ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: Nagao and Blockhus AA at the Natty's!!!

Unlimited424

Gold Member
Jul 4, 2013
Richmond, VA
The NCAA announced the D1 Natty Tournament At-Large Qualifiers this afternoon! For us that meant that Andrew Sparks and Garrett Joles got At-Large bids, giving us 9 qualifiers!!

Brayton Lee didn't get an At-Large bid. and even though he's been a 2x AA and an elite wrestler, at 4-9 this year there was just no way he was going to qualify. I have an informed knowledge of his situation and he's been injured and sick much of the year. It always seemed like he was ready to turn thew corner and be an elite wrestler again, but this year it was just not to be!

The D1 Championship brackets will be out tomorrow, and I'll post them then. I'm very excited about the tournament nine days from now, and I think our guys are very much READY TO GO!!!

Here's the article from Gophersports.com, followed by another article from NCAA.org which lists all of the 47 At-Large Qualifiers:

Sparks, Joles Earn At-Large Bids to Round Out Nine NCAA Qualifiers for Minnesota

MGC_B1G_2023_0584.jpg

Gophersports.com
03/7/2023
Wrestling

MINNEAPOLIS - The NCAA announced the 47 at-large selections for next weekend's 2023 NCAA Championships this afternoon, as Andrew Sparks and Garrett Joles each received an at-large bid to compete in Tulsa next weekend.

Sparks and Joles join seven of their fellow teammates who automatically qualified for the national tournament at the Big Ten Championships, making Minnesota one of only nine teams to have nine or more national qualifiers.

Andrew Sparks joins the 165-pound field with a 16-8 record on the season and is coming off a ninth-place finish at the Big Ten championships with a 3-2 record on the weekend. He'll compete in his second career national tournament, previously competing at the 2021 NCAA Championships in which we went 0-2.

Garrett Joles will be making his first career NCAA tournament appearance after bumping up to heavyweight in early December, holding a 15-14 record on the season. Joles most recently placed 10th at the conference tournament with a 3-3 record in Ann Arbor.

Looking ahead, seedings and brackets for the NCAA championships will be announced tomorrow at 7:00 p.m. CST as all nine Golden Gopher national qualifiers await where they will line up in their respective brackets.

The NCAA Championships will take place on March 17-19 inside the BOK Center in Tulsa, Okla. Full coverage of the event can be found on ESPN's family of networks, or fans can follow along for full match-by-match updates on Twitter at @GopherWrestling.

NCAA announces at-large selections for 2023 Division I Wrestling Championships

QGKtIlNE

INDIANAPOLIS — The NCAA announced the 47 at-large selections for the 2023 NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships in Tulsa.

The at-large selections, listed in alphabetical order in each weight class, join the 283 student-athletes that qualified through their conference tournament finishes over the weekend. The at-large selections were made by the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee using the following selection criteria: head-to-head competition, quality wins, results against common opponents, winning percentage, ratings percentage index, coaches ranking and conference tournament finish.

Seeding and brackets for this year’s event will be revealed tomorrow, March 8, during the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships Selection Show on NCAA.com at 8 p.m. ET.

Visit http://ncaa.com/wrestling for more information about this year’s championship.

Here are the at-large selections. You can download a .PDF of the entire field here.

Maryland
Braxton
Brown
Big Ten
West Virginia
Killian
Cardinale
Big 12
South Dakota St.
Tanner
Jordan
Big 12