ADVERTISEMENT

Where Are They Now? Gopher Aaron Hosack, WR (2002-2003)

timothynelson53

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2008
Broomfield CO
(6th in a Series)

Where Are They Now? Gopher Aaron Hosack, WR (2002-2003)

Aaron Hosack, 6’5”, 225 lb. wide receiver from Chino CA, played two seasons under Coach Mason at Minnesota after transferring from Mount San Antonio Junior College. Over those 2 seasons he notched 80 receptions, 1463 receiving yards, and 11 TDs. Hosack added a deep passing threat to the Gopher offense to supplement the potent combo rushing attacks of Thomas Tapeh/Terry Jackson in 2002, and Maroney/Barber in 2003. In 2002 he had 9 catches of at least 35 yards, and an average of 22.4 yards/ catch.

After his senior year Aaron signed with the Minnesota Vikings as an undrafted free agent. He spent his rookie year on Minnesota's practice squad before being allocated to NFL Europe. He played for the Frankfurt Galaxy in 2005-2007. In 2006 the Galaxy won World Bowl XIV and Hosack was named to the All-NFL Europe team. He then returned to Minnesota where he was cut by the Vikings during the 2006 preseason. In 2007 Hosack joined the Frankfurt Galaxy. Hosack finished his 3-year stint in NFL Europe with 70 receptions for 1,129 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Aaron also had productive years playing WR/LB in the Arena Football League, with stat lines of 36 receptions/296 yards/9 TDs in 2008 for the Colorado Rush, and 47 receptions/487 yards/12 TDs in 2011 for Kansas City.

Interview Questions:

1.How is your physical health, now 15 years removed from your college football career?

It’s hard to believe that it has been 15 years since those days. Fortunately these days I am in pretty good health. I have a couple kids and a job that keeps me active.

2. What are some of your favorite memories of your time at Minnesota?

My favorite moment at Minnesota was beating Wisconsin for the axe all those years ago. Every year that is the one game that I pay close attention to, waiting for us to get it back. My senior season was the absolute greatest memory. We had a great group of talented guys on the field and really meshed well off the field as well. The 2003 Gopher team was definitely my favorite throughout my entire career.

3. How would you compare the level of competition in NFL Europe, the Arena Football League, and the Big Ten?

I would say the level of competition was very similar in all three. You obviously have elite players in the Big Ten that go onto make an impact in the NFL but NFL Europe also had plenty of players from the Big Ten and other conferences that make impacts in college. The talent was definitely there but there was not enough time to prepare and build your team like you do in the NFL and College. We would have one month of training camp in Florida before we went overseas for the games. After a 10-game season it was over. So you basically had a very talented group of player’s for a span of 3-4 months to try and build chemistry. It was tough but we had some great coaching and were able to do a great job with what we had and brought a championship to Frankfurt in 2006. Arena was definitely a different beast, but I will say some of the best wide receivers I have played with were in the arena days. Ben Nelson (St. Cloud State) and Chad Owens were two of the most talented guys to play the position and were able to showcase that talent in Arena.

4. Did you have other former Gophers as teammates in NFL Europe or the AFL?

One of the best! Rhys Lloyd and I were together in Frankfurt, Germany back in 2007. I’m pretty sure Rhys was the last person to make a four-point field goal in that league. Dominique Sims was also on that Frankurt Galaxy team as well. The legend,Greg Eslinger, was over there as well during that time.

5. Arena Football League stats indicate that in 2008 you were 5 of 6 (83%) in pass completions, for minus 37 yards. Tell us about that, and why Coach Mason didn’t unleash this hidden talent with the Gophers.

Haha, I’m not sure where that stat came from. I do not recall throwing a pass in arena. Coach Mason was not missing out on anything, Tony Patterson was definitely the arm in the receiver room. I did catch a reverse pass from Danny Upchurch (DB)in the Music City Bowl vs Alabama as well.

6. What important life lessons would you say you’ve learned from your football experiences?

Be on time and do what is asked of you. Listen to your mentors and coaches because they will have your best interests and they know a hell of a lot more than you at that time. Be determined to persevere through whatever you go through; it will make you stronger on the other side.

7. Did you get your degree from the U of M? What was your field of study?

I did not finish up my degree.

8. Your linkedin page indicates you work as Director of Operations for 1-800-GOT- JUNK? in Kansas. Tell us a little about this position and your work history since your football playing days.

After I got done playing I coached with one of my mentor’s Jeff Sims at Fort Scott Community College for a couple years then moved to Kansas City and began working for 1-800- GOT-JUNK. I started off in the trucks loading junk. Eventually became an Operations manager and soon after became business partners with Tyler Staszak and Josh Herron. My role these days has a heavy focus on creating business leader’s and franchise partner’s through our entrepreneurial program. What I love about it is that I get to coach every day. I have the opportunity to work closely with teams in nine different states who deliver a unique and outstanding service as well as develop leaders that can eventually own/operate their own franchise.

9. Any family/relationship news you want to share?

I have a wife and two kids, who are definitely repping the Gophers in Kansas City.

10. How actively do you follow Gopher football? Do you get back for any games? Are you a member of the MN Rivals site? Do you keep in touch with any former GG teammates?

I try to catch every game and at least make it to a home game every other year and catch up with some former teammates. I absolutely love going back to Minnesota. Last year for Homecoming was fantastic, there were so many of my former teammates there. It’s always great to see those guys and their families.

11. Do you have any Gopher tattoos? (Pics if possible)

No Gopher tats.

12. Are you involved in any post-football sports/fitness/physical activities and/or coaching?

I do not attempt to play sports anymore, I came to the realization a few years ago that I am not even close to where I was at one point athletically. The closet I get these days is sitting in the fold-out chair on the sidelines of my kids sports.

13. Concussions and CTE are on the minds of many sports fans and participants. If you have or will have kids, will you encourage or allow them to play tackle football?

This has definitely been a thought. I have my son in flag football to start. I probably wouldn’t let him do contact until high school and at that point it’ll be his call whether he wants to play or not. But I do believe that there is an effort to improve the level of play and make things safer at times. It has always been a violent sport and if he were to play I would encourage him and hopefully teach him how to play it the right way and how to protect himself.

14. Have you done anything exciting/unusual/inspiring since your football days? (e.g.- travel, volunteering, community activities, learning to play the harmonica, living in a cave, etc.)

My favorite thing to do these days is travel with my wife. I love hiking and camping.

15. Do you have any message for Gopher fans or the current team?

GET THE AXE!

16. What might Gopher fans be surprised to learn about you?

I grew up in California, lived in Germany and a few other US cities but my favorite place in the world is the Twin Cities.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News