ADVERTISEMENT

War Room: October 25th

Lucas Trickle

Jan 12, 2011
New Gopher interest for Waugh
McDonough (Ga.) Henry County linebacker Terrence Waugh is brand new to both the Gopher coaching staff and GI's radar, but how serious of interest does Waugh have for the Golden Gophers?

I just off the phone with Coach Anderson," Waugh said Tuesday night. "He told me that he's definitely going to recruit me and that he wants to set up a visit. This is the first time I've heard from the Gophers and I like the fact that he said they're playing a lot of freshman this year meaning he'll let the best play regardless of class. I have to learn more about their program, but I think I will set up a visit with them eventually."

Riley coming to visit?[/B]
River Ridge (La.) John Curtis linebacker Duke Riley has been a highly sought after prospect on the Gopher coaches radar, but is he close to setting a visit date yet?

"I'm planning on taking an official visit to Minnesota," Riley said. "I'm going to visit Minnesota because I haven't had a chance to visit them yet and they've been recruiting me hard for a long time now. I know that my teammate and running back Sherman Badie[/B] was planning on visiting in December sometime so I'll probably go with him. I haven't heard from Coach Sawvel since he visited a while back, so I hope he calls soon. Everyone has an equal shot with me as of now."

Minnesota still recruiting Perkins?[/B]
Walker (La.) athlete Carlton Perkins [/B]was offered by Minnesota back in the spring time and has been quiet with his recruiting as of late, GopherIllustrated caught up with Perkins for an update.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/f...kins-123501;_ylt=AgGYgMQgs_EbF_VWTXbcuW_UspB4
"Minnesota is still recruiting me hard," Perkins said. "Coach Sawvel tells me how they want me up there really bad and I'm actually thinking about taking an official visit there after my season. I've also been hearing a lot from Florida, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Auburn and Mississippi State, so I'm real excited about that. I think I'll take my five official visits to Minnesota, Florida, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Georgia too. I would put Minnesota second on my list behind LSU."

Hinojosa still committed to Golden Gophers

Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College defensive tackle and current Gopher commit Jordan Hinojosa gave GopherIllustrated.com a brief update on how things are progressing for him at Coffeyville.

"I'll be taking my official visit to Minnesota in December before I come up there in January," Hinojosa said. "I don't remember the exact date right now, but I know it's in December. I've been hearing from a few colleges still, but I tell them I'm not interested and I'm set to go to Minnesota. They're just wasting their breath trying to convince me to go elsewhere."

Gophers on the Hunt?
Willoughby (Ohio) South running back Kareem Hunt was offered by the Golden Gophers two weeks ago and he tells GopherIllustrated.com where Minnesota stands with him now.

"I just talked with Coach Z again this week" Hunt said. "I'm just trying to learn as much about their program as I can. He said that they're going to take just one back this year, so it's whoever grabs it first. We talked about me coming on a visit there sometime in December and I will be visiting during that time. Minnesota is definitely in my top five."

Carroll wants to visit Twin Cities
Belle Chasse (La.) linebacker Quinlan Carroll has been committed to Tulane since the beginning of summer, but is he starting to have second thoughts?

"I really want to visit Minnesota" Carroll said. "Coach Sawvel never stopped recruiting me and I'm starting to like them more and more. If the Minnesota coaches will let me, I'd love to take a official visit up to the Twin Cities."

Minnesota hot for Peppers?
Belle Chasse (La.) linebacker Demaris Peppers had Minnesota on top following his official visit to Minnesota back in early September, is that still the case?

"The Gopher coaches have been asking me lately if I'm ready to be a Gopher yet" Carroll said with a chuckle. "I'm not ready just yet though. I'm going to look at all my options first before I commit anywhere. I don't know where else I'll visit yet, but I'm working on it. Minnesota is still on top for me as of right now."

Carter takes a look at Toledo
Lake Gibson (Fla.) wide receiver Eric Carter visited Minnesota during the Syracuse game. The 85th ranked receiver in the nation took his second official visit last weekend to Toledo. What did Carter think of his visit?

"It was pretty good actually," Carter said. "The players and coaches show a lot of passion. It was nice, but not the Minnesota nice." Carter has cancelled his visit to Marshall and is unsure if/when he may visit Marshall. He has not other visit planned at this time.

"Maybe the end of the month or early November," Carter responded when asked about when he might make a commitment.

Minnesota tight end picking up interest
Noah Scarver has watched his stock rise since the beginning of his senior season. The Washburn athlete recently picked up an offer from Western Michigan. Are the Gophers still showing interest in Scarver?

"I got invited to their game this weekend," he said. "I can't go because we have a playoff game on Saturday. The schools that have offered me are showing the most interest right now. I might take an official visit to Western Michigan in January. I don't know when I'm going to commit."

Scarver currently has offers from Western Michigan, Northern Iowa, South Dakota State, North Dakota, and a greyshirt offer from Wisconsin.

Whiting on the verge of offer
Scarver's teammate at Minneapolis Washburn, Jamison Whiting, almost saw his football career come to an end earlier this season due to concussions. Whiting is symptom free and playing once again. HIs played has earned him recognition from a number of schools.

"Tulane is about to offer pretty soon I think. They need a defensive back and I've been talking to them a lot lately," Whiting explained. "UMass is also showing interest. SDSU, Montana, UND, NDSU, and Northern Iowa are in steady contact as well. The Gophers have been showing me a lot of love when I go to the games. I am starting to get a lot of mail from them as well."

Northern Iowa is Whiting's only offer right now, but expect that list to grow as things move towards signing day.

Gophers stop by Schlagle
J'Veyon Browning is not real big at 5-foot-9 and 165 pounds, but he has speed to burn. The Schlagle senior running back is hearing multiple FBS schools. Minnesota recently stopped by his high school to talk with his head coach.

"A week ago they were at my school, but my head coach was unavailable to talk with them. Another coach at Wandott High School contacted my dad and said Minnesota is very interested in getting in touch with me. I am very interested in them," Browning stated. " I am hearing from Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, South Dakota, Northern Iowa, Iowa, Missouri, and a bunch of D2's right now. I don't have any offers, but a lot of schools they will so I'm just waiting for the process to pick up."

Jarmon has Gophers high on his list
Waco Midway (Texas) wide receiver Hunter Jarmon currently has taken two of his five official visits. He plans to take a visit next weekend to Oregon State. Where do the Gophers stand?

"Minnesota is high on my list. I am definitely still considering them," he said. "I actually just got off the phone with Coach Poore. He was just checking up on me and seeing how my game went last week. I always enjoy hearing from him."

Rivals ranks Jarmon as the No. 63 receiver in the nation.

Gophers still after Coffeyville DT?
Minnesota is continuing to try to upgrade their defensive line. Earlier in the fall, Coffeyville C.C. defensive tackle Terry Jackson began hearing from the Golden Gophers. Is Minnesota still working their Kansas JUCO connections?

"Nah, I haven't heard from them in awhile," Jackson answered. "I didn't talk with Coach Miller last time he was down so the last time we talked was probably like week 3." Jackson plays alongside current Minnesota commitment Jordan Hinojosa. "He plays quite a bit. They have him playing noseguard in like a 1 technique right now."

Jackson currently holds offers from Akron and Southern Miss.

Allison making other plans
Edina receiver Marley Allison has helped his team to a 7-1 record with big wins over Wayzata and Eden Prairie. Allison leads the Hornets with 680 receiving yards and 5 touchdowns. Will Minnesota continue its connection to Edina?

"Nope, I haven't heard from them. It's funny because that is the school that I have always wanted to go and the don't even talk with me. I'll go somewhere else," Allison stated.

Allison looks to lead the Hornets in their first round playoff game on Friday against Robbinsdale Armstrong.

Fordon has PWO opportunity
Providence Catholic (Ill.) linebacker Jack Fordon has connections to the University of Minnesota. His father, John, played at Minnesota under Lou Holtz. Fordon has been focusing on his senior season, but he a couple of opportunities at the next level.

"I have not been able to talk to them much lately because of football," explained Fordon. "I am hoping to call Coach Miller soon to see what's going on. I've been offered a preferred walk-on spot at Northwestern and also have been hearing a lot from Indiana, Colorado, and Boston College. Minnesota actually offered me a preferred walk-on spot this summer when I was up there. I have to send them my senior film to see if they will offer."

Fordon missed two games this season with a broken hand, but has returned to playing with a club on his hand.

Washington excited for return
Rancho Cucamonga athlete Tyan Washington has missed most of his senior season with an injury. Washington as eying a return this week. Despite the injury, Washington is still hearing from Coach Sawvel.

"We just talked like two weeks ago. He wants to see some film of me at corner before they decide if they are going to offer," he said of Minnesota's interest. "I am also hearing from North Dakota. They are about to offer, it could be on Friday."

It appears that Minnesota may offer Washington at corner if they miss out on some targets higher on their board.

Minnesota stil in the mind for Robinson?
Penn State commitment Neiko Robinson visited Minnesota for the Northwestern game and enjoyed his visit. Is he still considering Minnesota?

"Somewhat, I was going to visit Penn State this weekend, but they don't want me to come. They want me to come in December, but I want to go to a game and get a feel for the atmosphere. It made me kind of upset," the three-star added. "It is hard to say with Minnesota, I'm just not sure right now."

Will Penn State not allowing Robinson to visit backfire on them? GI will continue to monitor the situation.

Who hasn't heard from Minnesota lately?
Martrell Spaight
d'Vante Henry
Kalvin Robinson
Bridge Tusler

Note: Ryan and I work very hard to find out all of this information for you and we ask that this premium content stays only on this site. We appreciate your cooperation, thanks!

This post was edited on 10/25 8:12 PM by Lucas Trickle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News