ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room: October 27

zach johnson

Jan 17, 2003
Minnesota moving in on Blinn's Baltazar
The Minnesota coaching staff continues to look for junior college help at defensive back. One defensive back that has recently picked up interest is Blinn College's Jeremy Baltazar.

"Minnesota was recently at my game against Trinity Valley," Baltazar explained. "They contacted me after the game and said they were very interested in me."

Baltazar has also picked up interest from Kansas State, Mississippi State, Utah, and South Alabama. South Alabama is Baltazar's only offer right now but he is hoping more could be on the way.

"Minnesota would like to get me up for a visit," Baltazar said. "I am hoping to setup a visit soon because Minnesota and Kansas State are my favorites right now."

Baltazar is off to a fast start this season for the No. 1 junior college team in the nation. In seven games, he has 27 tackles, 6 pass breakup's, and one interception.

Blinn's Nealey interested in U
Blinn offensive tackle David Nealey is being pursued by the Gophers as well as many other colleges for his services. He gives GI an update on his recruitment.

“I'm currently talking to Washington State, UTSA, Kansas State, Utah, Minnesota, New Mexico State, Purdue, Iowa State and Florida State,” Nealey said. “ I talked to Coach Jay Sawvel and he was just saying how Minnesota liked what they seen from me on film, but he hasn’t said anything about Minnesota offering me. I would say UTSA, Utah, and New Mexico State are recruiting me the hardest, but I would definitely go to Minnesota.”

Nealey is a May graduate, which would decrease his value to most high end schools.

No luck for Hayes?
Blinn's defensive end Ishmail Hayes has had no contact with Minnesota so far.

Gardener wondering about U
GI.com caught up with former Golden Gopher signee Quentin Gardener, who is currently at Blinn College for a brief Q & A.

Has Minnesota been in contact with you recently? "No, I haven't talked to them in a while."

How did Minnesota leave it with you? "To be honest, I don't know. I figured they wanted me back, but I haven't heard from them in a while.

What's a while? "Like two or three months."

Shabazz is a U target
Athens (Texas) Trinity Valley Community College cornerback Martez Shabazz is new JUCO target for 2012 class and gives GI and update on his contact with Minnesota.

“They came and checked me out last week. They said they liked my speed and the way I’m consistently making plays in the secondary,” Shabazz said. “They also like the fact that I run a 4.3. They told me the defensive back coach was supposed to be contacting me very soon, and they wanted me to fax my school’s football schedule so they can set me up on a visit. They’re recruiting me at corner and really like the fact that I’m graduating in December. I have a lot of interest in Minnesota.”

Another Trinity Valley prospect on U radar
TVCC cornerback Clifford Stokes is the teammate, secondary partner of Martez Shabazz, and shares the award with him for best name. He updates GI on his contact with recruitment as well.

“I have offers from Iowa State, Houston, Western Kentucky and other smalls schools. Minnesota, Arkansas, Kansas State and TCU are real close to pulling the trigger as well,” he told GI.com “With Minnesota, a coach came down last week to talk to me and Martez. He said they like my film and he also recorded our practice as well. He got my transcript and really wants me to come up and visit. I’m pretty sure I’ll be visiting up there sometime in November. I would love to come to Minnesota”

Kill active in Kansas JUCO's
Jerry Kill has stated he would like to bring in one junior college offensive lineman in the 2012 class. Kill has used his connections in Kansas to find Coffeyville Community College offensive lineman Mark Beard.

"Minnesota began contacting me about a month ago," stated Beard. "They said that they like the way I play a lot."

The 6'3" 290 pound lineman is hearing from other schools as well. "I am hearing from Mississippi State, Minnesota, Houston, Louisiana Tech, UAB, Memphis, Troy, and South Alabama," Beard said. "Houston, UAB, Troy and South Alabama have offered me. I expect Mississippi State to offer soon."

Where does Minnesota stand? " I like Minnesota but they haven't been contacting me as much as some of the other schools," Beard explained.

Hall in running for a U offer
La Place (La.) St. Charles Catholic athlete Jeffery Hall gives GI just a brief update on his recruiting.

"North Texas offered me last Wednesday, Minnesota will be getting back to me about an offer," Hall told GI.com. "Coach Sawvel said that he is recruiting two or three other corners right now with offers so they'll get back to me about that. He also told me they're still evaluating my film and they have to do that before they hand out an offer"

Lewis has a solid poker face
Miami (Fla.) Carol City safety Carlylian Lewishas been playing his recruitment very close to the vest, but he gave GI the latest on schools recruiting him.

"I would like to go to Minnesota, but I no longer have an offer from them I think. They haven't been in touch with me for over a month," Lewis said. "I still have an offer from Florida Atlantic, but I hope the Gopher coaches get back in touch with me."

Is Walters a super sleeper?
Hallandale Beach (Fla.) safety Sean Waltersis flying under the radar down in the swamps of Florida until recently. He gives GI an update on his recruiting.

"Coach Miller came down two weeks ago to my school and we had a good conversation. He told me that Minnesota needs players of my kind and we talked about a visit when I get my test scores back," he told GI.com "I know I get my test scores back in November some time, so I'll start setting up visits after that. New schools such as Kentucky and West Virginia are starting to show me interest as well. I don't have any favorites as of right now, but I'm more interested with the schools that have been recruiting me since day one, like Minnesota."

Tom Lemming on Walters, "He hasn't got a lot of offers, but Division 1 schools should take a closer look. He presents good size, instincts and speed to the ball. A big hitter who loves to mix it up."

Hughes kicked to the curb
Elizabeth (N.J.) running back Elijah Hughes is no longer being recruited by Minnesota and hasn't been for some time.

Minnesota visits McCullough
Royal Palm Beach (Fla.) athlete Tremane McCulloughis the front runner for best picture of Gopher recruits so far and he gives GI.com an update on his recruiting.

"So far, I've talked to Memphis a couple times, Minnesota came down and visited me two weeks ago and Illinois is supposed to come see me at the end of the month," McCullough said. "Minnesota says they're interested in me and encouraged me to keep doing well this season. They saw my highlight tape from the first few games and are going to stay in contact with me. I like Minnesota and it seems like a good school to look into or visit."

McCullough's stats so far at running back are 168 carries for 1333 yards and 20 TD through eight games.

Michaelson starting to blow up?
Eden Praire linebacker Drake Michaelson is a local target for the Gophers and is leading the Eagles to a Top 5 ranking in the state. He gives GI and update on his recruiting.

“Well I just received two offers from South Dakota State and from the University of Wyoming. I am also talking with the Minnesota, Iowa State, Georgetown, Missouri, Air Force, Northern Illinois and Indiana,” Michaelson said. “Minnesota is still very interested and wants me to go to the Iowa game this next Saturday. Coach Bill Miller says they still want me.” When asked if he would consider walking on at Minnesota, he responded, “I’m not sure yet I would have to really think about it.”

Mixed signals from U to Larson?
Eden Praire running back Andrew Larson has been a key player in the Eagles 7-1 start to the season. But are the Gophers taking notice?

“Minnesota hasn't called me, emailed, or done anything. But I guess they are still interested, and want me to come take a visit. My recruiting coordinator says he is just very busy and focused on the team,” Larson told GI.com “I have offers from North Dakota State, North Dakota, South Dakota and South Dakota State as well as a lot of interest from Dartmouth, Princeton, and Harvard.”

When asked if he had any interest walking on at the U, Larson responded “I would go to school for free before I am going to pay for school.”

Anyanwu checked out Gophers-Huskers
Blaine Bengal quarterback, Duke Anyanwu after leading his team to a big victory over Osseo Friday night, checked out the Gopher game Saturday. He updates GI on the latest with his recruitment.

“Minnesota just said stay patient, they are about to start narrowing in on recruits and I'm definitely high on their list,” he told GI.com.

When asked who he was at the game with, Duke said, “Just met up with my buddies Maxx (Williams), Devon( Broske), Antonio (Ford), Phillip (Nelson), Mitch (Leidner) and Jonah Pirsig.”

Minnesota targeting walk-on candidate?
Lakeville South wide receiver Devon Bzoskie is not only the favorite target of current Gopher commit and teammate Mitch Leidner, but also a target of the coaching staff.

“Northern Iowa, Minnesota, Bowling Green and Michigan State said it’s possible I could be a walk on for them. I’m also hearing a little bit of Air Force and UConn and a ton of division two schools,” Bzoskie told GI.com “ I just sent out a lot of film, so hopefully I get a few more schools looking. I just went to the Gopher game yesterday and I spoke with the coaches. A few weeks prior, they asked for my transcripts too. The coaches are telling me to stick around and that I can come to any games or practices I want. I’ve been in contact with recruiting coordinators Billy Glasscock and Josh Sternquist mostly, but I have talked to the Wide Receiver coach multiple times.”

I was very impressed with Bzoskie's performance at Minnesota's camp. Bzoskie made a lot of plays and was the best wide receiver during the session. He showed excellent hands and enough speed to be a star at the high school level in Minnesota. The one problem with Bzoskie is that he might wow college coaches with potential, leaving many to believe he is as good as he is going to get. I believe he would be a hell of a walk-on candidate. (AZJ)

Minnesota out of the mix for Smith
Minnesota was in early on Midlothian (Ill.) Breman running back David Smith. The Gophers have been on the fringe of Smith’s list for quite awhile, but now it looks as if they are completely off of it.

“I am not really looking at Minnesota anymore. Things have basically fallen off with them. I have not heard from them in awhile so I guess they have moved on to other players.”

Gophers still in the mix for another Land of Lincoln back.
While Smith has eliminated the Gophers Oak Forest (Ill.) back Tevin Coleman is still looking at Minnesota as a potential landing spot.

“I am still talking to Minnesota and they are one of the schools that I am thinking about taking a visit to. I don’t have anything set up yet, but Minnesota has been trying to set up a visit, I just need to get an idea of where I want to go and see what fits into my schedule. I know that I want to visit a few schools and I have to figure out what the last three will be. Minnesota is one school that is a definite possibility for one of those visits.”

Bryant is keeping an eye on Minnesota
Minnesota was the first school to offer Delray Beach (Fla.) American Heritage running back Greg Bryant. Since that time he has seen his offer list blow up to the point he might be the top back in the class of 2013. He has not forgotten about the first offer he received.

“I am keeping an eye on Minnesota for sure. They were the first school to offer me and I won’t forget that when I am looking to make my choice. Right now I really don’t like the way they are playing so it would be tough for me to pick them today, but they have time to turn it around. If they can get things rolling the right way I could see Minnesota being a big player for me.”

Father Knows Best?
Danny Vereen had a lot of positive things to say about his son, 2013 recruit Corey Vereen, and his potential future in Minnesota.

“Corey is a very loyal kid and I can tell you that it means a lot to him that Minnesota was the first school to offer him. We have talked about how it is easy to go with the big name when they are always up, but it takes a different kind of commitment to join a team that is down and help them build to something special. Minnesota saw something in Corey that made them know he is the kind of kid they can build with and Corey and I really respect that. It is easy to be your friend when you are up, but your real friends are the ones who stick with you through thick and thin. Minnesota made that commitment to Corey and that says a lot about what they feel about him on and off the field. Like I said, he is a really loyal kid and this means a lot to him. I would not be surprised at all if he goes to Minnesota no matter what schools offer him.”

If Gophers step up, Amerson has interest
Minnesota tight end coach Rob Reeves was in Winter Park, Florida to take in a game a few weeks ago. One of the players he was keeping an eye on is receiver Xavier Amerson. To this point Minnesota and Amerson have not talked, but it could be just a matter of time.

“My coach told me that when the coach from Minnesota was here he was watching me play. They talked the next day and I was told that he really like how I played. I have not talked to him yet, but I am really hoping that he will call me soon. If Minnesota is interested in me then I am going to be very interested in them”

In the game that Reeves watched Amerson had 11 receptions for 181 yards and a touchdown.

Ford on the road to the U?
Wayzata Trojans running back Antonio Ford has had a great regular season, including a win over Eden Prairie, but has Minnesota taken notice? Ford gives GI just a brief update on his recruiting.

"Northern Illinois and Minnesota are the two schools showing me the most interest right now. If I get an offer anytime soon, it'll be from one of those schools," he told GI.com "Minnesota said that they like everything that I have as skills at running back and that I'm the only in-state back they plan on taking if they offer one this year. They came and saw my game against Eden Prairie and I went to the camp over there in the summer. They were impressed with both, so as soon as I get my ACT scores in and if they are good, Minnesota said they'll offer.

Would Ford commit on the spot if a Minnesota offer were to be extended? "Most likely, I would love to play in front of my friends and family."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News