school he has taken a liking to is Minnesota.

“I have been getting a lot of mail and e-mails from all over the country and Minnesota has been one of the most active schools. I am sending them my video next week so I am hoping that they will offer me soon. I would put Minnesota firmly in my top ten. I want to play up north and could definitely see myself as a Gopher in the future.”

Badger State back is getting Gopher interest
Running back R.J. Shelton of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin might be the top recruit in the state for 2013. One school that has taken notice of is talent is Minnesota.

“I have been getting e-mails and letters from Minnesota for awhile. I was supposed to go to a game there a few weeks ago, but I had a family event so I was not able to make it. I really want to get up there and meet all of the coaches and see the facilities.”

Interest from Ohio back is mutual.
Cincinnati (Ohio) Colerain running back Chris Davis was one of the first players to pick up a Minnesota offer in the class of 2013 and he can’t wait to learn more about the Gophers.

“I actually just got a letter from them today and I want to hear a lot more from them. I know they used their running back a lot at Northern Illinois and that really has me excited. I want to find out as much as I can about Minnesota.”

Keith rates Gophers at the top.
Alex Keith had made several visits before coming to Minnesota last weekend, but after seeing Minneapolis he rates the Gophers at the top.

“Over the summer I went to Missouri, Iowa, Oklahoma State and a few other schools. They were all nice, but Minnesota is by far the nicest school I have visited. Between the facilities, the stadium, and the city it is easily the best. Minnesota is my favorite for sure. I really hope I get an offer there.”

Minnesota keeps playing the Fidel?
Summit (Miss.) Southwest Mississippi Community College cornerback Fidel Montgomery was thought to have been picking up steam in his recruitment with Minnesota.

Is that still the case? "Minnesota has still been in contact with me since I spoke to you last a few weeks ago. Coach Sawvel is supposed to be coming down here in two weeks to speak with me again and talk about setting up a visit. I have a lot of interest in Minnesota."

Minnesota in line for the Duke?
Blaine athlete Duke Anyanwu has been among a select number of local recruits that have been in contact with Minnesota recently.

What does Minnesota have to say recently? "I talked to Coach Reeves today on the phone for a while," Anyanwu said. "Coach Kill has been talking about me a lot and their interest for me is higher after Coach Kill watched my highlight
tape, now they just have to evaluate my game tape and see where I fit in. Hopefully good news coming soon!"

Minnesota cooling on Florida WR?
Winter Park (Fla.) wide receiver Xavier Amerson had a Minnesota coach down speaking with him a few weeks ago, but what's the latest between him and the Gophers?

"Well, Middle Tennessee State and Mississippi State have been contacting me a lot as of late and I'm working on setting up visits to go there. Minnesota hasn't been in contact with me for a few weeks now. It's been real quiet between us."

Hall dancing his way to an offer?
La Place (La.) St. Charles Catholic athlete Jeffery Hall had last been told that he's waiting in line for a Gopher offer.

Is that still the case? "Recruiting has been steady lately, but no new offers. Coach Sawvel just called me yesterday to congratulate me on our playoff win as well. Not so sure on visits just yet."

Minnesota Dashoneing the way?
Klein (Tx.) safety Dashone Smith had been quoted in a recent story saying Minnesota was not among those still recruiting him.

How accurate was that statement? "I still plan on visiting Minnesota after my season. We're still in playoffs so it's hard."

Jones close to a visit?
Absecon (N.J.) Holy Spirit running back Nigel Jones is among a distinct few that the Gophers are still recruiting at the RB position.

What does this Jersey Shore running back have to say about Minnesota? "I haven't talked to Minnesota in a couple weeks, but my coach has been in contact with them though each week. When I last spoke with Minnesota, they said they really like me and they may offer me after the season. I'll most likely visit after the season because right now I'm just focused on winning another state championship."

Bzoskie a U option?
Lakeville South wide receiver Devon Bzoskie has been among a select number of local recruits that have been in contact with Minnesota recently.

What does Minnesota have to say recently? " I just talked to Minnesota Saturday at the game," Bzoskie said. "They told me that they really want me as a preferred walk-on. For me, it's disappointing, but I figured that would happen. I'm still honored that they at least want me and still think that I have the ability to compete and contribute as a player. I'm going to talk to them about the situation in December and we'll go from there."

Brown Gaining Interest
The Golden Gopher coaching staff continues to pursue junior college defensive backs for next season. Colby Brown began hearing from Minnesota in the spring.

That interest has tapered off as of late. "I have not heard from Minnesota in about a month," Brown said. "Right now I am hearing the most from Texas Tech, Troy, and East Carolina."

Brown's coach at Highland Community College let him know that he had some good news for him. "Minnesota requested my transcripts yesterday. I hope after they took a look more interest will come my way," said Brown.

Brown has planned an official visit to Troy in December and will likely take another official to East Carolina in January.

New in-state player getting interest?
Holy Angels defensive end Brett Pierce is a brand new name here on GI, but not for the Gopher coaching staff.

GI gets an update on his recruitment. "North Dakota, South Dakota and Wyoming have offered me," Pierce told GI.com. "Michigan State, Indiana, Akron, Western Michigan and Minnesota have been in contact within the last week as well. I have been in contact with Minnesota since I went to their Junior Day and we've been in contact weekly ever since. Coach Claeys is my recruiting coach and he told me an offer could be coming my way soon."

GI.com will have more on this story tomorrow morning.

New JUCO DT getting interest?
Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College defensive end Dimitri Orr is another brand new name here on GI, but again not for the Gopher coaching staff.

GI gets an update on his recruitment. "Well, I was just offered by Cincinnati and South Alabama," Orr told GI.com. "Mississippi State, Purdue, Texas Tech, West Virginia and Minnesota have been in contact with me recently well. Minnesota and I have been in contact since Coach Miller came down to the school about a month ago. He told me they were really impressed with my overall game. They have been writing me hand-written letters, which shows me that they care even more. The letters just say how interested they are in me. I'll start taking visits after Christmas I think since I'm a May graduate."

Travis Has the Qualification
Damarius Travis meets one critical qualification for Golden Gopher fans and that is the daunted Western Michigan offer. Travis is the teammate of Jalen Spencer from Pensacola High School in Florida.

Travis started receiving interest shortly after Minnesota's bye week. "The coaches started talking with me awhile ago," Travis said. "They just told me that they are interested in me and have been asking how my season has been going."

A large amount of junior college defensive backs are currently hearing from Minnesota. Travis appears to be a backup option if the coaching staff misses on a few other recruits. "Minnesota told me they would let me know about an offer in the next three weeks," explained Travis. "Right now I just have offers from FIU and Western Michigan. I have no favorites at this point in my recruitment."

Forston Waiting on Offers
The coaching staff at Minnesota continues to look for immediate help on the defensive line next season. Kevin Forston received an offer earlier in the spring from the Minnesota coaching staff.

Forston has watched his recruitment slow down recently. "I have not heard from Minnesota lately," Forston said. "I graduate in May so my coaches said I won't hear from anybody until December."

Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College, Forston's team, recently wrapped up their junior college season. He hopes to begin hearing from schools again. "Right now I am just playing the waiting game," explained Forston. "I am still very interested in Minnesota and Texas A&M."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News