ADVERTISEMENT

2017 basketball recruiting/transfer notes

Matt Jessen-Howard

Aug 5, 2014
First, McKinley Wright got his release today, and I'm told he spoke with Ben Johnson today. He wasn't explicitly offered a spot and didn't talk to Pitino, but the call taking place still has some significance, in my opinion. I don't expect him to be a Gopher. There are already two small guards in this class, and some relationships would have to be rebuilt. It's also my understanding that he doesn't have a firm offer here. Still, it's certainly something worth monitoring.

An update on Clifton Moore... Moore is the power forward I posted about earlier that decommitted from Indiana but has yet to get a release and Ben Johnson contacted his AAU coach. Moore met with Archie Miller last night, and it's my understanding that he's likely still a take for Miller and Indiana. From a conversation tonight, I think it's likely Moore leaves Indiana, however. Moore has yet to make a decision. I would expect Minnesota to get involved should he get his release.

Frankie Hughes is a past Gopher target that Corey Evans is reporting has heard from Minnesota after deciding to transfer from Missouri. He's a "sit one, play three" combo guard that averaged 7.6 points, 2.6 rebounds, and 1.2 assists for a very bad Missouri team. He only shot 29.6% from the field, which is a little concerning but not awful considering he was a freshman that was asked to do a lot right away. Hughes was also committed to Louisville at one point, so maybe there's a Pitino connection there, but I wouldn't read into it. I don't have any intel with Hughes' situation but my gut would be surprised if he comes here. His teammate, freshman KJ Walton, is also transferring. Walton had a little bit better year and was a better high school prospect as well. He hasn't heard from Minnesota, however.

Also, I posted this before, but just to repeat myself, Reid Travis transferring here isn't happening. I've confirmed that with several De La Salle sources.

There are a few transfers I'm trying to track down and/or talking to people about right now, but at the moment I don't have anything to report on them. It would make a lot of sense for Minnesota to bring in a transfer this year, immediately eligible or not, so I would

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News