ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room: October 11

Ryan Burns

Aug 8, 2010
Oakdale, MN
Streveler solid to the U
With a very strong senior season so far, is Woodstock (Ill.) Marion Central Catholic quarterback Chris Streveler still solid to the Golden Gophers or are other schools starting to catch his eye?

"Wisconsin talks to my coach about me sometimes and I know they like me. Some other schools have called to make sure I'm still solid, but I just tell them I am. Minnesota fans have nothing to worry about, I'm as solid as ever!"

On the season Streveler is 89-135 for 1,453 yards with 15 touchdowns and 0 interceptions through the air. He has added 97 carries for 646 yards and 15 touchdowns on the ground.

Salzwedel has monster night
Beaver Dam (Wis.) defensive end Owen Salzwedel has been very quiet in talking about his recruiting since he committed back in the summer, is he still firm to Minnesota?

"Coach Phelps came by last week to watch my game and I went off quite frankly," Salzwedel said jokingly. "I have 7.5 sacks in the game and I just played out of my mind. I really got off the snap well and used my speed and power to get sack after sack. I'm pretty sure that bring me to 13 on the season so far. Coach Phelps and Coach Z have been keeping in contact with me weekly and I didn't have a chance to talk with Coach Phelps after the game, but I'm pretty sure he liked what he saw. Other schools have been calling, but I just tell them I'm solid to Minnesota. If they didn't want me then, why should I look at them now? I'm 100% solid to Minnesota and I believe I'll be taking my official visit during the Michigan game with my family."

Myrick still firm with Minnesota
Savannah (Ga.) Christian School cornerback Jalen Myrick has been quietly having a strong season so far down in the deep south. Myrick updates GopherIllustrated.com on his status with Minnesota.

"Georgia Tech was starting to some a lot more interest a few weeks ago, but I decided that I don't want to hear from anyone but Minnesota now. Coach Anderson really cares about you as a person and those are the type of coaches I want to play for. I'm thinking of visiting for the Michigan game as well, I'm 100% to the Golden Gophers!"

Peppers still have Minnesota on top?
Memphis (Tenn.) Fairley defensive tackle Demaris Peppers had the Gophers on top for his services when he left after his official visit, is that still true today?. Peppers updates GopherIllustrated.com on his status with Minnesota.

"I still got Minnesota on top right now. I still want to take other visits though because my parents want me to have something to compare that visit too. I've also gotten recent interest from Missouri, North Carolina and Mississippi State and they want to see my entire senior film and then they'll get back to me about an offer."

Rucker will check out Minnesota
Robbinsdale Cooper and Iowa safety commitment Malik Rucker has been in steady contact with Minnesota since he committed to the Hawkeyes in June. The coaching staff wants to keep the best in state and they have an opportunity to make an impression on the three-star recruit this weekend.

"Yeah, I will be at the game this weekend," stated the in-state product. "I am excited to check it out. I mostly want to see the atmosphere. Coach Sawvel said he just wants me to get down to TCF Bank Stadium and see the atmosphere."

Gopher fans will have the opportunity to impress Rucker this weekend by creating a great atmosphere at TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday.

Top two in-state update their status
One time Gopher commit Oakdale (Minn.) Tartan cornerback James Onwualu is still hearing from the Gophers.

"Coach Glasscock actually invited me to the game on Saturday, but I don't think I'm going to go. They've continued to recruit me, but I'm solid to Notre Dame and plan on enrolling in January."

Another Washburn player getting Minnesota interest?
Minneapolis (Minn.) Washburn tight end Noah Scarver has been tearing up the gridiron during his senior season, but have the Gophers been recruiting the inner city standout?

"I just got invited to all their home games for the rest of the year," Scarver said. "That being said, they barely have even talked to me since the season started. I'll be at the game this weekend though."

2014 LB visits Minnesota
Mukwonago (Wis.) linebacker Dominic Cizauskas took an unofficial visit to TCF Bank Stadium for the Syracuse game and he talked with GI about his visit.

"The Minnesota game was awesome. It was really cool seeing all the players and coaches front row and the facilities were pretty outstanding as well as the stadium. The atmosphere was electric and we had a blast. I talked with their recruiting assistants and said "we like what we see and we will keep in touch with you." Last week, I talked to Coach Z at school on Friday and we talked about our season so far. I'm very interested to see where this goes with the Gophers as I have relatives that live in Minnesota as well as friends that go there. I've also been getting interest from Wisconsin, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ball State and most recently picked up interest from Ohio State."

Godwin schedules official visit to the U?
Tampa (Fla.) Freedom cornerback Nate Godwin recently picked up a Gopher offer and was thinking about scheduling an official visit to the Twin Cities. With Coach Reeves visiting him this past week, did they get anything set?

"Coach Reeves came by this past week and we talked about scheduling an official visit soon. I think we're planning on me going up for the Purdue game as of right now, but I have to double check with my schedule. He told me the Twin Cities is a great city that has many great things to do, so I'm really looking into that."

Poore visits Ekpe
Lewisville (Texas) defensive end Hendrick Ekpe received a visit from Coach Poore last week and he talks to GopherIllustrated.com about what they talked about.

"Coach Poore just stopped by to check in and say hi with me. Nothing more really, I still haven't scheduled a visit to Minnesota, but I plan on going soon. I want to visit them before I make a decision."

Gophers visit a pair of Georgia teammates
Minnesota spent a few days in Georgia and they met up with Stone Mountain (Ga.) defensive end James Hanley and where does the U stand with this Georgia sleeper?

"I spoke with Coach Anderson this past week and he said he really enjoyed my film and was going to pass it on. He later alerted our recruiting coach that their defensive line coach really enjoyed it as well. We spoke at school on Wednesday of last week and I'm pretty sure he came to our game last Friday. He said he would keep in touch with me and that he was surprised I didn't have a couple big time offers yet. He mentioned maybe getting me to come up there on an official visit soon too. He liked me a lot and saw some potential. He said he was going to bring my info and film to the other coaches and be in touch."

Coach Anderson also visited with Hanley's teammate in running back Dezmin Reed and GopherIllustrated.com also caught up with him to learn about what the two talked about.

"Coach Anderson came by last Friday and he told me that the offensive coaches love my tape and style of play. He said he likes my size and he like how I run and how I move pretty well for a 6'1 215 guy. He also said that I have great feet and that I have a nose for the end zone. I'm also hearing a lot from Wisconsin and Mississippi State lately, Wisconsin and I are trying to set up a visit soon."

Gophers going into the Woods?
Neptune Beach (Fla.) Flecther wide receiver Kalib Woods has had a great start to his senior season and some major schools like Minnesota have taken notice. Woods talked with GI about his recent visit from Minnesota.

"Coach Anderson came by last Tuesday and he was just telling my about their football team and the chance to play early. He likes the way I can catch the ball away from my body and that I can go get the ball as well. He also explained that they're a young team and there playing with a bunch of walk on's at the wide out position, so you can play early. He said that the offensive coaches were impressed with my film. He said we need to get into this recruiting process because they were late hearing about me. My interest in Minnesota is pretty high because I like a big time school like them, and they seem like they work pretty hard. I've also heard from North Carolina and Maryland in the past week. Attached here are his highlights so far this season.

Andrews close to a Gopher offer?
Fairhope (Ala.) School cornerback Nate Andrews was visited again by Coach Sawvel last week and Andrews shares with GopherIllustrated.com his conversation with the Minnesota coach.

"Coach Sawvel came to the school Friday and he said that they are going to offer me this week sometime!," Andrews said. "He was like they really like me a lot and that he was saying they are going to recruit me hard. When they do offer me I will be visiting soon after. They wanted to watch film on me at defensive back because I'm playing defense in college and he said once he shows the head coach the film, I should have an offer. My interest in Minnesota is very high!"

Brown still considering the U?
West Palm Beach (Fla.) Dwyer defensive end Malik Brown has been a top priority for many BCS schools including Minnesota, Coach Miller stopped by last week and Brown gave GI an update on what he had to say.

"He was basically just saying to give Minnesota a chance and let them take me on a visit up there, I'm strongly considering them for my final official visit. I'm putting recruiting on the back burner though and I focus on a state championship."

Parker visiting Minnesota soon?
Miami (Fla.) Booker T. Washington cornerback Darren Parker was surprised to see Coach Miller at his high school last Thursday and Parker caught up with GI about their visit.

"Coach Bill Miller just came down Thursday to see me and watch a couple of game films on me and he said he liked what he saw. He also said that I can come up for a visit, I just have to check with my coach what weekend works. He said he looking forward to me becoming a Gopher and he wants me to be part of his team. Minnesota is my top school."

Young hears from Gopher coach
Miami (Fla.) Norland defensive end Torrin Young has seen his recruiting start to take off a little bit with schools such as West Virginia and USF showing recently interest, but Coach Miller made an appearance last Thursday and Young talked with GI about the visit.

"Coach Miller was impressed by my game last Thursday and that I still have my Minnesota offer. I still need to be cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse before I can visit and I just took the ACT again on Saturday. He told me to keep working and that he'll be back to see me come playoff time. It means a lot that Coach Miller came down to see me and they're still my top school. He told me that he wants me to put on 20 more lbs. to be a defensive tackle and that's fine with me."

Walton emerges as a sleeper
Daphne (Ala.) Bayside Academy linebacker Jonathan Walton is brand new to the Gopher recruiting radar and he fills GI in on his visit from Minnesota. "I haven't talked to them much, but Coach Sawvel came by this week and we talked. He said hopefully he could get me up there sometime soon and that they are just looking at me as an athlete right now since their offensive and defensive coaches can't decide who wants me more. He also said they are losing three or four senior linebackers and playing time could come right away and that's very intriguing. I'd really like to go on an official visit there to learn more about them and check out the city. Penn State is still recruiting me really hard as well. I'm really interested in Minnesota."

In-state lineman to take unofficial
DeLaSalle offensive lineman Chad Fahning has helped the Islanders get off to a great start this season. The two-star offensive lineman plans to take an unofficial visit to the University of Minnesota this weekend.

"I'm going to the Northwestern game for a visit," Fahning said. "Coach Claeys and Coach Glasscock both called me and invited me down about a week ago. I'm just excited to take in the whole experience at TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday."

Fahning recently picked up offers from Western Michigan and Montana State to go along with Eastern Michigan, Columbia, Pennsylvania, North Dakota, Northern Iowa, and South Dakota State.

An in-state sleeper
St. Paul Central athlete Elijah Campbell is a sleeper in the state of Minnesota's 2013 recruiting class. Campbell impressed the Golden Gopher coaches with his athleticism during camp this summer. What interest is Minnesota showing in the Central senior?

"They seem to be interested in me. They most talk about getting a good score on my ACT and invite me to home games," explained Campbell. "Coach Kill said they could offer a full ride if I meet the NCAA eligibility requirements. Northern Illinois told me the same thing. I ran a 4.40 40-yard dash, 4.18 shuttle, broad jumped 9 ft. 11 inches, and benched 225 six times at their camp this summer. I'll be at the game this Saturday."

Campbell plans to take the ACT on October 27th and December 6th.

Eye on Alabama receiver
The state of Alabama boasts many great players and one of them is Robertsdale receiver Alphonso Stewart. Stewart currently has no offers, but is hearing from a handful of FBS schools. The Gophers are one of those schools.

"Minnesota is interested in me," Smith said. "They have been recruiting me since the spring. I get letters and hear from them a couple times a month. They said that they are interested and plan to keep an eye on me throughout my senior season."

Stewart plays quarterback in high school, but figured to be a receiver at the next level.

Gophers like Wisconsin receiver
The Golden Gopher coaching staff has begun to show interest in a wide receiver from our neighbors to the east. Brookfield East receiver Brian Smith started hearing from less than a week ago. Smith has already made plans to visit the University of Minnesota.

"Minnesota just recently started showing interest last week. Coach Zebrowski came to my school on Friday and said they were really excited about me. He also said to make sure I get registered with the NCAA Clearinghouse," added the Wisconsin product. "I will be taking an unofficial up there this weekend. I've heard the campus is gorgeous along with the facilities so I'm looking forward to check it out."

Smith is currently receiving interest from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Northern Illinois.

Minnesota stops by Scotland County
The Golden Gopher coaching staff is searching for a couple more linebackers in the 2013 recruiting class. Scoutland County linebacker Artemis Robinson was recently visited by Minnesota quarterback coach Jim Zebrowski.

"Coach Zebrowski the quarterbacks coach came down to see me last week," said the North Carolina backer. "I think he was talking with my coach and picking up transcripts too. He said he was highly interested, but he couldn't talk much because of the rules. I am definitely interested in Minnesota."

Robinson holds offers from Duke, N.C. A&T, Elon, and Appalachian State.

Gophers still leading for Carter?
Lakeland (Fla.) Lake Gibson wide receiver Eric Carter loved his visit to the Twin Cities a few weeks ago, but how does the Florida wide receiver feel about Minnesota after letting it sink in for a few weeks?

"The same old schools are recruiting me as of right now. I'm visiting Marshall at the end of the month and then I want to visit Iowa State as well before I make my decision, which will be after the season I think. The Gophers are still recruiting me very hard and are my number one school right now."

New running back emerging?
Minnesota is looking across the country to find a game changing running back and Mobile (Ala.) St. Paul's athlete Jordan Huff has caught their eye.

"Everything is starting to pick up again. I have offers from La. Tech, Duke, and Arkansas State, but Minnesota, Vandy, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, and Oregon are starting to show me a lot of interest. I don't have any visits set up yet, but I want to take an official to Minnesota, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, and Auburn."

Huff has started to build a strong relationship with Minnesota coach Jay Sawvel.

"Coach Sawvel came down to watch me play last week and we talked too. He told me they are only taking one running back and it is between me and three other guys. I really like Coach Sawvel and Minnesota. I can see myself going there and turning into a great athlete and really helping them to keep building a great team. I really want to get up there and take a visit as soon as I can."

Confirmed visitors for the Northwestern game

As of tonight, GI has learned that only Neiko Robinson are the only scheduled official visitors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News