ADVERTISEMENT

VIKINGS.. Love the win today but I still have mixed feelings

Vifan

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2004
As a Vikings fan, I always like a win. But at the end of the day, we just beat a winless team by 8 points and were darn close to getting tied at the end of the game if that would have been a TD pass(they still needed a 2 point conversion to tie, as well). So that makes me 'somewhat' happy. What I DONT WANT is for Minnesota to be in the middle of the pack at the end of the year with 'middle of the pack' draft picks. I would almost wish they would have a terrible season than a season with a 8-8 or 7-9 record. We have holes to fill so while I like the week-to-week challenges, I wish we would have strengths in areas that are now weaknesses.

In football, I feel you have to be strong at 4 positions, in today's game. You have to have 1) a GOOD QUARTERBACK 2) a GOOD OFFENSIVE LINE 3) a GOOD DEFENSIVE LINE and 4) GOOD DEFENSIVE BACKS. Hopefully some GOOD depth at the line positions and DB. You can fill in the other positions with more average talent but hard working players and still succeed. New England had a bit of that formula but I held to that thought, years before they won a Super Bowl.

I am still not convinced of Kirk Cousins.. He may tease us with a good game, here or there, but when he is out of the pocket, you can eliminate half the field to cover, if you are the opposing defense. Teams see Minnesota empty the backfield, on some formations, and that is an automatic sign to blitz the Vikings because they have no blocking help in the backfield. Vikings' run blocking was good today but the pass blocking has really struggled against good teams and I think they will struggle against the Seahawks next week. Minnesota misses Michael Pierce and Danielle Hunter on the DEFENSIVE LINE.. Hunter's neck injury worries me a bit for the future. In the secondary, those guys are young at the corners and we need some experience and time to develop the rookies... I don't know if Holton Hill or Mike Hughes will be the answers. I thought safety play would be a strength but that has been spotty this year, as well.

So we have a lot to build. Minnesota has a premier RB in Cook and a potential star at WR in Jefferson. But I would hate to see them wasted if Minnesota cant make those 4 positions I listed to be strong. O-line is still a main focal point. Minnesota will need to look into the free agent market for linemen on offense and maybe even at corner but neither will be easy to find. You can get a good QB if you are high enough in the draft but o-line and DBs are something the Vikings will need to look at again, next year.

I don't know but it is getting harder for me to stay interested in the Vikings anymore when I don't foresee them succeeding because of the mindset I have about the positions I listed above. We are a few years away, I am afraid.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News