ADVERTISEMENT

Where Are They Now? Gopher Jon Hoese, FB (2007-2010)

timothynelson53

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2008
Broomfield CO
16th in a series

Where Are They Now? Gopher Jon Hoese, FB (2007-2010)

Former Gopher fullback Jon Hoese, 6’2” 235 lbs., grew up on a farm in Glencoe MN, and attended Glencoe-Silver Lake High School, and came to the U of M with a hard-nosed blue-collar ethic. Few people know that he gave up a promising career in snowmobile racing to walk on with the Gophers. Playing special teams as a freshman, Jon went on to be a 4-year letter winner, was awarded a scholarship as a junior, and served as a team captain his senior year. He played in 42 games for Minnesota. Serving mainly as lead blocker for quarterback Adam Weber and running backs De’Leon Eskridge and Du’ane Bennett, Hoese also had 52 career rushes for 161 yards and 6 TDs, and 23 pass receptions for 184 yards and one touchdown. He also tallied 22 tackles on special teams.

Gopher teammates and fans rallied around Jon and his family in 2010, when his father Terry suffered a serious stroke days prior to the season-opener at Middle Tennessee State. With his family’s encouragement, Hoese elected to play the game, to honor his father. He scored 3 touchdowns, including the game-winner, and sealed the emotional Gopher victory with a late fumble recovery, earning a game-ball award from HC Tim Brewster. Sadly, his father’s condition declined and he died 4 days after the Middle Tennessee State game.

After his college career, Hoese signed in 2011 with the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent, was cut, but in December was signed again, to the Packers practice squad. He took part in their training camp in 2012 but after only a week in, he pulled a hamstring, effectively sidelining him for the remainder of camp, and was released in August. In January, 2013, he was signed to a reserve/future contract by the Oakland Raiders, participated in their training camp, but was released in late August.

Jon now works as a vice president and loan officer for Security Bank and Trust in the Twin Cities.

Interview Questions:

1.How is your physical health, now 8 years removed from your Gopher football career? Do you have lingering effects from concussions or any other football injuries?

My physical health has been good. I was pretty fortunate to not have any serious physical injuries. I had some bumps and bruises and some stitches but no broken bones or ligament tears or anything too serious. I never had any diagnosed concussions in college or in the pros so I think I got pretty lucky to get out of the game without anything too severe.

2. I believe you participated in three NFL training camps as an undrafted free agent. Can you describe some of the highs and lows of that experience? How hard was it to let go of the NFL dream?

Yes, I went through 3 training camps, 2 with the GB Packers and 1 training camp with the Oakland Raiders. An NFL training camp is a different animal. You are going against the best of the best every day and it is no longer just for fun. You are competing for a job so you need to perform as well as you can every rep every day.

I think some of the highs are being able to travel to these pro stadiums and compete against some household names. You are going up and competing with future Hall of Famers. You really get to see why these guys are as good as they are and how they play the game.

I think the lows would be the business side of the NFL. This is now your job and there is no longer a guarantee that you’ll be on the team like high school or college. If you get hurt, you might be cut because of it.

3. What are some of your favorite memories of your time at Minnesota (on and/or off the field)?

I loved my time at the University of Minnesota. Being from Minnesota, I loved being able to represent our school and throw that jersey on every Saturday. I really don’t have a bad experience from my time in school. I enjoyed the camaraderie with teammates at workouts, practices, games, etc. I loved (and still do) interacting with the fans and talking football.

Some of my favorite memories were from hanging out with teammates. I wish I could go more into depth but there was always stuff going on in the locker room with people keeping the mood light after a tough practice or brutal workout. Flights home after a win were always fun as well. I think some of the better memories are from stuff that happened, where at the moment, didn’t seem like a big thing.

4. What is your favorite Coach Brewster story?

There are quite a few good Brewster stories. Some good, some bad, but come find me in person and I’ll be happy to share some!

5. What was the most satisfying Gopher win of your career? The toughest loss?

It’s hard to say what the toughest loss was as losing is never fun. I do know there were a few games through the years where we let a lead slip away. That’s never a fun feeling when a team comes back and beats you.

The most satisfying win, the one that sticks out the most above anything else, was the last Gopher game I ever played in. The game was against Iowa (I think they were ranked #23? at the time) in 2010 at TCF Bank Stadium for the Floyd of Rosedale. We were 2-9, I had some injuries throughout the year that slowed me down, my dad had passed 4 days after our first game that season, and Brewster had been fired. Understandably so, but we really felt we had no one supporting us or in our corner that thought we would have a chance to beat Iowa except our coaches and the players on that team. I remember all week Coach Jeff Horton made the practices fun for us and expressed how this will be the last time we are all together for a game, players and coaches alike, so why not go out and do everything we can to end on a high note. We ended up beating Iowa that night and I remember running over and grabbing the Floyd of Rosedale before getting swarmed by teammates and fans. As many lows as my senior season brought, that win felt so special. It felt good to win a trophy as our last game and end the Gopher career on a high note.

6. You experienced the tragic loss of your father during your senior year at Minnesota. Can you tell us how your experience in football and being part of a team helped you deal with that loss?

Yes, for those that do not know the story, my dad, Terry Hoese, woke up with a bad headache one morning and decided to go to the clinic and get it checked out. My mom had taken him in and at that appointment they thought he may be suffering from a stroke. From Waconia, they rushed him down to HCMC in downtown Minneapolis. In the beginning it seemed things were getting better before it snowballed for the worst. After 12 days in the hospital, he passed away at the age of 53 on Sept. 10, 2010.

At the time I kept thinking this couldn’t have happened at a worse time. Here I am getting ready for my senior season with high hopes for the year and unfortunately my dad has fallen ill. My schedule changed through camp. Coach Brewster was very understanding with the situation so he allowed me to go to practice in the mornings and skip everything else the rest of the day to be at the hospital with my family. When my dad had actually passed away, our family was grateful to be supported by so many people. Growing up in the small town of Glencoe, MN, we had many friends that came to support our family. Teammates came out on a bus for the wake and many Gopher fans sent cards or flowers. In hindsight, I think it was the best thing in such a terrible situation. My dad’s funeral was on a Friday and with the support of family, I elected to play in the game the next day. My teammates were there for me that day and continued to check in and keep my spirits up through the season and even after that. I am thankful to have been surrounded by so many caring people.

7. What other important life lessons did you learn from your football experiences?

As you get older you really appreciate the lessons you learn in football. I have been able to work and play with so many guys from so many backgrounds. You really get to see different perspectives and learn to work with different people. I think that has been a great thing to take away from football. Football has also taught a lot about perseverance and bringing the right attitude to each day.

8. Did you get your degree from the U of M, or elsewhere? What was your field of study?

I did, I graduated with a Business and Marketing degree.

9. Were you a Gopher football fan growing up? What are your early memories of Gopher football?

I was a Gopher fan growing up. I always cheered for the hometown teams but I think my love for the Gophers really went higher after seeing our close family friend, Willie Vandesteeg get recruited and play for the Gophers. From the time my brother Chad and Willie were in 7th grade, Willie was always at our farm hanging out with my brother so naturally I tagged along with them. Hearing Willie’s stories from college and how fun campus and the games were, I knew that I wanted to follow in those footsteps and play football for the U of M. My earliest Gopher memories had to be the games of the early 2000’s.

10. Your LinkedIn page indicates you are a vice president and loan officer at Security Bank and Trust. Tell about that position, the path that led you there, and your career aspirations.

Yes, I am a loan officer here at Security Bank and Trust Company. My role is to work with customers to structure financing for their requests. We work with farmers, business owners, real estate investors, and many more. There really isn’t a deal we won’t look at. Security Bank & Trust is actually family owned as my great grandpa, along with some other investors, started the bank in Glencoe, MN back in 1935. It has since grown to a few more locations and is still in our family today. Flagship Bank is the sister bank to Security Bank and has a lot of the same values and products we provide as well. If there is anyone out there looking for financing or looking to bank local, I would be more than happy to take a look and structure a deal.

11. Do you have any family/relationship news you want to share?

No family news to really report on. Since college, I am now an uncle to 2 beautiful nieces.

12. How actively do you follow Gopher football? Do you attend any games? Are you a member of the MN Rivals site? How do you receive most of your Gopher sports news and information? Do you keep in touch with any former GG teammates?

I still try to follow the program closely. I still buy season tickets every year and try to make it to every game that I can. I am not a member of the MN Rivals site, but I do try to follow a lot of the reports on Twitter to get updates surrounding the football program. Yes, I try to keep in touch with old teammates as much as I can. It’s always fun to run into old teammates and reminisce about the days when we were in college.

13. Has the current Gopher coaching staff made any contact with you?

They have not other than some of the emails Norries Wilson sends out to keep some alumni up to date with what is going on down at the U.

14. Do you have any Gopher tattoos? (Pics if possible)

I do not. No tattoos at all actually.

15. Are you active on social media? Which platforms?

I am. I have Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. For Twitter and Instagram, feel free to follow me @J_Hoese. I am also on LinkedIn which you can find me by typing my name in.

16. It appears you rejoined the snowmobile racing circuit last winter after an 11-year hiatus. Was coming back just like riding a bike? Are you still seeking sponsorship(s) for the coming race season?

It’s funny you ask this question. A lot of people might not know this but back when I was younger, I raced snowmobiles for five years through the end of high school. I had some success racing and was climbing the ranks each year. My senior year of high school I was starting to get recruited late by Glen Mason and his staff for football so I wasn’t sure what my future would hold. After Glen and his staff were fired, I didn’t know if the new staff would have any interest in me. I raced that winter at the semi-pro level (one class away from the top level) before hearing from Tim Brewster’s staff around March or April the following spring in that they would be interested in me walking on for the Gophers. I took a serious consideration on which career to pursue before ultimately playing football. My thought was that I could go to college and if football didn’t work out, I could always go back to racing snowmobiles. I’m happy with the choice I made as I will never forget my time at the U of M.

You are correct though, this past winter I was persuaded to get my old race snowmobile out and race a HillCross Race in Lutsen. HillCross is where you race up a ski hill with jumps along the way. I ended up doing well that weekend with a 1st and a 2nd in the finals and immediately got the itch to race again. I made a post on Instagram that I was seeking sponsorship for the 2018/2019 season. Although I was being a little sarcastic with that statement at the time, that has since switched as I have committed to racing the full 2018/2019 National ISOC Snocross Tour. The national circuit starts in Duluth on Thanksgiving weekend with its second stop in MN at Canterbury Downs the first or second weekend after New Year’s. The schedule hasn’t been released yet, but if there is anyone that wants to catch a race, they can find the schedule at www.isocracing.com. If you find yourself out at a race, be sure to say hi!

With that, if you are looking to sponsor and get your name on my snowmobile to promote your business, please let me know!

17. Aside from snowmobile racing, are you involved in any sports/fitness/physical activities and/or coaching? Please describe.

I have helped with a few football camps here and there but otherwise I’m not really involved with any other sports. I did buy a dirt bike to help train for snowmobile racing, so that has kept me busy as I try to take advantage of any time I can get out and ride.

18. Concussions and CTE are on the minds of many sports fans and participants. If/when you have kids, do you think you'll encourage or allow them to play tackle football?

I think I will let them play football. I have learned so much from the game of football and met so many great people that it’d be hard to tell my kids to not play it. If they decide football is not their favorite, I will support them in whatever activity they so choose to play.

19. Have you done anything exciting/unusual/inspiring since your Gopher and NFL tryout days? (e.g.- travel, volunteering, community activities, Dutch clog dancing, etc.)

I would say I have been trying to travel more the last few years. I do not have any kids or pets so I don’t have anything really tying me down from getting away for a few days.

I do try and help with volunteering events when time allows. One event I enjoy being a part of is Fashion Fest which is an event in the fall that benefits the U of M Children’s Hospital. If you have not been to it, do some research and buy some tickets. It’s a fun event to attend.

20. What might Gopher fans be surprised to learn about you?

This is always a tough one because I don’t know what Gopher fans all know about me. Some might be surprised I grew up on a farm, where others might be surprised that I might be the only person to have raced snowmobiles and play a game of football on Lambeau Field in Green Bay with my days of racing snowmobiles along with my time I was with the Packers. I like interacting with people so if you have questions, please reach out.

21. Do you have any message for Gopher fans, Coach Fleck, or the current team? What is your prediction for the 2018 season record?

My message to the current team would be to enjoy the journey. The seniors said it to us on our first day; your college experience will go faster than you think. You are going to have some of the best experiences of your life with some of your closest friends. Have fun, work hard, and enjoy the experience because when you’re done with it, you don’t want to have any regrets.

Thank you so much for allowing me to share some of my stories and experience from college. I hope to see fans at the games this year and share more stories.

Go Gophers!

Jon Hoese

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News